Author Topic: The Rondo Mystery  (Read 23203 times)

The Rondo Mystery
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:05:11 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That's really all I can think to write at this time. I do not think I have seen a guy go from great to good to mediocre in such a short span in the entire time I have been a pro sports fan. My son thinks he is injured. Me, I just don't get it.

Re: The Rondo Mystery
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 12:32:56 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

That's really all I can think to write at this time. I do not think I have seen a guy go from great to good to mediocre in such a short span in the entire time I have been a pro sports fan. My son thinks he is injured. Me, I just don't get it.
He was great in the comeback. He had great pressure on the ball, and he push the ball on offense. He needs to be more aggressive from the tip on Wed.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:38:26 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
I know Rondo is extremely arrogant in the way he plays (I can relate a bit..) but when he has games like these, i'd bench his sorry behind for a few minutes extra and tell him when he wants to play like a champ, he can go back out. I would have been perfectly fine to let Marbury rack up the minutes and do the PG work while Rondo sat and got his head together.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:48:09 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

He was great in the comeback. He had great pressure on the ball, and he push the ball on offense. He needs to be more aggressive from the tip on Wed.

He was great to a certain extent in the comeback. He had three or four really bad turnovers in the fourth quarter and made some other bad decisions. He played for about 15 minutes tonight if that much. While he played a key role in the comeback, the Celtics would never had gotten down as far as they had if he had not played so poorly in the first half. For the most part tonight, Rondo played like the Rondo of two years ago.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:51:11 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
He walked the disciplinary tight-rope during the Bulls series, and after game 6 his aggressiveness dropped off because he's doesn't want a suspension and he's on thin ice. Hopefully he can get back his aggressiveness driving without doing anything stupid and punky in game 2.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 01:01:01 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Maybe he's losing his motivation to play hard. All season its been as Rondo goes the team goes. But he becomes super trip dub Rondo in the Bulls series and the Celtics still struggle.
But to be fair inconsistency is one of the knocks on him so he might just be due a couple of bad games.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 01:02:46 AM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
Does Red Bull cause erratic behavior?

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:33:54 AM »

Offline rrc589

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
I actually kind of believe he's sick.  Apparently he arrived at the Garden less than an hour before tip-off. Could this indicate the coaching staff told him to stay home as long as possible to get some rest to try to shake off whatever sickness was ailing him?

I dunno.  I just think something (sickness, ankles) has to be off.  Though I'm leaning more towards physical sickness than ankles. I don't see it being a mental thing at all. Though if he was actually sick, why the up and down roller coaster-like play in this game?  Did he just battle through it in spurts and succumb to it at times? 

I'm so confused.  :-\

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 01:44:23 AM »

Offline HYPE.

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • There can only be one.
^ That's a pretty dope siggy.  8)

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 01:47:19 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I know Rondo is extremely arrogant in the way he plays (I can relate a bit..) but when he has games like these, i'd bench his sorry behind for a few minutes extra and tell him when he wants to play like a champ, he can go back out. I would have been perfectly fine to let Marbury rack up the minutes and do the PG work while Rondo sat and got his head together.
I agree about the arrogance. He was a cancer in his rookie season, but has matured. Confidence is important though in the NBA.

At the end of the game, he lost 2 going to the hole that looked so lackadaisical.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 01:56:48 AM »

Offline joebianca

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
The scrutiny after the Miller/Hinrich fouls is in his head IMO. He's no longer playing loose and is too worried about what people think of him. He's also taking all the wrong shots. He's stopping short of taking the ball to the hoop, instead relying on the floaters that he's consistently shortarming. Other times, he's trying to force an extra pass when he should just take the shot. It was a hell of a weapon having him score 20+ the first five games of the Bulls series, and he has to get back to that. He hasn't played a good game since Game 5 of the first round. Anyone who thinks he was 'great' in the comeback is missing something. Yes, he was more aggressive, but he still committed too many turnovers and wasn't making decisions with conviction. Rondo's strength is his confidence, it'll make you pull your hair out sometimes, but it's worth it. His confidence is somewhere else since the Miller slap. Hopefully with him taking it to the hoop so much in the third quarter today, it's on its way back, but we can't afford any more 2-for-12, 7-turnover games this series.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 02:22:24 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

It's called "being a young player".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 02:32:27 AM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
The scrutiny after the Miller/Hinrich fouls is in his head IMO. He's no longer playing loose and is too worried about what people think of him.
I thought he's supposed to be such a confident guy...

These past games remind me of what may have happened while he was at Kentucky (I didn't watch him, only read about it)- did something happen there where fans started blaming him for the team's losses and things kept going downhill? I'm definitely not saying that's what's happening now, because it's not, but his lack of focus lately gives reason to think that he does worry about what people think of him. Or he's injured, sick, young, or all of the above. All this speculation.. watch him destroy the Magic on Wednesday :P

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 02:44:20 AM »

Offline DanMan08

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Think its much more simple then that, one word, turnovers.  When boston forces turnovers it gives him a chance to get out in transition and be aggressive, which is why he was great early in the bulls series but not so much late.  When he is in the half court, you just play off him and give him the 12-17 footer, or he tries that tear drop which is like 1/4 chance to go in. 

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 04:06:14 AM »

Offline GREEN GIANT

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 1
 >:( Okay you so called Rajon Rondo fans....I mean guys come on. This guy almost pull a triple double for the whole Bulls series, and even though he had a sub par game tonight he almost had another triple double against the Magic. He going to be fine, he is a future All Star, but the reason we are struggling is because we are dog gone tired and the defense is nothing like it was during or championship run and earlier this year. Bashing Rajon is not fair, I rather have him as our PG than have brickbury out THERE! Stop the whining, he not going to have a perfect game every night [dang]...Imagine the Celts with out this kid...He is a future Celtic Legend mark my words.....