Author Topic: Cleveland vs Atlanta  (Read 39915 times)

Re: Cleveland vs Atlanta
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 11:03:45 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
If the Hawks can run and then control the ball in the half court then they can beat these guys but i just don't see it happening

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 11:32:38 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
While I don't think that an upset is even a remote possibility, I do think that Atlanta causes the Cavs the most problems.  The Heat would have been a one man show.  However, the Hawks will have a more athletic team overall (except for whoever matches up with LeCrab) and can run the Cavs off the court at times if they play some defense.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 11:35:08 AM »

Offline silverb

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 16
I say Clevland in 6....
I hope they're close games though.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 11:57:37 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
CLE in 5 or 7....Cle should win both at home....this will not get the Hawks down though...they've been through it before: they were anihilated in Boston last year, I think in every playoff game...Game 3 becomes (as it usually is) pivotal....if the Hawks win, this could go 7....if they don't>>>>4 or 5 tops......our old friend, Joe Johnson could be the key to this series....force James into playing defense...keep him busy......Flip could also be big a la Eddie House...Go Hawks...this years Cavs are not better than the Cs last year...this years Hawks are better and more tested and just won a series...they will be a handful in Atlanta....and if they can ever steal one in Cle>>>>>watch out!!!!

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 12:51:39 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
James already plays intense defense on every posession.  You aren't going to 'force' him to do it, he already does.  Whoever said that Atlanta has better offensive options is crazy.  Maybe you have never seen Lebron play before?

Atlanta is young and athletic.  That is their strength.  They have also been playing every other night for a week and half while the Cavs have been resting. 

Cavs in 4  :)

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 01:02:21 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I have no doubt the Cavs are gonna win this... however, I'm sure Atlanta can make it more difficult for them! I think the key point will be LeBron's matchup! Without Marvin Williams, I think the only guy able to guard him is Josh Smith... I know, he won't be able to follow him at the perimeter, he's a PF but... who else??
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
James already plays intense defense on every posession.  You aren't going to 'force' him to do it, he already does.  Whoever said that Atlanta has better offensive options is crazy.  Maybe you have never seen Lebron play before?

Atlanta is young and athletic.  That is their strength.  They have also been playing every other night for a week and half while the Cavs have been resting. 

And he'll still average around 1 foul per 48 minutes even though he hacks the living hell out of people and commits multiple 50/50 charge/block fouls.   ;)

Just had to get you going.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 01:23:08 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591

And he'll still average around 1 foul per 48 minutes even though he hacks the living hell out of people and commits multiple 50/50 charge/block fouls.   ;)

Just had to get you going.
Thanks Racker, I have an Idea for a poll
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Atlanta is gonna win a couple, they are a pretty good team, Cleveland may be the best team in the NBA, but the Hawks aren't going to lie down the way the Pistons did.

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 02:51:26 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Sweep -- if Marvin isn't healthy enough to defend LeBron well, and do it for 35-40 minutes, I don't expect Atlanta to win a game.

Marvin Williams = very questionable (status update anyone?)

Al Horford = questionable as well? (status update anyone?)

Josh Childress = will be missed in Atlanta over the next week or so.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I have no doubt the Cavs are gonna win this... however, I'm sure Atlanta can make it more difficult for them! I think the key point will be LeBron's matchup! Without Marvin Williams, I think the only guy able to guard him is Josh Smith... I know, he won't be able to follow him at the perimeter, he's a PF but... who else??

I expect to see Joe Johnson get a lot of reps on him.  They are roughly about the same height.

Atlanta will need to play perfect defense and get a huge performance out of Al Horford, who has looks to be the Cavs biggest matchup problem.

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 04:00:29 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The Cavs won 3/4 but the games were very close. I think Atlanta might take Cleveland to 7 games, but will lose because of home court.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 05:15:05 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
I think a lot of you are making a mistake by underestimating Atlanta. They are young, athletic, have some pretty good outside shooters, and have some tough guys too (Zaza, Horford, etc). That combination is exactly what the Cavs don't want/like. Atlanta is long and athletic enough to keep LeCrabDribble from getting to the basket at will. Also, Z always looks very slow and plodding. In this series, I think the Hawks can really expose him more so than normal. Going back about 2-3 years, the Hawks have consistently been a tough match-up for the Cavs.

While the Hawks are just getting out of a 7 game series, you can argue that they're in rhythm. And with such a young team, they shouldn't be that worn out, especially since none of the games were that close. Whereas the Cavs could certainly be very rusty with such a long lay-off, and haven't really been in any playoff-atmosphere games this year (Detroit was garbage). Game 1 is huge in this series - I think Atlanta has a legit shot at taking it. The Cavs could have a cold-shooting night, and the Hawks could steal one. And as others have said, Atlanta will be a tough place for the Cavs to play. If Atlanta can bring it back home even at 1-1, I think they have a legit chance at winning the series.

It'll be interesting to see what the refs do if this series is close (1-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3, etc). IF the Cavs get in trouble, I think the league will do everything possible to guarantee the Cavs advance. I'd love to see the Hawks win the series, but don't think they're good enough to steal 4 games when playing 5-on-8.

Cavs in 7

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 10:04:23 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
This one is gonna be over quick.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cleveland looks very much like LA did last year coming into the post season playing unbelievably great and then running through competition. Of course, LA didn't win it all. When they met a team that would hit back, they faltered.

That's not going to happen in this round as I say Cleveland in 4 or 5, but Cleveland will get a wake up when they face Boston and/or LA.