Author Topic: Should Scal Start Against the Magic (to guard Rashard Lewis)? (merged)  (Read 20943 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Game over, let's look forward. The first questiion that needs to be asked is how does Doc adjust to play against the height and outside game from the Magic's PF and SF positions? I just can't see Baby running around the perimeter chasing Rashard Lewis and being effective. I think Doc has to adjust and start Scalabrini against the Magic.

Lots of good is going to come out of it as Scal will be able to guard the perimeter better than Baby ever could and suddenly the bench will have a scoring threat in the frontcourt coming off the bench. Against the Magic's bench, Baby, Steph, Eddie and maybe Mikki might be a very good weapon for the Celtics.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:00:03 AM by nickagneta »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
That's an interesting idea, Nick, and one I want to mull over tonight. On the surface, it seems like something I'd look hard at: Start Scal, use Baby behind Perkins at the 5.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I had a post about this somewhere a few days ago:  Basically, yeah, I'm with you but for a different reason - the only guys on this team with any shot against Howard are Perk and BBD.  We need one of em off the bench.  I think this is the right idea and I think it's what Doc winds up doing.

Oh yeah, and Courtney Lee is probably out all series which is huge.  He's their best perimeter defender and not having him out there harassing Ray or Paul will be big.  Redick isn't a big slashing threat like Lee either.

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Good question, but I'd stick with Baby for two reasons. 1) i'd prefer if we made Orlando adjust to us and 2) Baby seems to do much better as a starter, while Scal is used to the bench.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It makes sense.  Scal always plays good defense against Lewis, and it would allow us to bring BBD off the bench to make sure that Howard is covered by Perk or BBD (i.e., our only legit big men) at all times.

Ultimately, I'm not sure what I'd do, but I'd strongly consider it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i tend to agree..they are going to need baby on howard to spell perk...i am not worried about any other match up than the lewis one

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
and don't underestimate the loss of lee...he was really playing well....

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
The thread title makes it seem like we have Rashard Lewis.

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I had not thought of this so TP to the original poster.  It is actually a good idea and I'd love BBD against their bench. 

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think Rashard is a very tough matchup for Baby, and not necesarilly because of the 3 point shooting, but because of the length and how Rashard will be able to do in the midrange game and posting up.

Also, we need all the fouls we can get to deal with Howard, so Davis' playing time is best served there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we go small through some stretches with Paul at the 4.

If Miki shows up, he'll be a better matchup against Lewis too.

Have we seen Miki and Perk playing together? I'd be interested in seeing how that would play out as I don't remember.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
scal needs to bother lewis...but lewis is nowhere near 100 percent with his knee...and lee not playing helps..they will go with petrius or reddick at the 2...and i don't think either can stay with ray

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

According to CelticsThug we should have him (we'd have to have Gerald too).

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I edited the title...Does that make it more clear?

I like the idea I guess. 

Scal hit some biggies tonight
Yup

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
The more I think of it, the more I might have to say it makes some sense to start Scal. I will also say that Bill Walker might need to see some PT versus Lewis, due to our injury status.

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

I edited the title...Does that make it more clear?

I like the idea I guess. 

Scal hit some biggies tonight

Now it sounds like Rashard Lewis is still on the team, but Scal is the coach  :P  ;D