Author Topic: Euroleague 2009 Final Four  (Read 6284 times)

Euroleague 2009 Final Four
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:07:43 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm just leaving for the arena (and trying to spend my last coins, as one won't be allowed to carry them into the arena), so this is just a quick heads-up. The semi-finals are today, starting 12:00 PM EST. I'm expecting a great competition, with a great balance amongst teams and excellent matchups and differences on styles of playing. The crowd is going to be wild, there are crazy greeks everywhere. Very hard to make a prediction, the teams are really close. For the firs time in years, CSKA isn't the clear favourite. However, they're still the champions, they have the best coach (Messina), the best player (Siskauskas) and are more experienced than anyone, so I suppose they're the team to beat.

Official site:
http://www.euroleague.net/

Draftexpress previews:
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#2009-Euroleague-Final-Four-Preview-Part-One--3199
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#2009-Euroleague-Final-Four-Preview-Part-Two--3201

Ball in Europe team previews:
http://www.ballineurope.com/countries/greece/euroleague-final-four-preview-olympiacos-piraeus/
http://www.ballineurope.com/countries/russia/euroleague-final-four-preview-cska-moscow/
http://www.ballineurope.com/countries/greece/euroleague-final-four-preview-panathinaikos-athens/

Re: Euroleague 2009 Final Four
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ah dang it, I missed it. I didn't know they were on today.

I'm hoping to watch the final tomorrow though!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 02:54:24 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
A few weeks ago Cordobes watched live Porto against Man Un. Now he attends the Final4 in Berlin... I`m starting not to like the guy !!  ;D ;D ;D

Both semis where HUGE !!! And the results where the opposite of what was my prediction!

Barcelona had control of the game for almost 35mins although Navvaro was in foul trouble very early. But the forth querter was all about the best European bballer Siskauskas. He scored 13 points in a row and turned the game around.

The second semi was even better. Olympiacos had some injury problems. Vasilopoulos didn`t play and Bourousis was in doubt till a few hours before the game. Adding Vujcic`s bad game it`s not strange that panathinaikos had a party in the paint with Pekovic and Batist. For me me MVP is Jasikevicius. Usually he is not as good as he should but yesterday he was sensational(18p in 23 min and 5 as). The pick`n`roll with Batist was unstoppable. Olympiacos had the opportunity to tie the game and go to overtime but Bourousis didn`t make the last shot of the game.

It`s the 11nth final four for Obradovic (in 18 year carrier!!!) and the 4rth consecutive final for CSKA

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 04:35:50 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Both games were fun. It was interesting to watch how Childress just isn`t a good fit for European basketball. If you can`t shoot it is tough in Europe...  ;D

I really like Pekovic. I wanted us to draft him last season but we went with JR instead. He is big and can score down low, that is exactly what we need...

I am looking forward to the finals. Hopefully slovenian combo smodis-lorbek will have a good game tomorrow...

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 07:23:18 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
In fact Childress (or cheerleaders as the non olympiacos fans call him) had a good game in the semi. You are right about his poor shooting. But i must give him credit for being a real pro. His attitude is no different than any other player although he is the "big nba star" and he could act like a "primadonna". Many less famous have done this ....

I don`t know if panathinaikos can afford another bad performance by Diamantidis

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:50:02 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Sad to say panathinaikos won the trophy in a way very very similar to the 2006 final . Even sadder to say that it would have been completety unfair if they didn`t.

The performance at first half was unreal. Unbelievalbe defense , excellent decision offensively , almost no turnovers and as a result a 20 point lead at half time. CSKA seemed like an amateur team from the Bahamas...

Eventually cska made a couple of difficult shots , they strengthen their defense and they cut the lead to 2 points 5 secs to full time. Unfortunately for us CSKA fans :D :D Siskauskas missed the three.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:23:56 AM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Sad to say panathinaikos won the trophy in a way very very similar to the 2006 final . Even sadder to say that it would have been completety unfair if they didn`t.

The performance at first half was unreal. Unbelievalbe defense , excellent decision offensively , almost no turnovers and as a result a 20 point lead at half time. CSKA seemed like an amateur team from the Bahamas...

Eventually cska made a couple of difficult shots , they strengthen their defense and they cut the lead to 2 points 5 secs to full time. Unfortunately for us CSKA fans :D :D Siskauskas missed the three.

I'm a Panathinaikos fan from Greece and I'm so happy for what my team has achieved that I can't describe it!! However, I need to congratulate you cause you showed some heart out there in the 2nd half and you could be as well the winners!!

They were 2 evenly matched teams, we were unbelievable from the 3-point line till half time, you dominated the boards and played some very tough D in the 2nd, but I think that we were deserved winners... After all Obradovic always beats Messina, it's no secret!! :D
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 10:39:11 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
However, I need to congratulate you cause you showed some heart out there in the 2nd half and you could be as well the winners!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Well i`m one of the Greek fans of CSKA :D
megali xalastra mas ekane o siska sto telos LOL

After all Obradovic always beats Messina, it's no secret!! :D

4 games 4 wins for Obradovic ....
Also 8 final4 games and 8 wins for Saras. I can`t remember another player with such a record. Only Kukoc comes to mind with 8 games but lost a final.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 02:08:28 AM »

Offline certpaper

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Edited
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:05:16 PM by Edgar »

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 03:23:03 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157