Author Topic: 2009 Free Agents  (Read 18438 times)

Re: 2009 Free Agents
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2009, 02:10:02 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Also you people are crazy, Gerald is the BEST mascot ever to hit basketball, Will doesn't have a chance.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »

Offline FanFromTheChedda

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
SIGN GERALD GREEN!!!!!

He averaged over 10ppg as a sophomore, he should have been a sophomore in College!

Hes the man and he "loved playing in Boston"

« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'd take Ron Artest. I don't know if he would be ok with coming off the bench but he would be a nice pick up. He's been very good with Houston and his Defense is top notch.
He comes very affordable too.

I'd take Artest at MLE $ too. Not sure he would. 6th man of the year.
God..I think I would too, guys a nut but he'd be great there.  Sign him seeya tony.  I think grant hill would be great.  Our needs are vet backup pg, backup center, backup sf.  I think center spot is really needed.

« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2009, 02:41:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'd take Ron Artest. I don't know if he would be ok with coming off the bench but he would be a nice pick up. He's been very good with Houston and his Defense is top notch.
He comes very affordable too.

I'd take Artest at MLE $ too. Not sure he would. 6th man of the year.
God..I think I would too, guys a nut but he'd be great there.  Sign him seeya tony.  I think grant hill would be great.  Our needs are vet backup pg, backup center, backup sf.  I think center spot is really needed.

artest on this team would be perfect! He's a better version of Posey

« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2009, 02:43:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
SIGN GERALD GREEN!!!!!

He averaged over 10ppg as a sophomore, he should have been a sophomore in College!

Hes the man and he "loved playing in Boston"

Good for him, he's gone to and failed at two other teams.

We don't need the future Euro dunk champion back.

We need, as many have said, a backup PG (heck id take marbury if i could be assured he'd continue to pass and keep his mouth shut...but he wouldn't be my first choice.) Back up SF (grant hill in my dreams) and backup PF/C (sheed in my other dreams.)

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2009, 03:17:05 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Give me Marbury, Matt Barnes, McDyess, and Gortat. Get rid of TA,Pruitt, and Moore (unless we can't upgrade). This gives us a lot more length. 15 players with resigning Powe.

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2009, 04:09:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
With the exception of the few teams who will be under the salary cap, everyone will have the same money to offer free agents.

We have a set starting five, so any free agent who comes here has to be willing to settle for maybe 18-20 minutes of playing time in exchange for contending for a championship. And there are going to be perhaps as many as a dozen teams who can also rightly say they are legitimate contenders for a ring.

So, at the risk of throwing a lot of cold water on this thread, what makes anyone believe that some of these players would take less money for less minutes on a team that has marginally better chances of competing for a title?

We have a better shot at landing players on the level of Udoka, Moon, and Nesterovic than players like Anderson (in line for a payday), Rasheed (who wants $8 million, or the full MLE), and Iverson (who won't settle for 6th man status).

Not that that's a bad thing. Getting a veteran wing like Udoka or Anthony Parker would be a great signing. We shouldn't be targeting stars with our limited resources, we should be looking at complementary role players, glue guys, 8th and 9th men.

While I love McDyess, I don't see how we can afford him. Maybe Ainge can parlay some young players and expiring contracts into some bench help via a trade, and allow us to make a big splash with the MLE signing, but I think it's more likely that he'll be splitting up the MLE to fill out the roster.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2009, 04:14:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
With the exception of the few teams who will be under the salary cap, everyone will have the same money to offer free agents.

We have a set starting five, so any free agent who comes here has to be willing to settle for maybe 18-20 minutes of playing time in exchange for contending for a championship. And there are going to be perhaps as many as a dozen teams who can also legitimately say they are legitimate contenders for a ring.

So, at the risk of throwing a lot of cold water on this thread, what makes anyone believe that some of these players would take less money for less minutes on a team that has marginally better chances of competing for a title?

We have a better shot at landing players on the level of Udoka, Moon, and Nesterovic than players like Anderson (in line for a payday), Rasheed (who wants $8 million, or the full MLE), and Iverson (who won't settle for 6th man status).

Not that that's a bad thing. Getting a veteran wing like Udoka or Anthony Parker would be a great signing. We shouldn't be targeting stars with our limited resources, we should be looking at complementary role players, glue guys, 8th and 9th men.

While I love McDyess, I don't see how we can afford him. Maybe Ainge can parlay some young players and expiring contracts into some bench help via a trade, and allow us to make a big splash with the MLE signing, but I think it's more likely that he'll be splitting up the MLE to fill out the roster.

A dozen teams will be legitimate contenders next year? That's 7-8 more teams than this year or last.

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2009, 04:19:56 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

We have a set starting five, so any free agent who comes here has to be willing to settle for maybe 18-20 minutes of playing time in exchange for contending for a championship. And there are going to be perhaps as many as a dozen teams who can also legitimately say they are legitimate contenders for a ring.

A dozen teams will be legitimate contenders next year? That's 7-8 more teams than this year or last.

There is a big difference in what you implied he said and what he actually said. He said that there were up to a donzen teams who could SAY they are contenders. We all know by the end of the year there are only a handful who actually are, but it isn't tough at all to imagine being able to say that more could, especially with this new signee's effect on the team. In addition to this years Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Lakers, Rockets, and Nuggets you could make an argument for the Jazz, Hornets, Spurs, Hawks, and Heat. That's 11 right there! A couple trades and you could easily have a couple more.

You're just trying to pick a fight BBall Tim...

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2009, 04:23:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Top 4 teams in each conference, plus a couple more at-large teams, makes close to a dozen, no?

Any team that enters the playoffs as a top 4 seed can claim they are legit contenders for a title.

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There is a big difference in what you implied he said and what he actually said. He said that there were up to a donzen teams who could SAY they are contenders. We all know by the end of the year there are only a handful who actually are, but it isn't tough at all to imagine being able to say that more could, especially with this new signee's effect on the team. In addition to this years Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Lakers, Rockets, and Nuggets you could make an argument for the Jazz, Hornets, Spurs, Hawks, and Heat. That's 11 right there! A couple trades and you could easily have a couple more.

You're just trying to pick a fight BBall Tim...

Anyone who signed with the Hawks or the Heat this year to win the title this year would have reminded me of the guy from Stripes who enlisted so he wouldn't have to be worried about being drafted. On the other hand, McDyess went back to the Pistons. I guess I'm overestimating the intelligence of the average NBA player.

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2009, 04:38:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't know if anyone said this, but I don't think Gerald Green would look good in a leprechan suit at all, although he could save them money on trampolines by making sweet dunks without them.

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Anyone who signed with the Hawks or the Heat this year to win the title this year would have reminded me of the guy from Stripes who enlisted so he wouldn't have to be worried about being drafted. On the other hand, McDyess went back to the Pistons. I guess I'm overestimating the intelligence of the average NBA player.

True, but neither team finished well last season, so they couldn't make a believable claim that they were close to competing for a title.

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Contenders next year:

Don't need to explain category

Boston
LA
Cleveland
Orlando
Denver

Need to explain category

San Antonio - they still have their Big Three and Mason but some of the other parts are getting old. But I think they could easily say to the right FA that their addition could be what puts them back into elite status.

Portland - the youngest really good team out there that might become contenders simply by having their players mature and improve. If Oden could become a 12/10/3 guy, that goes a long way to making them a real contender. It's not out of the question they could convince someone that they would win it all through team improvement and that player's addition to the team.

Dallas - maybe the last year for a long time that Dallas could conceivably say that they are still contenders, but if Sheed would take the MLE to play there, they really are contenders.

Houston - they will bring back a hopefully healthy McGrady, one of the best defensive teams in the league and Yao in his prime. How could they not say to a free agent "Come join us, we're real close to winning it all."

Utah - if Boozer resigns, I think it is very easy for them to market themselves to potential free agents as true contenders. This year Boozer was mostly injured and this team went far. Is it out of the question that they portray themselves to a savy vet as contenders for it all if he could come in and help stabilize this team on the road.

Chicago - based on what they did to the Celtics without playing Luol Deng, arguably their best player, the Bulls could be stretching it by arguing that they are true contenders but they are young with lots of upside left to come and they now have playoff grit and tenacity. If Gordon re-signs early, they could state they need only one player to push them into real title contention.

Just one man's opinion. That's 11 teams in my opinion. Every other team would be full of crap if they tried to portray themselves as title contenders to free agents. Of course some teams don't need to do that as they have weather and cities that can be marketed, like NY, Phoenix, and Miami.

« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2009, 12:07:10 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Contenders next year:

Don't need to explain category

Boston
LA
Cleveland
Orlando
Denver

Need to explain category

San Antonio - they still have their Big Three and Mason but some of the other parts are getting old. But I think they could easily say to the right FA that their addition could be what puts them back into elite status.

Portland - the youngest really good team out there that might become contenders simply by having their players mature and improve. If Oden could become a 12/10/3 guy, that goes a long way to making them a real contender. It's not out of the question they could convince someone that they would win it all through team improvement and that player's addition to the team.

Dallas - maybe the last year for a long time that Dallas could conceivably say that they are still contenders, but if Sheed would take the MLE to play there, they really are contenders.

Houston - they will bring back a hopefully healthy McGrady, one of the best defensive teams in the league and Yao in his prime. How could they not say to a free agent "Come join us, we're real close to winning it all."

Utah - if Boozer resigns, I think it is very easy for them to market themselves to potential free agents as true contenders. This year Boozer was mostly injured and this team went far. Is it out of the question that they portray themselves to a savy vet as contenders for it all if he could come in and help stabilize this team on the road.

Chicago - based on what they did to the Celtics without playing Luol Deng, arguably their best player, the Bulls could be stretching it by arguing that they are true contenders but they are young with lots of upside left to come and they now have playoff grit and tenacity. If Gordon re-signs early, they could state they need only one player to push them into real title contention.

Just one man's opinion. That's 11 teams in my opinion. Every other team would be full of crap if they tried to portray themselves as title contenders to free agents. Of course some teams don't need to do that as they have weather and cities that can be marketed, like NY, Phoenix, and Miami.

Yep, those were the teams that came to my mind as well. Some in that second category will have to have good/smart/lucky offseasons to really challenge for a title. Atlanta might belong in there too, but only if they can bring back Bibby, and possibly Zaza or another center.

There are some other outliers too that could make a quantum leap this offseason. If Washington wins the lottery, for instance, they could be a scary team. Detroit has all that cap room, and could drastically retool. And Sam Presti in OK City could have a great offseason with the draft and free agency/trades to suddenly make the Thunder more than just relevant.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 12:13:06 AM by Lucky17 »