Author Topic: 2009 Free Agents  (Read 18382 times)

Re: 2009 Free Agents
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 08:02:50 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Next year I'd like our roster to look like this.

Rondo/Marbury
Allen/Parker/House
Pierce/Hill/Scalabrine
Garnett/Davis/Powe
Perkins/Wallace

If we don't/can't resign both Davis and Powe then I would go for Anderson, McDyess, Rasho or Zaza. I'd like to see Moore and Pruitt gone, I don't think it matters whether or not Giddens stays or goes, TA is quickly losing my trust and if we can convince someone to take him I'd do it and I'd like to see Walker given a chance to possibly displace Scal or House from the active roster (and the recipient of the displacement traded). I'd love to see Danny buy a first round pick and make the 15th spot Tyler Hansbrough.

Bibby, Kidd, Iverson, Miller, Gordon, Artest, Marion, Udoka, Ariza, Odom and Wilcox will be too expensive to sign here. I think Chris Anderson may have priced himself out of Boston as well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:09:46 AM by celticmaestro »

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 09:25:21 AM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I'd love to see Rasheed in green. Anthony Parker would be good off the bench. I'd unload Powe, Tony Allen, Marbury and Moore.

Love to see Ainge buy a first rounder, but would rather see him go with a guy like Jrue Holiday or Darren Collison over Hansbrough.

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 09:49:44 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd love to sign Hill, McDyess, Andersen, or Parker.  I want nothing to do with the lazy Rasheed Wallace.  I could go either way with Marbury if he takes a cheap contract.  And I absolutely do not want to have to see Mikki Moore in green next year.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
There are a ton of decent players who could help us.  I'd like to see either Grant Hill or Anthony Parker at backup SF, and Rasheed or McDyess at backup big.  If we want a "true" center, both Zaza and Rasho have talent.

Unfortunately, there still aren't going to be any good backup PGs in our price range.  Maybe Bobby Jackson?

It will be interesting to see what the team does.  I think we need to bring back BBD (long term) and Powe (qualifying offer), and part ways with Gabe, Starbury, and Moore (and Tony, if we can find a taker).

Agreed.  I'd go with Zaza or Rasjp.  I think a true center would be a better complement to BBD and Powe.

Yeah, and it would be nice to have the length.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 10:10:57 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Rondo/Marbury
Allen/Parker/House
Pierce/Hill/Scalabrine
Garnett/Davis/Powe
Perkins/Wallace

If we don't/can't resign both Davis and Powe then I would go for Anderson, McDyess, Rasho or Zaza. I'd like to see Moore and Pruitt gone, I don't think it matters whether or not Giddens stays or goes, TA is quickly losing my trust and if we can convince someone to take him I'd do it and I'd like to see Walker given a chance to possibly displace Scal or House from the active roster (and the recipient of the displacement traded). I'd love to see Danny buy a first round pick and make the 15th spot Tyler Hansbrough.

Bibby, Kidd, Iverson, Miller, Gordon, Artest, Marion, Udoka, Ariza, Odom and Wilcox will be too expensive to sign here. I think Chris Anderson may have priced himself out of Boston as well.

I love your lineup, but I think it is a stretch to imagine the Cs can sign Grant Hill, Anthony Parker and Rasheed Wallace with the MLE and vet mins.  I imagine that any one of those guys (with the possible exception of Hill) will be more expensive than either Udoka or Ariza.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 10:18:43 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

Rondo/Marbury
Allen/Parker/House
Pierce/Hill/Scalabrine
Garnett/Davis/Powe
Perkins/Wallace

I love your lineup, but I think it is a stretch to imagine the Cs can sign Grant Hill, Anthony Parker and Rasheed Wallace with the MLE and vet mins.  I imagine that any one of those guys (with the possible exception of Hill) will be more expensive than either Udoka or Ariza.

While this is true, I think that Ariza and Udoka are still young(ish) guys who would look for a big(ish) contract. I'd like to think Hill and Sheed are after a ring and not money (or max playing time). Parker I'm not sure about, but there are teams crazy enough to give him a bit of money. Who knows?

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 10:26:09 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Rondo/Marbury
Allen/Parker/House
Pierce/Hill/Scalabrine
Garnett/Davis/Powe
Perkins/Wallace

While this is true, I think that Ariza and Udoka are still young(ish) guys who would look for a big(ish) contract. I'd like to think Hill and Sheed are after a ring and not money (or max playing time). Parker I'm not sure about, but there are teams crazy enough to give him a bit of money. Who knows?

Good point.  It will be an interesting FA market because those teams with cap room are most likely going to try to preserve it until 2010 when all sorts of FAs hit the market (not just players like LBJ, Dwade and Bosh, but also Joe Johnson, Camby, and others).  On the other hand, there will be a bunch of "contenders" without cap room who will use their MLE aggressively (Cleveland, LA, Boston, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Orlando).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 10:32:44 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
it really surprises me that more people aren't talking about artest coming here.

he's the PERFECT fit for this team over the next 1-3 years. can you say: Lebron James?

he's not going to go play for a team with cap money, other than maybe Detroit, who I doubt will sign him after his time in the stands at The Palace. he may re-sign with Houston, he may not. Ray and Paul would happily sacrifice minutes to have him -- and frankly they could use it.

The greatest myth out there is the Cs are going to have cap space when Ray's deal expires -- they're going to have to pay Rondo a substantial amount of money, and Baby will also be more expensive than previously thought. This is not to mention the need to pay additional players to come in as role guys. The cap is also likely to go down

Pay Artest the full MLE over 3 years. He may agree to have a chance to play with KG, Paul, Ray. He can play minutes behind each of them. And playing with Rondo doesn't just happen everyday.

We will have to compete with other teams looking to do the same -- the Lakers, Spurs, etc. But the effort shout me made.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
it really surprises me that more people aren't talking about artest coming here.

he's the PERFECT fit for this team over the next 1-3 years. can you say: Lebron James?

he's not going to go play for a team with cap money, other than maybe Detroit, who I doubt will sign him after his time in the stands at The Palace. he may re-sign with Houston, he may not. Ray and Paul would happily sacrifice minutes to have him -- and frankly they could use it.

The greatest myth out there is the Cs are going to have cap space when Ray's deal expires -- they're going to have to pay Rondo a substantial amount of money, and Baby will also be more expensive than previously thought. This is not to mention the need to pay additional players to come in as role guys. The cap is also likely to go down

Pay Artest the full MLE over 3 years. He may agree to have a chance to play with KG, Paul, Ray. He can play minutes behind each of them. And playing with Rondo doesn't just happen everyday.

We will have to compete with other teams looking to do the same -- the Lakers, Spurs, etc. But the effort shout me made.

I agree Artest would be great.  But he will be way too pricey.  He is one of the top 5 FAs this offseason (along with - arguably -  Ben Gordon, Shawn Marion, Rasheed Wallace, Lamar Odom, runners up would be AI and Jason Kidd).  He seems to have found a place for himself in Houston, and my best guess is that he resigns there.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Rondo/Marbury
Allen/Parker/House
Pierce/Hill/Scalabrine
Garnett/Davis/Powe
Perkins/Wallace

Yeah, from what I've read, Ariza will be looking for a deal between $6 - $8 million, said he would never sign in Boston, and seems likely to be re-upped by the Lakers.  It's almost guaranteed that he signs for more than a guy like Parker.

As for Udoka, though, I can't see him getting any big offers.  I could be wrong, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 11:11:33 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Regarding Ron Artest, there were reports that Houston's locker room was a mess this year.  There seemed to be problems between Tmac and Artest.  I have no idea who was at fault, but issues like this seem to follow Artest wherever he goes.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Regarding Ron Artest, there were reports that Houston's locker room was a mess this year.  There seemed to be problems between Tmac and Artest.  I have no idea who was at fault, but issues like this seem to follow Artest wherever he goes.

I don't know why anyone would want Ron Artest if Mike Chaffy is available. Best player Ron's seen, unsigned out of Queen's Bridge.

Better than Brandon Roy!

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I'm blaming that on T-Mac. The same can be said for him -- and KG and / or PP, he's not.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

It shouldn't surprise you because Artest is not the perfect fit for this team.  If he was willing to come off the bench, maybe, but he's not, as he has already said he wanted to be "the man" and he can't be that coming off the bench.  Why people think Artest would be a good soldier coming off the bench is beyond me.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 11:35:35 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I hear there is a fine, young man named Mikki Moore who will be a free agent in 2009.

On a more serious note, here is a full lisdt of 2009/2010 free agents, including restricted status.

There are a few strategies the Celtics can pursue, since I think they will still try to construct a cheap bench.  Their preferred strategy is probably to find a veteran willing to take a pay cut in exchange for a ring.  Another strategy is to seek players who are cheap because of injury concerns.  Then, you can take the Patrick O'Bryant approach and hope to coax results out of an underachiever.  Or look for another Marbury-like situation.

If the Celtics can't find some veteran mercenary ring-hunters, should they try to fill out their bench with high-risk, high-reward gambles or should they go for dependable mediocrity which can soak up minutes?  With a team that will be coming off of an injury-plagued season, it is tempting to opt for the latter, but taking the former course is probably more appealing to Ainge, since he has the fall-back of looking for more buy-outs at the trading deadline.

I hope they won´t do that again, at least at backup C. We need a legit 7 footer who can play the game!

1. Give me Rasho Nesterovic, and I´m a happy little fanboy.

2. Target a long 3 with defense and range with the LLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhS__ao5i-w

4. Trade some of our expirers at the deadline for a backup PG.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.