Author Topic: 2009 Free Agents  (Read 18447 times)

2009 Free Agents
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Partial List:

PG
Mike Bibby, Jason Kidd, AI, Brevin Knight, Tyronn Lue, Andre Miller, Ronnie Price

SG/SF
Matt Barnes, Grant Hill, Donyell Marshall, Ben Gordon, Wally Z, Dahntay Jones, Ron Artest, Walter Hermann, Anthony Parker, Shawn Marion, Ime Udoka, Trevor Ariza, Desmond Mason, Mo Pete, Darius Miles, Stromile Swift

PF/C
Lamar Odom, Drew Gooden, Joe Smith , McDyess, Rasheed Wallace, Chris Andersen, Zaza Pachulia, Rasho Nesterovic, Jarron Collins, Jason Collins, Melvin Ely, Chris Wilcox, Theo Ratliff, Marcin Gortat

Mascot
Will Solomon, Gerald Green

Celtics fan for life.

Re: 2009 Free Agents
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:17 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I think we should give Will Solomon his own category.

Hall Of Famers
Will Solomon
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK
I'll take Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, Wally Z, and Rasheed please.
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:55:34 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'll take Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, Wally Z, and Rasheed please.

Sounds like the 95 all-star team
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:03:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'd go for Sheed and Hill.

Assuming we resign Baby our bench would be set, IMO.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:05:37 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
I really wish we could some how get Delonte West back. He would be the perfect bench guy.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:23:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In a dream world where money didn't matter Joe Smith and Trevor Ariza are the guys I would target for long term and Pachulia, Nesterovic, Sheed, Hill, Barnes and Hermann for short term.

My guess is they go for a long term resign of Baby, offering Leon a qualifying offer, offering Marbury a two year deal, and targeting a combo of two of three of the following with the MLE and LLE: Hill, Zaza, and Nestorovic.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Hill, Jones, Zaza and Rasho would be decent targets.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:56:53 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
In a dream world where money didn't matter Joe Smith and Trevor Ariza are the guys I would target for long term and Pachulia, Nesterovic, Sheed, Hill, Barnes and Hermann for short term.

My guess is they go for a long term resign of Baby, offering Leon a qualifying offer, offering Marbury a two year deal, and targeting a combo of two of three of the following with the MLE and LLE: Hill, Zaza, and Nestorovic.

You'd offer Joe Smith long term money?

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »

Offline silverb

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 16
I'd take Ron Artest. I don't know if he would be ok with coming off the bench but he would be a nice pick up. He's been very good with Houston and his Defense is top notch.
He comes very affordable too.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 11:15:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I hear there is a fine, young man named Mikki Moore who will be a free agent in 2009.

On a more serious note, here is a full lisdt of 2009/2010 free agents, including restricted status.

There are a few strategies the Celtics can pursue, since I think they will still try to construct a cheap bench.  Their preferred strategy is probably to find a veteran willing to take a pay cut in exchange for a ring.  Another strategy is to seek players who are cheap because of injury concerns.  Then, you can take the Patrick O'Bryant approach and hope to coax results out of an underachiever.  Or look for another Marbury-like situation.

If the Celtics can't find some veteran mercenary ring-hunters, should they try to fill out their bench with high-risk, high-reward gambles or should they go for dependable mediocrity which can soak up minutes?  With a team that will be coming off of an injury-plagued season, it is tempting to opt for the latter, but taking the former course is probably more appealing to Ainge, since he has the fall-back of looking for more buy-outs at the trading deadline.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:44:59 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'd take Ron Artest. I don't know if he would be ok with coming off the bench but he would be a nice pick up. He's been very good with Houston and his Defense is top notch.
He comes very affordable too.

I'd take Artest at MLE $ too. Not sure he would. 6th man of the year.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 12:20:13 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
On a more serious note, here is a full lisdt of 2009/2010 free agents, including restricted status.

Thanks for the link to the official list.
I figured there was one out there, but had fun going through hoopshype's salaries to put the list together. 

I was interested to see a bunch of names I didn't realize were FAs.

I stand by an earlier statement that how the offseason plays out depends on who DA can get for Tony+Scal.  For example, if he can trade them for Barbosa (again, for example), then I don't think it would be unreasonable** for the Cs to split the MLE between Ariza and Rasho (for example).  Assuming BBD and Powe are resigned, the starting 5 would remain the same, and the bench would be Barbosa, House, Ariza, BBD and Rasho.  Pruitt, Giddens, Walker, Powe and someone else round out the rest of the team.  Not bad, IMHO.

(**I am trying to be realistic here -- yes I would love it if the Cs could use the MLE on Kidd, Artest and Sheed all at once, but... aint gonna happen).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 07:48:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There are a ton of decent players who could help us.  I'd like to see either Grant Hill or Anthony Parker at backup SF, and Rasheed or McDyess at backup big.  If we want a "true" center, both Zaza and Rasho have talent.

Unfortunately, there still aren't going to be any good backup PGs in our price range.  Maybe Bobby Jackson?

It will be interesting to see what the team does.  I think we need to bring back BBD (long term) and Powe (qualifying offer), and part ways with Gabe, Starbury, and Moore (and Tony, if we can find a taker).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 07:53:42 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
There are a ton of decent players who could help us.  I'd like to see either Grant Hill or Anthony Parker at backup SF, and Rasheed or McDyess at backup big.  If we want a "true" center, both Zaza and Rasho have talent.

Unfortunately, there still aren't going to be any good backup PGs in our price range.  Maybe Bobby Jackson?

It will be interesting to see what the team does.  I think we need to bring back BBD (long term) and Powe (qualifying offer), and part ways with Gabe, Starbury, and Moore (and Tony, if we can find a taker).

Agreed.  I'd go with Zaza or Rasjp.  I think a true center would be a better complement to BBD and Powe.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson