Author Topic: Grade the Pats Draft.  (Read 11538 times)

Re: Grade the Pats Draft.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 05:26:40 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Also, for those unhappy about the lack of drafting an OLB, I think this quote from BB is very telling as to why they didnt.

"I think the outside linebacker group this year was a little bit different," Belichick said. "Generally speaking, I'd say there were more shorter players, maybe a little less speed than what we've seen, but maybe a little more power with good production. There weren't a lot of 4.6, 4.65 guys in the [40-yard dash], and not a lot of 6-[foot]-4[-inch], 6-5 guys. There was a much smaller pool of those players."

The Patriots' prototype outside linebacker, based on the selection of the 6-5, 245-pound Crable last year, is the taller, faster type.

Height is definitely key here.  Pierre Woods is 6-5.  Vince Redd is 6-6.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/04/27/not_in_a_rush_to_do_something_here/

Even if those guys we passed on turnout to be great players, it doesnt mean they would have been successful in our scheme.

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not gonna rush to judgement on a grade but I'll offer a few opinions.

-Love the Brace & Butler picks.  I think both of these guys are going to be great fits for the defense.  Brace is good insurance for Wilfork and nose tackle is a tough find in any draft.  Butler defintely has athleticism and I think he'll be able to fit in relatively quickly.  In two years, people will be saying "Ellis who?"

-Uncertain about the Chang pick.  He seems extremely football intelligent but I have my doubts that he's the guy who'll be able to match up with those bruising/athletic type tight ends.  Initially, I see him more as a big nickel package time but could possibly be full time starter.

-Vollmer and Ohrnberger sound like they fit the Belichick mode when it comes to offensive linemen.  They sound like guys who can fit into the Pats offensive blocking scheme where, elsewhere, they might not prove valuable or effective.  I don't imagine either two starting but they should provide some depth and insurance.

-Trading down and subsequent acquisition of two additional 2nd rounders.  I thought there was some talent out there in the late first but obviously Belichick felt otherwise with the linebacking talent.  I'm not sure if Hervin was really on their radar but I think Tate is solid consolation.  Its not like they're going to need him right away.  They can stow him away on PUP or injured reserve for a year.  Its one of those high risk/high reward picks.  They seem to work out more than fail for Belichick.  I love the fact that Belichick gave himself more ammo in next year's draft.  Provides a lot more flexibility when it comes to manuevering.

-Hobbs trade.  I understand it and I don't have a problem with it.  I felt the Pats got decent compensation in return and I'm not as high on Hobbs as others.  I think the vets this year and Butler going forward will fill in fine at the CB spot.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

-I'm not sure if Hervin was really on their radar but I think Tate is solid consolation. 

It certainly would have been interesting if they grabbed Harvin.  Although I am somewhat skeptical that they were actually interested in him. 

I also find it interesting that they were supposedly trying to trade back into the first round.  I am curious who they would have been going after (presumably, someone that went pick 27-34, although it could have been Chung)

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 06:33:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

-I'm not sure if Hervin was really on their radar but I think Tate is solid consolation. 

It certainly would have been interesting if they grabbed Harvin.  Although I am somewhat skeptical that they were actually interested in him. 

I also find it interesting that they were supposedly trying to trade back into the first round.  I am curious who they would have been going after (presumably, someone that went pick 27-34, although it could have been Chung)

Personally, I don't think he was (at least in the 1st round).  I can't really imagine Belichick telling the kid that he was going to draft him.  Sounded like a smokescreen to me but who knows. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm biased here, but I think the two teams that got the most out of their draft packs were Chicago and Philly.

Chicago got a proven Pro Bowl quarterback, which already makes the draft a winner.  I like a bunch of their other picks, too (Gilbert, Iglesias, Moore, and Freeman, most of all) but this is all about Cutler.

The Eagles had a great draft, both in terms of veterans and draft picks.  Maclin and McCoy were great choices, and the trades for Peters and Hobbs were excellent, as well.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My read on the draft is this:

1.) I think Bill drafted some good first round quality type players in Brace and Butler in the second round thus avoiding the guaranteed salaries and getting the now cliched "great value" out of them. I think Butler will be starting before the end of the season and that Brace is not only a great addition for insurance in the Wilfork negotiations but also a great tackle addition if in those rare cases Bill wants to throw some 4-3 schemes out there versus certain run happy teams. Brace played primarily the 2 gap at BC and is familiar with it and also has the size and strength to play the 1 position like Wilfork. Butler is just a great find. I think coverage wise he may have been the best in the draft and he's a very good tackler as well and not afraid of contact like some cover guys are.

2.) Chung was a reach that will be there to give coverage on the better TEs and in running situations. I hope he turns into more but that's all he really exhibited in college.

3.) I love the Vollmer, Orhnberger, and Bussey picks. I think Orhnberger is probably the most ready of the bunch but Bussey and Vollmer are huge and their potential to take over positions on the right side of the line sets up the offensive line with great depth for years to come if they can develop the way Belichick usually develops his linemen.

4.) I think the Pryor and Richard picks are overkill and don't expect either to make the 54 man roster this year though one or both could be on the practice squad. I think they are insurance against the worst case scenario of losing Seymour and Wilfork due to monetary constraints. We'll see.

Overall, a very good draft in that they built in the important areas of the team, the lines and that they didn't have to spend huge money to do it. The fact that they picked up 2 second rounders next year also needs to be mentioned. great pickups. Overall a very strong B+ to A-.

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 07:52:37 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Would have liked to have an impact linebacker, like matthews. Seems like the Pats have really watered themselves down in recent years by reaching slightly for solid players and avoiding impact players. It'd be nice to have some differencemakers.

Uh.... Matthews... he's not a fit in the 3-4...  He can't play outside linebacker, he's not a rush guy... I don't know where you're coming from.

And Chung, Brace, and Butler will all be immediate impact players... possibly a LINEBACKER too in Tyrone McKenzie who Belichick called one of the smartest and most mature players he's ever worked out.

We got two future starting linemen in Vollmer and Ohrnberger.

And a guy w/ upside in Brandon TAte.

We also turned two third round picks into 2nd round picks...

Yeah.  I'll give us an A-

From ESPN:

What he brings: Matthews possesses great versatility; he has excellent range against the run along with the fluid change of direction to make him one of this draft's best coverage linebackers. He has also improved his ability to bend as a rusher off the edge, not to mention the outstanding value he brings on special teams.

How he fits: Matthews is another nice addition to a team that is moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defensive scheme. He can play the strongside linebacker position and be a force on special teams. He's a tough kid who loves to compete and with his family history, he understands what it takes to be an NFL player. General manager Ted Thompson saw a value at the end of the first round that he felt was worth the price to move up and Matthews has the intangibles to be a solid pro for many years in Green Bay.

Anyway, it's hard to doubt Bellichek, but it'd be nice to add some higher end (i.e. first round) talent to the defense.

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 08:00:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Would have liked to have an impact linebacker, like matthews. Seems like the Pats have really watered themselves down in recent years by reaching slightly for solid players and avoiding impact players. It'd be nice to have some differencemakers.

Uh.... Matthews... he's not a fit in the 3-4...  He can't play outside linebacker, he's not a rush guy... I don't know where you're coming from.

And Chung, Brace, and Butler will all be immediate impact players... possibly a LINEBACKER too in Tyrone McKenzie who Belichick called one of the smartest and most mature players he's ever worked out.

From ESPN:

What he brings: Matthews possesses great versatility; he has excellent range against the run along with the fluid change of direction to make him one of this draft's best coverage linebackers. He has also improved his ability to bend as a rusher off the edge, not to mention the outstanding value he brings on special teams.

How he fits: Matthews is another nice addition to a team that is moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defensive scheme. He can play the strongside linebacker position and be a force on special teams. He's a tough kid who loves to compete and with his family history, he understands what it takes to be an NFL player. General manager Ted Thompson saw a value at the end of the first round that he felt was worth the price to move up and Matthews has the intangibles to be a solid pro for many years in Green Bay.

Anyway, it's hard to doubt Bellichek, but it'd be nice to add some higher end (i.e. first round) talent to the defense.

Hard to trust a scouting report from a network who's draft expert got 7/32 picks right.

The draft, and the WWL, are a crap shoot.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 09:44:10 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

From ESPN:

Mathews didnt fit with what BB likes for OLB.  Mathews is too small.  He doesnt fit with the following quote from BB
"I think the outside linebacker group this year was a little bit different," Belichick said. "Generally speaking, I'd say there were more shorter players, maybe a little less speed than what we've seen, but maybe a little more power with good production. There weren't a lot of 4.6, 4.65 guys in the [40-yard dash], and not a lot of 6-[foot]-4[-inch], 6-5 guys. There was a much smaller pool of those players."

The Patriots' prototype outside linebacker, based on the selection of the 6-5, 245-pound Crable last year, is the taller, faster type.

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 10:00:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

From ESPN:

Mathews didnt fit with what BB likes for OLB.  Mathews is too small.  He doesnt fit with the following quote from BB

Yeah, I gotta believe if they were going to go with an outside linebacker they were going to go with the small DE conversion route and draft Connor Barwin out of Cincy or Paul Kruger out of Utah. I was actually very surprised when they moved up and grabbed Brace because I thought they Barwin pegged with that 47th pick the whole time. I thought they moved up to grab him thinking that he might go before that(he did at 46) but then they announced Brace's name.

My guess is they can thought they could get out of Pierre Woods and Tully Banta-Cain what they could ever expect to get out of Barwin and went with Brace for the two fold reason of shoring up the DL and for putting negotiating pressure on Vince Wilfork. I think the Brace kid is a definite keeper. I watched a lot of BC football and thought he was every bit as good as Raji.

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Yeah, I gotta believe if they were going to go with an outside linebacker they were going to go with the small DE conversion route and draft Connor Barwin out of Cincy or Paul Kruger out of Utah. I was actually very surprised when they moved up and grabbed Brace because I thought they Barwin pegged with that 47th pick the whole time. I thought they moved up to grab him thinking that he might go before that(he did at 46) but then they announced Brace's name.

My guess is they can thought they could get out of Pierre Woods and Tully Banta-Cain what they could ever expect to get out of Barwin and went with Brace for the two fold reason of shoring up the DL and for putting negotiating pressure on Vince Wilfork. I think the Brace kid is a definite keeper. I watched a lot of BC football and thought he was every bit as good as Raji.

I think Barwin got overhyped.  I am sure they liked him, but probably in the 3rd round or whatever, before he started shooting up the rankings.

I also think our OLB's will surprise some people.  Woods is better then we give credit for...Crable is going to surprise some people, and TBC can be effective in limited situations

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 11:07:07 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=videonewsdetail&pid=37156&pcid=160&rss=1

Pretty cool video showing the draft room while the pats were juggling 4 potential trades, etc...

good behind the scenes view.

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 11:29:56 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The Pats continue to add players:
traded for TE Alex Smith a couple days ago (traded a low round 2010 draft pick)
signed FA S Brandon McGowan
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
The Pats continue to add players:
traded for TE Alex Smith a couple days ago (traded a low round 2010 draft pick)
signed FA S Brandon McGowan

5th rounder to be exact.

I like the trade for Smith and dislike it at the same time.  He has shown some potential, is young and is pretty well rounded (can contribute in blocking, catching, special teams), but he makes 1.55 million which is a lot unless they expect him to be the 1 or 2 te.  But I dont see how they will do that, since Baker is likely the 1, Watson the 2 (or vice versa, but Baker got a pretty good sized contract).  Unless Smith leapfrogs either of them, he will be overpaid. 

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 01:19:13 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Tyronne McKenzie, 3rd round pick with a story of hardship, is out for the year with a torn ACL...

Unfortunate for him and the Pats 

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/05/mckenzie_out_fo.html
Celtics fan for life.