Author Topic: What would have happened if Danny hadn't traded away DWest & Telfair?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Bossco

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 54
I still remember very vividly the game in which Rondo hadn't played any minutes by the 3rd quarter (his rookie year) and sideline reporter Greg Dickerson walked by my seats. I asked him - What's up with Rondo, is he hurt? I was stunned to hear Dickerson say that Doc was "going in a different direction".

At that time doc had given the starting job to Telfair (to show that the Portland trade was worth it?). DWest was getting the other point guard minutes because doc had a man crush on him. Rondo was said to not be able to shoot, therefore he was married to the pine in the first half of that year.

Does anyone else remember how well Rondo had played in pre-season? When I first watched him, I was so excited at the amazing amount of weapons that he had. He can beat you in so many ways. Yet unfortunately since shooting wasn't considered one of them, (and because doc is allergic to young point guards) Rondo was allowed to sit at the bottom of the point guard pile.

My question is: what would have happened if Danny hadn't cleared the way (by trading away all of the pg competition) so that doc was FORCED to play Rondo as the starting point guard?

I think Danny was even reluctant to sign a back-up vet pg early in the year (last year) fearing that doc would play the vet over his newbie Rondo.

It is amazing to me that the majority of people (fans&media) at the time bought the notion that because Rajon didn't have a great jump shot thus he was worthy of dnpcds.

Doc thought this - boy was he wrong!

P.S. My brother ran into Cedic Maxwell on the subway after a game at that time and Max told my brother that the Celtics with he himself included, were simply not sold on Rondo. Mainly because he "couldn't shoot".

Re: What would have happened if Danny hadn't traded away DWest & Telfair?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 06:08:46 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Exactly. I was sick that year watching Telfair start over Rondo.
Doc did the same thing to Leon. He's just allergic to rookies I guess.
Anyway, for whatever the reason, they're both still here, thank goodness.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:00:53 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

My question is: what would have happened if Danny hadn't cleared the way (by trading away all of the pg competition) so that doc was FORCED to play Rondo as the starting point guard?

I'd say the trajectory would have been very similar. Rondo played a ton of minutes the last couple of months in his rookie season.

He already had basically solidified himself as the starting PG by the end of that year.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 07:46:19 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
"What would have happened if Danny hadn't traded for Telfair" is a thought that intrigues me quite a bit, too.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:15:54 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Telfair and West were traded away in the KG and Ray trades.  So it's safe to say we wouldn't have the 17th championship right now.  Not sure why anyone would care or wonder about that terrible 2006 team. ::)

BTW, Rondo would still be the starter because he had already beat out West for the starting point guard by the end of the season and it seems likely now that both West and Telfair were being showcased.  So I believe Rondo was the projected starter all along.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
"What would have happened if Danny hadn't traded for Telfair" is a thought that intrigues me quite a bit, too.

Save yourself the headache:

Rondo/Roy/Pierce/Jefferson/Perk is the tantalizing "what could have been.

However, without getting Ratliff's deal, no KG....

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:34:08 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Save yourself the headache:

Rondo/Roy/Pierce/Jefferson/Perk is the tantalizing "what could have been.

However, without getting Ratliff's deal, no KG....

add in a bench of:

DWest
TA
Al Thornton
Gomes
Theo

Coulda been a fun team, for sure.

Love this team too, though...goes without saying.