Author Topic: Technically, as clean a Celtic performance as I've seen since early season  (Read 5191 times)

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Really, a very neat, technically strong performance by the Cs tongith.

Pierce displayed great patience on the offensive end, letting the game come to him and then fitting excellent shots in. I think we can dispense with the "disinterested" nonsense now.

Thought the ball movement was great, spacing solid, decision-making very good. Defense was outstanding, the first example I've seen from this group of championship defense in a LONG time. Really active with hands and feet in the passing lanes. No easy shots for their spot-up shooters.

And there's very little question that Rondo can be a star when he consistently rolls out these kinds of ballgames. He has the ability to elevate his game to a level that compensates for the loss of Garnett. Thank God he's not hurt.

The same can be said for the Infuriated Infant, who has elevated his game to a level I wasn't sure he'd reach, especially on the defensiv eend of the floor.

I also thought the bench did a good job tonight, particularly Marbury. All we need from him is 10 to 15 minutes a night making good decisions, taking care of the basketball and doing a solid defensive job - all of which we got tonight.

Really encouraging performance in a lot of areas.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:16:54 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
The team that showed up tonight can play with anybody.  This was really an excellent sight after several months of shaky basketball by the Celtics' standards. 

TP.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
I totally agree. Hard for a coach to find anything to worry about in this one. TP.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The great game that we all new was coming. Let's do it again on Sunday!

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Agreed, a very strong game indeed - the kind we hadn't played in awhile. Quite impressive performances from Rondo and Glen Davis, but the team overall was the star, especially on defence.

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i agree...they really seemed to play from the start and didnt every let the bulls back into the game...the bulls are a jump shooting team...but boston played their style and got good shots...and the bulls have NO answer for rondo

Offline MattD

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
Agreed, this was such a pleasure to watch.  There were stretches of good team basketball for a few minutes in game 2, but tonight, other than a few lapses with Salmons, they really put it all together for all the minutes that mattered.

The first two games, it felt like guys were pacing themselves.  The thing is, when they play the right way, at the right pace -- like tonight -- they can get easier, higher percentage shots, force turnovers, build a lead, get some rest, and expend less overall effort.

Now let's see if they can do it again, in an afternoon game.

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Pierce displayed great patience on the offensive end, letting the game come to him and then fitting excellent shots in. I think we can dispense with the "disinterested" nonsense now.

Thought the ball movement was great, spacing solid, decision-making very good. Defense was outstanding, the first example I've seen from this group of championship defense in a LONG time. Really active with hands and feet in the passing lanes. No easy shots for their spot-up shooters.

And there's very little question that Rondo can be a star when he consistently rolls out these kinds of ballgames. He has the ability to elevate his game to a level that compensates for the loss of Garnett. Thank God he's not hurt.

The same can be said for the Infuriated Infant, who has elevated his game to a level I wasn't sure he'd reach, especially on the defensiv eend of the floor.

I also thought the bench did a good job tonight, particularly Marbury. All we need from him is 10 to 15 minutes a night making good decisions, taking care of the basketball and doing a solid defensive job - all of which we got tonight.

Agreed, of course, CoachBo.  TP.

And another for employing the term "Infuriated Infant."  Spread the word!   :D

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Heh.

Glad to oblige you and Mr. Davis on a night when he played with a definite attitude.

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I agree with everything you said except your assessment of Marbury. If you go back and watch the game, you'll see that most of Marbury's passes were careless and lackadasical. I'd still much rather have TA get the playing time.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
I totally disagree with your assessment of Marbury. He took good care of the basketball all night, played very hard and sound defense and took good shots. If there's a fault in his performance, he didn't make enough of them.

I think we've established that some folks don't like Marbury.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Great play all around last night by the Celtics.  Agree with Coach Bo's assessement about the superb ball movement and championship defense last night.  I think Rondo, Perk, Pierce, and Davis all played extremely well. 

I'd love last night to be a steppling stone. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
I too agree.
The spacing and ball movement was head and shoulders above anything we've seen in this series.
There was only one time when I noticed bad spacing and it resulted in a turnover.

I thought Marbury played very, very well.

We need to clean up our defense in the lane (no more 3 second calls- although to be honest they could have called the same on the Bulls but never did) and I really want our bigs to stop the cheap moving screens that are costing us points and momentem.

The ball movement started with Rondo, which wasn't happening the last two games, but he was still able to pick his spots and hopefully he recognizes the results.

Rondos still struggling to keep Rose in front of him, but he's getting more help at the rim from his teammates.

Those are things that can be improved upon but I couldn't be happier with our over all performance last night.

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

i'm hoping that this war wound, and his words back and forth with Kirk Heinrich, will awaken this beast even more. i'm waiting for him to call everybody back and just break Kirk's ankles for an easy lay-up. It's killing me to see this "unselfish" Stephon.

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

TP, nothing more to say, it was a real pleasure to see the true Celtics team, and it had been a long time since we hadn't seem them perform like that. When you see the Celtics play like last night you think that they could repeat, even without KG... Sure, I'm too optimistic but I hope that the team will bring their A game back Sunday and for the rest of the playoffs. Defense was the key! One of the best performances of the year on D, with 16 interceptions coupled with big shots to destroy the Bulls momentum and increase the lead. In the last two minutes of the first half the Bulls were killed by Ray and Marbury.