Author Topic: this may be getting ridiculous...  (Read 19134 times)

this may be getting ridiculous...
« on: April 22, 2009, 10:52:44 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I have no problem with Brandon Jennings foregoing college in favor of Europe until he was eligible for the draft.

But Jeremy Tyler has dropped out of high school to go play in Europe for 2 years until he is eligible for the draft. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4090570

I wonder if we will see a kid/kids skip high school entirely in favor of making some cash in Europe

Re: this may be getting ridiculous...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:56:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
ridiculous? Maybe...but there are a lot of people makin a lot of money off of those kids athletic abilities...and Ricky Rubio has been playin pro ball for 3 or 4 years and he's only 19 (I think..maybe 18)..which means he started when he was 15 or 16 and we don't seem to care because he's...spanish?

What we need is an effective farm system.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:53:07 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Is this kid guaranteed to be the next Jordan? Like, 100%? If not,
I hope the kid likes flipping burgers... cuz he'll be doing it at some point.

Whether its after his pro career, or in place of it when he doesn't pan out...

he will be flipping. 
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:14:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What exactly is the uproar over. Tennis players are playing professionally in their teens. Kids act and sing and model professionally at extremely young ages. Canadian kids are playing hockey professionally as teenagers and kids all over the world play football(soccer) professionally under 18 years of age. Take a look at the Olympic competitors who are competing at extremely young ages.

If someone opts to work professionally at a sport at a very young age, what's the big deal? They can still get an education while doing so or even afterward. Hopefully they have good parents, good advisers and handle their education and profession in a mature and beneficial manner that allows them to have a bright future doing whatever they want.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:29:39 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Is this kid guaranteed to be the next Jordan? Like, 100%? If not,
I hope the kid likes flipping burgers... cuz he'll be doing it at some point.

Whether its after his pro career, or in place of it when he doesn't pan out...

he will be flipping. 

If he is getting a guaranteed contract and plays his cards right he can be set for a long, long time. The only way he'll flip burgers is if he completely mismanages his money.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:30:40 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
If someone opts to work professionally at a sport at a very young age, what's the big deal? They can still get an education while doing so or even afterward. Hopefully they have good parents, good advisers and handle their education and profession in a mature and beneficial manner that allows them to have a bright future doing whatever they want.

Exactly.  Take Gerald Green.  He and his mom said after he was drafted in 2005 that he would attend school on the side to get his college degree.  4 years having passed, Green is probably ready to graduate.  Any updates?

(sorry, that was a little tongue in cheek -- I agree in principle with nick on this, except in practice it rarely happens -- there are too many reasons NOT to pursue an education, and by the time the person burns out of their sport at age 25, what's the point then?)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 12:39:01 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
What exactly is the uproar over. Tennis players are playing professionally in their teens. Kids act and sing and model professionally at extremely young ages. Canadian kids are playing hockey professionally as teenagers and kids all over the world play football(soccer) professionally under 18 years of age. Take a look at the Olympic competitors who are competing at extremely young ages.

Just because people do it, doesn't mean it is the best course of action.  I am not saying that the following are my feelings, but often with child stars (whether in sports, the arts, or something else) you often hear things like: Kids being exploited...kids burning out....kids getting too much too quickly...kids not working to/reaching their full potential etc...

Personally, I think it sets a dangerous precedent.  What happens when there is an 8th grader who is 7-1 and incredibly athletic?  Does he decide he wants to play basketball in Europe?  Do his parents?  does a slimy agent (not all agents are slimy) give the kid 10,000 bucks to go play over there? etc...I simply feel it opens a can of worms that could get out of control.

Looking at the major sports in the US (football, basketball, baseball, and hell even hockey) have age/grade limits to when you can become a pro.  so it seems like apples and oranges to compare 'minor'(where, for the most part, $ doesnt completely rule the world - Soccer being an exception, but not here in the US) sports and acting/singing.

I guess this is just a natural progression. I mean hell, we have 14 year old kids accepting scholarship offers to division 1 basketball programs before even picking a highschool.  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2930720&sportCat=ncb

I dont know, maybe it doesnt seem disturbing to some, but that is disturbing to me.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:47:06 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
What's the problem, you get to live in europe while your young making a ton of money? At least he's finishing high school.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 12:54:19 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Just because people do it, doesn't mean it is the best course of action.  I am not saying that the following are my feelings, but often with child stars (whether in sports, the arts, or something else) you often hear things like: Kids being exploited...kids burning out....kids getting too much too quickly...kids not working to/reaching their full potential etc...

Personally, I think it sets a dangerous precedent.  What happens when there is an 8th grader who is 7-1 and incredibly athletic?  Does he decide he wants to play basketball in Europe?  Do his parents?  does a slimy agent (not all agents are slimy) give the kid 10,000 bucks to go play over there? etc...I simply feel it opens a can of worms that could get out of control.

Looking at the major sports in the US (football, basketball, baseball, and hell even hockey) have age/grade limits to when you can become a pro.  so it seems like apples and oranges to compare 'minor'(where, for the most part, $ doesnt completely rule the world - Soccer being an exception, but not here in the US) sports and acting/singing.

I guess this is just a natural progression. I mean hell, we have 14 year old kids accepting scholarship offers to division 1 basketball programs before even picking a highschool.  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2930720&sportCat=ncb

I dont know, maybe it doesnt seem disturbing to some, but that is disturbing to me.
For those who are unaware, there are a lot of high school dropouts in the US! At least these guys have a skill they can make money on instead of working in McDonalds.

Considering the fact that some of the young guys could end up never earning a cent for basketball if they went the normal route, they might as well make money while they can. Would there be an ethical problem if they went to Europe to work in McDonalds?

The hockey example is perfect. We aren't talking about Rhodes scholars here. We are talking about athletes. Diplomas are nice, but they aren't necessary for them to make a living. You live your life and let them live theirs. If someone can play professional sports and get a diploma at the same time (like VC), then great.

Perhaps we should also object to high school players playing so much in HS between HS games and games in other leagues? Their time commitment is likely similar to playing a season professionally in some leagues.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

Exactly.  Take Gerald Green.  He and his mom said after he was drafted in 2005 that he would attend school on the side to get his college degree.  4 years having passed, Green is probably ready to graduate.  Any updates?

(sorry, that was a little tongue in cheek -- I agree in principle with nick on this, except in practice it rarely happens -- there are too many reasons NOT to pursue an education, and by the time the person burns out of their sport at age 25, what's the point then?)
If Gerald couldn't even learn a play, how the hell would he ever learn how to take college courses!?!?! He makes even TA look like a genius.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 01:09:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It's about time. I've thought for a long time that European clubs should have been trying to sign young HS talent in the US and develop them over there.

They are doing the same thing anyway with their own players, why not try to acquire some of the best talent in the world? A Dwight Howard? A LeBron James? Etc ....

Big advantage for Euro teams considering the NBA teams can't go near HS players.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 12:23:38 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think an issue is going to be his body.  Him starting to play professionally this early is really going to put wear and tear on his body in my opinion.  I think he will get better talent wise, but I want to see how his knees are in 18 years.
do it

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If they can make a living over there, it's their choice.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Relax guys, there are high schools in Europe. He can even go to a college and keep playing professionally.

What's exactly the worst that can happen to him? Return to the high school to finish it two years older and only with the money of his professional contract? Oh, the drama!

What worries me is that these kids may not be good enough and in that case going to Europe may not be the soundest option for his basketball development. I basically agree with this DX article on the subject:

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#NBA-Draft-Roundup-May-11--3211

The kid is now rumoured to be joining Maroussi. That's a more modest club, but still too strong for him. He should be joining a French club, or a club like FMP - clubs used to play and develop youngsters, with less pressure, and where he may have a chance to get minutes.

The kid is now rumoured to be going to Marousis. That's a

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
ridiculous? Maybe...but there are a lot of people makin a lot of money off of those kids athletic abilities...and Ricky Rubio has been playin pro ball for 3 or 4 years and he's only 19 (I think..maybe 18)..which means he started when he was 15 or 16 and we don't seem to care because he's...spanish?

What we need is an effective farm system.
How much money could they make in a farm system? Can it compete financially with European leagues?

And would there be exclusive rights involved? That would mean lowering the NBA age limit.