Author Topic: Celtics (1-1) at Bulls (1-1) Game 3 2/23  (Read 80094 times)

Celtics (1-1) at Bulls (1-1) Game 3 2/23
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:12:12 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Boston Celtics (1-1) at Chicago Bulls (1-1) Postseason Game #3, Road Game #1
Thursday, April 23
8:00 PM ET
TV:  TNT, CSN HD, CSN Chicago
Pregame:  CSN HD, 7:00 PM
United Center

Probable Starters

Rajon Rondo/Ray Allen/Paul Pierce/Glen Davis/ Kendrick Perkins

Reserves
Mikki Moore 
Stephon Marbury 
Eddie House   
Tony Allen 
Brian Scalabrine   
Gabe Pruitt 
Bill Walker

Key off the Bench

Eddie House hasn't been much of a factor in the playoffs so far.  They scored just 15 points in the first game with Leon Powe contributing 8 and Eddie just 5.  The second game was even worse with the bench adding just 9 points with just 3 from Eddie.  It will be key to get Eddie going, especially in these games on the road. They need more production from the bench and the most logical place to look would be Eddie, who was fairly automatic in the second half of the season.

The Celtics have struggled defensively at times to stop Bulls when they are hot and hitting shots from everywhere.  Tony was ecpected to fill the void on defense that was left when James Posey left.  Doc needs to give Tony a chance to shut down those hot shooters. 

Injuries:
Kevin Garnett (knee)  out
Leon Powe (ACL)  out 
Rondo (ankle)  will play

Probable Starters

Derrick Rose/Ben Gordon/John Salmons/Tyrus Thomas/Joakim Noah

Reserves
Kirk Hinrich   
Tim Thomas 
Brad Miller   
Lindsey Hunter 
Anthony Roberson 
Linton Johnson   
Aaron Gray   

Key off the Bench

With the Celtics' shortage of big men, it will be crucial for them to stay out of foul trouble while guarding the Bulls' big men.  Miller has been very effective for the Bulls and has been playing over 30 mpg.  He finished with 4 points and 12 rebounds in the first game and 16 points and 9 rebounds in the second.  The Celtics need to keep him off the boards and limit his shots. 

Hinrich can give the Celtics problems both offensively and defensively.  He is capable of playing very tough defense as well as hitting shots from beyond the arc and spredding the floor with his offense. 

Injuries
Luol Deng (shin) out
Jerome James (Achilles)  out   

Team Connections
Celtics assistant coach Clifford Ray played for the Bulls from 1971-74
Ben Gordon and Ray Allen are former UConn Huskies
Paul Pierce and Kirk Hinrich are former Kansas Jayhawks
Glen Davis and Tyrus Thomas were teammates at LSU
Mikki Moore, Brad Miller, and John Salmons were teammates in Sacramento

Key Matchups
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Derrick Rose
In the first game, it was a battle between these two point guards with Rose getting the slight advantage over Rondo.  Perk said after that first game that Rose wouldn't have a game like that in the second game and he was right as Rose finished with just 10 points while Rondo has a triple double in spite of another sprained ankle.   Rondo sat out practice on Tuesday but is expected to play in this game.  He has come back strong from sprains before and hopefully will again this time.  But you have to wonder how many times he can sprain his ankles and still come back from it.  Rondo has been the Celtics best and most consistent player in the first two games.  The Celtics need a healthy Rondo if they have any hope of getting out of this series. 

vs
Paul Pierce vs John Salmons
The first game in this series showcased the point guards with Rondo and Rose going head to head.  The second game showcased the shooting guards with former UConn stars Ray Allen and Ben Gordon in a shoot out.  In both of those games, Pierce was rather quiet.  It is time for Pierce to wake up and have a big game and so I am expecting him to be more aggressive in this game.  Salmons is still slightly slowed by the groin injury and so Pierce should go at him at every opportunity.  Pierce has said that the best of this series is yet to come and so we have to think that the best of Paul Pierce is yet to come as well. 

Honorable Mention
vs
Ray Allen vs Ben Gordon
Ray Allen struggled to the tune of 1-12 in the first game.  In the second game, he was just 1-4 in the first half but took over in the second half for 30 points, including the game winner with just seconds to go.  Along with being the hero on offense, he still had to chase Ben Gordon who was busy scoring 42 points and hoisting up shots from everywhere on the court.   This will still be a be an important matchup but I don't think that they will take over the game as they did in their last meeting.  As I said, I think it will be Pierce's turn to take over on offense in this one. 

Kendrick Perkins vs Joakim Noah
vs 
Perk put his game where his mouth was and had a very strong game.  He finished with 16 points and 12 rebounds including 7 on the offensive end.  He also played great defense around the basket, making sure that any Bulls who drove to the basket were met with the great wall of Perk.  With Leon out now, Perk is going to be even more important.  He will need to play more minutes and he will need to continue to be more aggressive on the boards along with staying out of foul trouble.   There aren't many players as irritating as Joakim Noah.  Perk was able to keep his cool against him in the last game, walking away as Noah was called for a technical.  He has to continue to keep his cool and not let Noah get under his skin.  His presence on the court is even more important now and he can't afford to lose his cool. 

Coaching Matchup
vs
Doc Rivers vs Vinny Del Negro
The coaching came into play in the last game when the Bulls had no time outs left after Ray hit the 3 to put the Celtics ahead.  Coaching will be more important as this series goes on and adjustments need to be made.  Hopefully, Doc's experience will give the Celtics an advantage in adjustments and the in-game strategy. 

Keys to the Game
Defense
Ball Movement
Rebounding
Limit Turnovers
Focus

X-Factor
Focus on the Road
The Celtics have said many times that they can win anywhere and so weren't worried about home court advantage.  They have given up home court advantage with a sluggish first game.  They need to get it back with a win in this game.   It is time for the Celtics to regain their focus both offensively and defensively and go into the United Center and win this game.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:23:04 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (1-1) at Bulls (1-1) Game 3 2/23
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:34:16 PM »

Offline Cs09Champs

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Never stop believing baby!
TP for the preview! This one is a must win!
LETS GO CELTICS!
Let's go C's!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:01:58 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
For the first time in his career, Pierce is the X factor and not the featured superstar.

The FT miss in game 1 seemed to affect pp in game 2.

We haven't seen him take it to the rim like we are used to seeing.

Let go Paul you got to show the world what a special player you are.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
For the first time in his career, Pierce is the X factor and not the featured superstar.

The FT miss in game 1 seemed to affect pp in game 2.

We haven't seen him take it to the rim like we are used to seeing.

Let go Paul you got to show the world what a special player you are.

Well, Paul tried many times to go to the rim during this series but he was blocked on almost every attempt. Same thing when he was creating his jumpshot. I was mad at him Monday because I thought he was going to cost us the game in the 4th quarter by shooting again and again to get blocked. Still, I was shocked that the referees never called a foul on any of these plays, and it's not going to get better in Chicago.

However I expect Paul to have a great game Thursday, and I just hope that the team's defense will be somewhat like last year's, though I know we are running out of bodies and we're missing KG's defense.

Go Celtics, win this game and you'll take the momentum back in the series! TP for the preview.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:15:09 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Paul, its time to Sh4t or get off the pot.

We also need Eddie to get off tonight too.

I am hoping for better defense but that cannot be relied on without Garnett and now Powe.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 10:36:29 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Wheres ACF ???  :P

TP FLA

Go Cs....Take homecourt again!!

Please PP be healthy.... be PP
U can beat that team by yourself...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
BALL MOVEMENT, thats the key.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 10:55:44 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Here's hoping Cs get a W tonight!
Especially since Game 4 is a weekend afternoon game, in which Cs have struggled of late....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Rondo for around 40 in a close Celtic win. Bank it.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 11:30:11 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
BALL MOVEMENT, thats the key.
...and don't forget defense.  We hold this team in the 90's, we win going away.  Make it a defensive game instead of a shootout and we are in great shape to take over momentum in the series.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 12:22:04 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I am going to be on a plane for most of this game, I expect to smile when I check the score on my phone upon landing.

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 02:20:23 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I really feal that the rebounds are the difference makers in these series, so, everybody better box out  :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »

Offline BonK

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Gordon is due for a cold game, and the young bigs for Chicago will be too hyped.  The cooler heads of Paul Pierce & Ray Allen will prevail, and the C's will win this game by 7-13 points.  Bank it.

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 04:34:31 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Wheres ACF ???  :P

Here I am. TP for FL!