Author Topic: Ricky Rubio is gonna be in the NBA next season  (Read 7985 times)

Ricky Rubio is gonna be in the NBA next season
« on: April 21, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Well technically he's only being drafted.

Quote from: SI.com
BADALONA, Spain (AP) -- Top Spanish basketball prospect Ricky Rubio has decided to enter June's NBA Draft, according to Spanish reports.

The 18-year-old Rubio, who is under contract with Spanish club DKV Joventut through 2011, has been rated one of the top picks for the June 25 draft.

Rubio, who was a member of Spain's silver medal-winning team at the Beijing Olympics last summer, has until Sunday to register, although he can also withdraw up to 10 days before the draft at New York's Madison Square Garden.

The 6-foot-2 point guard, whose buy-out clause with Joventut is $7.8 million, has averaged 9.9 points and 5.7 assists this season for the Spanish club. Rubio turns 19 in October to meet the NBA's age requirement.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Ricky Rubio is gonna be in the NBA next season
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Interesting.  I wonder who's going to pick him.  Sacramento seems like they need a better point guard (Beno sucks) more than they need an undersized power forward, superstar potential or not (they have Jason Thompson and Spencer Hawes, both young bigs), so if they get less than the #1 pick I think they could easily take Rubio.  On the other hand, Griffin is the consensus #1 pick everywhere you look and the Kings are likely to get the number 1.  I'm not sure who else would be likely to take Rubio. 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Interesting.  I wonder who's going to pick him.  Sacramento seems like they need a better point guard (Beno sucks) more than they need an undersized power forward, superstar potential or not (they have Jason Thompson and Spencer Hawes, both young bigs), so if they get less than the #1 pick I think they could easily take Rubio.  On the other hand, Griffin is the consensus #1 pick everywhere you look and the Kings are likely to get the number 1.  I'm not sure who else would be likely to take Rubio. 

I think a lot of teams would have to look closely at him.  I would LOVE to see Oklahoma City draft him (although I know they won't).  Westbrook is more of a SG in a PG body, so why not put him next to a big PG like Rubio.  If they could then find a way to get an athletic, defensive Center (like I don't know, Tyson Chandler), they could be one of the most fun teams in the league to watch.

I also think Minnesota would have to consider it.  I doubt they are planning on going forward with Telfair as their starting PG, and Foye is a SG.

If the Clippers can find a taker for Davis, he would be a nice fit.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:15:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Well remember if the draft has taught us nothing, then we know talent trumps need...but if you look, the T-Wolves, Warriors and Bucks all seem like they could use a franchise point.

Then you've got the Clippers, where one would think it wouldn't be the largest leap of logic to think the Clippers might be very motivated to trade Baron Davis if tehy can.

EDIT: THanks to Chris for stealing my thunder. I totally thought of it first but then I got distracted.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Given that the top pick in the draft "only" makes $4.8 million or so, where does the buyout cash come from?

Any team would be crazy not to take him.  He is the next Pete Maravich.  He will be super marketable.  He will be great.  I just hope that, unlike Tiago Splitter, he actually makes it here.  
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i think this kids gonna be a bust, i just don't see it in his game.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I dunno, I'd agree that he doesn't have the goods, but if you read the comments from guys like DWade or Kobe or Lebron after the Olympics...they make it sound like Rubio has the goods.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 07:48:18 PM »

Offline Brigga

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8
I think the kid is the real deal. Has rare court vision, plays good defense, can go up to score using either hand. You can tell he has to basketball IQ.

His Jumper definitely needs work but thats one skill that improves in time. If Rubio can develop a 3 point shot, He will be a star in the NBA

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Rubio is certainly good enough for the NBA.  but it is going to take some time...he is what? 18?

I'll be curious to see when someone drafts him, if he can work out a buyout or whether he will be forced to stay over there for a while longer.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think he's definitely good enough, but that buy out seems like a lot.  It's going to be interesting to see how that pans out.
do it

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Rubio is a great player.  He's taller than 6-2 BTW, and he defends.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 08:13:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It, waiting a year, could work well for whatever drafts Rubio. They could get another high lottery pick next year and start from a great position in 2010. Maybe spend a year cleaning out bad contracts and unwanted players. Develop some other prospects.

There was an article on Draft Express a couple of months ago saying that Rubio's buyout clause may not hold up in court, because of the astronomical fee versus the paltry salary he's earning is unreasonable. So there's hope he can escape this summer.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
weak draft dont know much about him but not to many european players have been good.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 09:18:58 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
weak draft dont know much about him but not to many european players have been good.

Not too many europeans have had this kind of hype either.  I was impressed with watching him in the olympics, you could tell he was only an 18 year old, but he looked good.  He definitely has the skill set to be an NBA point guard, it will take some time though.
do it

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 09:23:44 PM »

Offline PJ Martinez

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Jose Calderon, Drazen Petrovic, Detlef Shrempf, Toni Kukoc, Tony Parker, Biedrins, Kirilenko, Dino Radja, Ilgauskus, plus lesser (but decent or still developing) players like Turiaf, Batum, Diaw... It's a long list, with plenty of good players on it.

I bet Rubio goes second after Griffin.