Author Topic: Has anyone here ever been to the draft?  (Read 2024 times)

Has anyone here ever been to the draft?
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Has anyone here ever been to this? Here's another question. Has anyone here ever been to BOTH the NBA AND NFL draft?

I went to the NFL one the year David Carr and Joey Harrington were drafted back when they had it in Madison Square Garden theater. It was free and it was awesome

Re: Has anyone here ever been to the draft?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:59:19 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
i went to the draft right next door to madison square garden about two weeks after the Celtics had won the 1984 title over the Lakers in that great 7 game series - had my '84 title t-shirt on as well.

what a carnival. i sat in the back area reserved for fans off the street (that being me) with all the new york crazies. it was impressive and a hell of a lot of fun in those days. it wasn't quite so slick and polished as it is now.

...... and you better believe the Celts were hated. that of course was also the year that Boston knocked Bernard King and the Knicks out in 7 tough games.

the Celtics picked Michael Young out of Houston in the 1st round, which was seen as a steal for them at the time - ton of talent with no brains if i remember right - they also picked up Rick Carlisle later.

the place went crazy with boos when the Nets picked Jeff Turner from Vandy in that first round. fortunately, i suppose, the Knicks did not have a first round pick that year.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
did it take forever or go kinda quick?

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 12:02:48 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I actually covered the draft for CB last year (thanks again to Jeff, Justin Poulin and everyone else who made it happen) - and I absolutely loved it.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.