Author Topic: Is the Boston area really that much more into baseball and football?  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I just went through this photo-article, depicting the 10 greatest moments in Boston area sports since 2001.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/04_11_09_moments/

Not a single one about the Celtics winning the title last year?  Really?  I know the order of things over there certainly seems to be:

1. Red Sox
2. Red Sox
3. Pats
4. Red Sox
5. Celtics

...but you'd think winning a title after a deplorable season and 22 year drought would at least beat out some non-championship moments from the other sports.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Is the Boston area really that much more into baseball and football?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:09:14 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I see the link now to moments #11-34.... Celtics came in at 11, 14, and 34.  Still pretty biased towards the other sports it seems.

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2009/04/11_pierce_coming_back_against.html

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I just went through this photo-article, depicting the 10 greatest moments in Boston area sports since 2001.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/04_11_09_moments/

Not a single one about the Celtics winning the title last year?  Really?  I know the order of things over there certainly seems to be:

1. Red Sox
2. Red Sox
3. Pats
4. Red Sox
5. Celtics

...but you'd think winning a title after a deplorable season and 22 year drought would at least beat out some non-championship moments from the other sports.

To answer your question: yes.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:10:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The city *is* that much more into baseball and football.  However, leaving the Celtics off the list completely is inexcusable.  There were plenty of memorable moments from the Cavs and Lakers series last year, including P.J.'s jumper, Pierce coming down with the jump ball, the huge comeback against the Lakers, Pierce coming back after his injury, Ray blowing by Sasha, KG's "anything is possible" speech, and Pierce winning Finals MVP.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 12:16:40 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
In my own (biased) opinion:

5- Celtics come back to win game 3 of 2001 ECF
4- Redsox winnning 2007 WS
3- Patriots winning the SB in 2001
2- Redsox winning 2004 WS
1- Celtics beating the Lakers last year

But again, I'm biased...
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:19:02 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
The city *is* that much more into baseball and football.  However, leaving the Celtics off the list completely is inexcusable.  There were plenty of memorable moments from the Cavs and Lakers series last year, including P.J.'s jumper, Pierce coming down with the jump ball, the huge comeback against the Lakers, Pierce coming back after his injury, Ray blowing by Sasha, KG's "anything is possible" speech, and Pierce winning Finals MVP.

If you saw my 2nd post, he did put the Pierce injury, Allen/Sasha, and KG's interview on the "rest" list... but I agree, even as a Boston outsider it seems like a joke that no moments from last year's magical season even crack the top 10.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
The only team that the Boston sports media cares about is the Red Sox.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 12:24:08 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
yes is the answer to your question

in boston the sox will always be king and NFL vs NBA is a nationwide battle that the NBA is losing horribly which really saddens me.

This C's team is the kind of team that can get fans back, playing hard and playing together but especially for the media (who made the list) the sox and pats sell more papers. Just look at the January through April coverage - as the C's won 62 games defending a title and playing their butts off I have heard more talk about the sox & pats. Hell the day after the home win against the Cavs without KG i turned on EEI hoping hear some glowing reviews of the team and all I heard about was sox spring training, the pats didnt get enough for cassel etc..

It is unfair but I also enjoy not having to deal with the masses of ridiculous fans that swarm when a team starts winning.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
I honestly think it has more to do with what the media likes.  These reporters are clearly sox and pats fans and don't represent the greater fandom.  These are the same people who completely missed the 2002 ECF run and say that the building is louder today than ever before.  I'm sorry but anybody that was a fan back then knows that the building was louder then than today.  The city got behind that team but the media refuses to believe that.  Honestly it all comes down to who controls the media and they are not the biggest celts fans, but that's why you find forums like this.  The celtics have a huge following but we are just not represented.  All my friends are huge Celtics fans and only marginally follow the other team (more the pats than the Sox).  And we're not friends because we're celts fans, we're friends who happen to be celts fans.  I really hate the boston media for creating this biased perspective.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Basketball is the third most popular sport in just about every state. Football I can understand because people love the violent nature of the sport. I don't, however, understand the infatuation with baseball. All they do is stand still, kick dirt, scratch themselves, and spit.

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
I honestly think the media has made the Red Sox what they are.  They want them to be the biggest thing around, so with so much coverage what else is there to do?

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 10:50:01 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Red Sox 86 year drout.
Patriots first championship ever... then a Dynasty.

and honestly why would someone complain about one of their towns sports getting coverage over another? in the past decade the red sox were competative first, the patriots followed suit and won a championship first, then came the celtics. And i don't belong to any Patriots/red sox blogs, but its true. while the celtics were making horrible decisions and were in the middle of their worst decade in team history the Pats and Red Sox were in their best.

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 11:17:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Offering some perspective as one who was around when the Sox were terrible (60's till 1967) and it was easy and cheap to get into Fenway for a game.  But, in 1967 everything seemed to change.  It was a fever. Despite the C's winning 11 out of 13, it was the 'impossible dream' year that captured the town (and they didn't even win the WS).

In the 70's the Celtics and Bruins were popular, but again in 1975, the Red Sox took center stage in another WS losing effort.  Despite 2 Bruins and 2 Celtics championships in the 70's, the enduring Boston sports image of that decade has to be Fisk's home run.

I don't care for baseball or the Red Sox -- I find the game tedious/boring and I often want to scream when our local radio sports talk is all Sox all day (especially when the topics are as dry as 'will they sign Varitek?'), but it is  a Boston reality -- Sox are king; Pats are second. And I do love those Pats.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 11:49:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As much as I love the Celtics, this town is a basketball third type of town. And it's really too bad that this city is in such a lovefest with the Sox and Pats because Boston really has had a gluttony of other great stuff as well:

2009 NCAA Hockey Champions - BU
2008 NCAA Hockey Champions - BC
2001 NCAA Hockey Champions - BC
2001-2003 WBA Heavyweight Champion - John Ruiz
2004 IBF Heavyweight Champion - John Ruiz
2008 NBA Champions - Boston Celtics
2001, 2005-2007 MLS Cup Runner Ups - New England Revolution
2006 ACC Basketball Runner Up and Sweet Sixteen team - Boston College

Add all that to the 5 championships of the Sox and Patriots and the fact that the Red Sox went to 7 games in the ALCS in 2003 and 2008 and the Pats to the Superbowl in 2008 and that means there were a ton of great "moments" to choose from. That no other team but the Pats and the Sox made the list is just one man's opinion and a rather narrow minded look at the Boston sports scene.

My top moments in no particular order:

* Vinatieri's FG in SB XXXVIII
* Vinatieri's FG vs Oakland in the Snow Bowl
* Vinatieri's FG in SB XX
* Celtics 24 point comeback in Game 4 of 2008 Finals
* Celtics 21 point comeback in Game 3 of 2002 Eastern Conference Finals
* Schilling's bloody sock in Game 2 of 2004 World Series
* Foulke closes out Game 4 of 2004 World Series
* The collective 4 day period between October 13th-October 16th of 2004 where the Sox came back from 3 games down to beat the Yankees
* Boston College beats Virginia Tech in 2007 to go to 8-0 and climb to #2 in the natinal polls
* September 23rd, 2001 Tom Brady takes first snap as QB of the Pats after Mo Lewis knocks Drew Bledsoe out of the game
* August 1, 2007 Celtics trade 5 players and draft picks to Minnesota for Kevin Garnett
* John Ruiz defeats Evander Holyfield to become WBA Heavyweight Champion in 2001
* Patriots defeat the Giants for perfect regualr season in 2007