Author Topic: Isiah Thomas new coaching job!  (Read 7891 times)

Isiah Thomas new coaching job!
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Accepts a position at Florida Intl.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Isiah Thomas new coaching job!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Oh boy, poor kids.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:14:30 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Good for Isiah, because he's working. Could be really good or really bad for FIU.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:23:48 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Good for Isiah, because he's working. Could be really good or really bad for FIU.

At least FIU doesn't have a salary cap for Isiah to take a crap on.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
someone mentioned before that isiah actually did pretty good with his draftign and evals of young talent, its established stars and big cap hits that got him in trouble.

so as J said, he doesnt have to worry about anything but evaluating younger players and coaching, he might do alright.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

One thing about College ball...its all about recruiting, right? Well Isiah does seem to have a knack of selling himself to people.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:37:13 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

One thing about College ball...its all about recruiting, right? Well Isiah does seem to have a knack of selling himself to people.

yea no kidding, ricky P and him should compare notes.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
so as J said, he doesnt have to worry about anything but evaluating younger players and coaching, he might do alright.

Thanks Crownsay  ;)

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 12:11:53 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Fire Isiah University?
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 12:14:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'd assume he'd do a good job, because it's all about recruiting.

I mean... Rick Pitino was a massive failure in the NBA, but it didn't change the fact that he was a solid coach that young kids wanted to play for.   I imagine kids would love to play for one of the greatest point guards of all time... someone who knows all the ins and outs of the game and can help them possibly turn into eventual NBA players. 

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

I mean... Rick Pitino was a massive failure in the NBA, but it didn't change the fact that he was a solid coach that young kids wanted to play for.   I imagine kids would love to play for one of the greatest point guards of all time... someone who knows all the ins and outs of the game and can help them possibly turn into eventual NBA players. 

Pitino was a massive failure because he couldn't coach the NBA game or NBA players (he admitted as much on PTI a few years back).  His style simply didn't translate to the pros.  Isiah is a failure because he is an incompetent fool.  There is a big difference.  How many chances to screw up is this guy gonna get?  I give FIU 2 years before news of a major recruiting scandal breaks.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Pitino was a massive failure because he couldn't coach the NBA game or NBA players (he admitted as much on PTI a few years back).  His style simply didn't translate to the pros.  Isiah is a failure because he is an incompetent fool.  There is a big difference.  How many chances to screw up is this guy gonna get?  I give FIU 2 years before news of a major recruiting scandal breaks.

really?

why dont you look at isiah's draft picks. He was a solid evaluator of young talent, which is the overriding skill needed to be a college coach.

where he struggled was bringing in big ego and dollar players who didn't mesh with what he wanted to do, something he wont have to deal with in college.

Another thing that was thrown around was that he struggled to relate to players who made so much money and wielded so much power over the front office. Thats yet another thing he won't have to deal with.

I think your eval is simplistic. It may end up being true, but i'll wait and see. His biggest failings as a GM were finacial management and integrating FA's, two things he won't have to deal with at the college level.

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 02:04:39 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Uh-oh. Isiah on a college campus with college girls? Someone needs to make this a reality show.

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 02:06:40 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I agree I did break it down very simplisticly, but it seems that in Isiah's case it's pretty cut and dry.  Every place he has been hired at, he has left it in worse shape than when he got there.  The CBA went bankrupt while he was running the show, and then he did a poor job in Toronto.  I think everyone could agree that the Knicks were a trainwreck under him.  

I would agree he is a decent evaluator of young talent, as his draft history, while not spectacular, is better than the average GM out there.  I think the problems with him start when he is given the keys to the car, so to speak.  In college hoops, the coach often calls all the shots when it comes to recruiting, personnel, etc.  Isiah does not have a good track record when he is in charge of overall leadership and decision-making.