Author Topic: Would you rather......?  (Read 2990 times)

Would you rather......?
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:13:17 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
This isn't a trade thread its just a gauge on who CB thinks will turn out to be the greater talent.

ALSO:pretend for a minute that PP isn't our beloved savior and we would never let him go.

Which would be a better option for a Celtics team whose window is closed (salary isn't an issue, this is all about talent vs. talent)

Ray Allen for OJ Mayo
Paul Pierce for Kevin Durant
Kevin Garnett for Michael Beasley

keep in mind that if you got rid of one the others would still be here.

Re: Would you rather......?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:30:40 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
With the window being closed I would do the Paul for Durant trade.  I don't think Beasley will ever be a leading player on a championship level team.  I think it's easier to get players similar to Mayo than it is Durant.  Durant is just having a sick season for a 20 year old.   He is already putting up crazy numbers averaging 25.5 PPG and will only get better.   Plus he is clutch. 

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 12:32:19 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
This isn't a trade thread its just a gauge on who CB thinks will turn out to be the greater talent.

ALSO:pretend for a minute that PP isn't our beloved savior and we would never let him go.

Which would be a better option for a Celtics team whose window is closed (salary isn't an issue, this is all about talent vs. talent)

Ray Allen for OJ Mayo

i need more info.

Like, am i trying to build a team that still has a chance to win now? or building for the future?

If its still be able to win now, then i guess i would do the allen deal and role out

rondo
mayo
paul
KG
perk

I'd skip durant in a win now scenario only because he doesn't play defense (yet, he may in the future)

but If im trying to build for the future in general, with no importance placed on winning right now, then i do all three, since they are all ridiculously young blue chipper prospects.

well....mabey not the beasley one, since im not convinced he'll be a franchise player, but the other two i do in a heartbeat if my goal is long term and not win now.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:34:26 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
With the window being closed I would do the Paul for Durant trade.  I don't think Beasley will ever be a leading player on a championship level team.  I think it's easier to get players similar to Mayo than it is Durant.  Durant is just having a sick season for a 20 year old.   He is already putting up crazy numbers averaging 25.5 PPG and will only get better.   Plus he is clutch. 

100% agree. You just can't teach size, and i have a thing for "non big men" that can take their defender in the post and go to work. think of how much you could overpower someone with him at the SF. Actually think of his defensive potential if he wasn't relied on so highly on the offensive end.

Kevin Durant <3

hell i should have put in Perk for Oden, becuase i wouldn't do that trade either.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:36:34 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

100% agree. You just can't teach size, and i have a thing for "non big men" that can take their defender in the post and go to work. think of how much you could overpower someone with him at the SF. Actually think of his defensive potential if he wasn't relied on so highly on the offensive end.

Kevin Durant <3

hell i should have put in Perk for Oden, becuase i wouldn't do that trade either.

I agree that he's super young and going to be a great scorer, but i'm going to need to see some defensive desire before i credit him with "defensive potential"

that said, as i put in my above post, if im in strictly rebuilding mode for some reason, then you do the trade, based on age and upside.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:21 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

Ray Allen for OJ Mayo

i need more info.

Like, am i trying to build a team that still has a chance to win now? or building for the future?

If its still be able to win now, then i guess i would do the allen deal and role out

rondo
mayo
paul
KG
perk

I'd skip durant in a win now scenario only because he doesn't play defense (yet, he may in the future)

but If im trying to build for the future in general, then i do all three, since they are all ridiculously young blue chipper prospects.

well....mabey not the beasley one, since im not convinced he'll be a franchise player, but the other two i do in a heartbeat if my goal is long term and not win now.

I'm saying more for the long term, cuase hell we just went 16-7 without KG and Beasley would be an Upgrade over BBD in the starting role.

But a team of Rondo, Ray, Durant, KG, and Perk would be a no brainer cause it'd give you the win now mentality and would leave you with Rajon and Perk still being young with Durant being REALLY young.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:45:33 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Ray Allen for OJ Mayo

i need more info.

rondo
mayo
paul
KG
perk

but If im trying to build for the future in general, then i do all three, since they are all ridiculously young blue chipper prospects.

I'm saying more for the long term, cuase hell we just went 16-7 without KG and Beasley would be an Upgrade over BBD in the starting role.

But a team of Rondo, Ray, Durant, KG, and Perk would be a no brainer cause it'd give you the win now mentality and would leave you with Rajon and Perk still being young with Durant being REALLY young.

right, but you have a major defensive hole at the three.

i mean, i really, really like durant, but he is a horrid defender right now.

Alot of younger players have started out bad defensively, and its definitely the last thing that clicks, but in a  "still able to win now" scenario, no way do i trade a top defensive wing who can score as effectively as pierce.

long term rebuilding, of course you do the durantula for paul.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 12:54:21 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

Ray Allen for OJ Mayo

i need more info.

rondo
mayo
paul
KG
perk

Alot of younger players have started out bad defensively, and its definitely the last thing that clicks, but in a  "still able to win now" scenario, no way do i trade a top defensive wing who can score as effectively as pierce.

I just think that with his length, and coming into a defensive based program he'll step up.

I'm a huge beleiver that on bad teams with one good player its EXTREMELY difficult to dedicate to defense when you can't count on anyone else for offense.

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 01:29:25 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Re: the point made about defense - none of those three play defense at this point.  And Durant is on another level from the other two overall.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 02:14:55 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Re: the point made about defense - none of those three play defense at this point.  And Durant is on another level from the other two overall.

-sw

True about the defense, but if all three go about 75% on the defensive end Mayo and Beasley are still undersized at their positions, unless you put Mayo at the point...

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 02:45:14 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Durant, you can't teach height with that skill set, he'll hit uber level soon.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 06:07:20 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Ray Allen for OJ Mayo

i need more info.

rondo
mayo
paul
KG
perk

I just think that with his length, and coming into a defensive based program he'll step up.

I'm a huge beleiver that on bad teams with one good player its EXTREMELY difficult to dedicate to defense when you can't count on anyone else for offense.

why couldn't he defend at texas then? Texas was known as a defensive team at the time and other teams attacked KD pretty often as thier weakness.

I think he has every chance to become a good defender as he progresses, but he's NEVER shown the ability or desire to play defense up until this point.

But again, as I said, not alot of younger players do, so thats not really a indication of how he'll progress in the future.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 08:37:51 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

-sw

Co-sign.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 08:40:08 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

-sw

Co-sign.

What they said.

I have a thing for Durant.