Author Topic: KG's dream shake  (Read 2163 times)

KG's dream shake
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »

Offline yoursweatersux

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 45
Kind of an odd time to post this topic (with KG's injuries and all) but whatever happened to KG's go-to post move? In fact, whatever happened to KG's presence in the post, period?

It seems like this season he's confined himself to only two shots... alley-oop dunks and that 18-20 foot jumper. I also wonder if this is because Doc has told KG to get out of the post or if KG is just doing it on his own. Anybody have any ideas?

Re: KG's dream shake
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:50:53 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
gives perk more room

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:01:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
calling what KG does and used to do a "dream shake" isn't fair to the original dream. Not to say KG is not talented, but there will never truly be another dream shake.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:11:54 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
He hasnt been right all year.
His dream shake is nothing close to the great Hakeem Olajuwon, I dont think thats the point, But I do see what you're saying, his only offense was a jumper or rondo creating him a shot this season...hes just has a bad year, the worst of his career and is definetly starting to decline
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »

Offline sky101

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
He's never been known for his low post game. Ever.

He's gotten around it just fine though. I think he was the leader in most points scored in the 2004 season, his MVP year - even though he's not a traditional low post scorer.

He's been criticized for it, but its an old argument. Some players are who they are, especially when the reach their 30s. He won a ring despite it right?

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
long season to be banging inside, but you're right hopefully KG goes back to his bread & butter.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »

Offline yoursweatersux

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 45
His dream shake is nothing close to the great Hakeem Olajuwon, I dont think thats the point, But I do see what you're saying, his only offense was a jumper or rondo creating him a shot this season...hes just has a bad year, the worst of his career and is definetly starting to decline

Exactly. Call it whatever you like, but the point is that move is no longer in his game. In my opinion, that needs to come back for a few reasons:

1. KG is absolutely deadly with that shot, and can get it off on anyone at anytime. One the other hand, KG's long jumper is solid but requires some serious ball movement (aka turnover risk) to get him open for it. There's no turnover risk involved when the game plan is simply "give the ball to KG and let him go to work".
2. It forces teams to double him in the post, which gets other teammates like Perk open for dunks.
3. The closer he is to the basket, the more likely he is to pull down an offensive rebound.
4. Lastly, I'd rather have KG do this move than have Perkins back it in. Perk's offense has improved, but it's definitely not to the point where I'd rather have Perk taking the shot.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

also, he tried it the first ten games and it was consistanly called a travel, remeber we had a thread discussing if it was?

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 01:31:35 PM »

Offline ahmedadatruth

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1

Exactly. Call it whatever you like, but the point is that move is no longer in his game. In my opinion, that needs to come back for a few reasons:

1. KG is absolutely deadly with that shot, and can get it off on anyone at anytime. One the other hand, KG's long jumper is solid but requires some serious ball movement (aka turnover risk) to get him open for it. There's no turnover risk involved when the game plan is simply "give the ball to KG and let him go to work".
2. It forces teams to double him in the post, which gets other teammates like Perk open for dunks.
3. The closer he is to the basket, the more likely he is to pull down an offensive rebound.
4. Lastly, I'd rather have KG do this move than have Perkins back it in. Perk's offense has improved, but it's definitely not to the point where I'd rather have Perk taking the shot.
While I'm not ready to say hes on his decline just yet but that aspect of his game is lacking and it is ironic cuz as yoursweater said its an extremely deadly part of his game but rarely used. He seems to be more comfortable with the outside jumper but im not sure if he hasnt realized or something but theres no one who can stop him on the post one on one. This is hoping that he gets his head on and eats cats up in the playoffs go Celtics