1 (2.1%)
Dwight Howard
2 (4.3%)
Chris Paul
1 (2.1%)
Other
5 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: NBA MVP  (Read 19864 times)

Re: NBA MVP
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Oh, and to answer the topic question:

Lebron: MVP

Wade: Player of the Year

/topic  :P

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2009, 03:42:52 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I also don't fully agree with the whole "imagine the heat without wade" argument. Ya, they'd be bad. But which of the aforementioned teams would be good? Yes, the Cavs supporting cast is better, but does the difference between talent make up for the 24 wins that separate the Cavs and the Heat? The Cavs are considered a great defensive team, but who on that team is good at playing defense besides LBJ (besides Ben Wallace when healthy)? Remember, it's easy to overrate a surrounding cast when the star is making the rest of the team that much better.

Finally, the simplest way I look at it is through "trade scenarios." If you traded Dwayne Wade straight up for any of the other MVP candidates, wouldn't in every scenario the Heat get better and the other team gets worse?
Again, he's nice, but he's not the MVP.

In addition to everything cordobes said, these are two very important points.  Thanks for bringing up the "trade" comment, SO.

Granted, the way the chatter goes sometimes, neither player should be eligible - Wade's team didn't win enough games, and LBJ's teammates were too good.

Oh, right.  That's ridiculous on both counts.

Taking each player off his team does nothing but reward the guy who plays with worse teammates.  They've been very close, and I believe they are 1-2 in the balloting, but LBJ offers more defensive versatility and, as cordobes notes, better scoring efficiency and boardwork.

-sw

As far as the trade question goes, the answer (with the possible exception of LeBron) is no, that team absolutely does not get better.

This is the danger of posting late at night while rushing to get off a public computer (my not-so-trusty ol' Macbook is at Apple right now) - I owe you an apology and clarification, KC.  I read a bit quickly on SO's post and didn't say exactly what I should have - which is that the trade idea as a concept, makes a lot of sense to me - but the place I would apply it here is with and only with LeBron.

I think you're absolutely right that I'm not moving Wade for any of the other candidates.  But I think the Heat at least consider moving 2009 Wade for 2009 James while I don't think Cleveland does it the other way around (this is, of course, only in our "no-strings-attached hypothetical, this-season-only" world).  I certainly buy that he's in the discussion and and made this a closer race than I would have expected. I just don't think he's the one this season.

Sorry for any lack of clarity earlier - I should have been more careful in my word choice there.

-sw

Exactly Steve, I don't literally mean that these teams should uproot their superstars, but just hypothetically to make a point:

Lebron James' Heat would get better, Dwayne Wade's Cavs would get worse. Which is kind of an annex to my fundamental argument; that the difference between the two's cast doesn't come anywhere close to the difference between the wins (26 wins, roughly 25% better).

Where I disagree is that I think that Howard, Kobe, and CP3 are also having better seasons than Wade. Stats aren't everything, in fact I'm somewhat contradicting myself in an earlier post when I stated D-Wade's defense isn't as good as his stat lines, but my god, take a look at Dwight Howard and Chris Paul's statistics. They're absolutely ridiculous!

Yes, Paul's team has gotten worse than they were last year, but they've also been battling injuries significantly worse, and when these players (Peja and Chandler mostly) did return they didn't play anywhere close to the levels that one would expect. Despite these losses, he's kept his team winning and his production has remained the same. Many of us were upset that he didn't win it last year, why is he so out of this year?

07-08: 21.1 points on .488 shooting, 11.6 assists, 4.0 rebounds, 2.7 steals and 2.5 to's a game
08-09: 22.8 points on .504 shooting, 11.0 assists, 5.5 rebounds, 2.8 steals and 3.0 to's a game.

(Which is more steals, assists, rebounds, better fg%, and less turnovers than Wade who beats Cp3 in overall points and blocks.)

Mid season we were talking about how important Jameer Nelson was to the Magic's success, yet with him injured they haven't lost a step. And the predominant portion of their PG minutes are going to a tandem of Anthony Johnson and Rafer Alston. While its nice to have players like Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu, they don't make up a successful team: Dwight Howard does.

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2009, 07:09:43 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I also don't fully agree with the whole "imagine the heat without wade" argument. Ya, they'd be bad. But which of the aforementioned teams would be good? Yes, the Cavs supporting cast is better, but does the difference between talent make up for the 24 wins that separate the Cavs and the Heat? The Cavs are considered a great defensive team, but who on that team is good at playing defense besides LBJ (besides Ben Wallace when healthy)? Remember, it's easy to overrate a surrounding cast when the star is making the rest of the team that much better.

Finally, the simplest way I look at it is through "trade scenarios." If you traded Dwayne Wade straight up for any of the other MVP candidates, wouldn't in every scenario the Heat get better and the other team gets worse?
Again, he's nice, but he's not the MVP.

In addition to everything cordobes said, these are two very important points.  Thanks for bringing up the "trade" comment, SO.

Granted, the way the chatter goes sometimes, neither player should be eligible - Wade's team didn't win enough games, and LBJ's teammates were too good.

Oh, right.  That's ridiculous on both counts.

Taking each player off his team does nothing but reward the guy who plays with worse teammates.  They've been very close, and I believe they are 1-2 in the balloting, but LBJ offers more defensive versatility and, as cordobes notes, better scoring efficiency and boardwork.

-sw

As far as the trade question goes, the answer (with the possible exception of LeBron) is no, that team absolutely does not get better.

This is the danger of posting late at night while rushing to get off a public computer (my not-so-trusty ol' Macbook is at Apple right now) - I owe you an apology and clarification, KC.  I read a bit quickly on SO's post and didn't say exactly what I should have - which is that the trade idea as a concept, makes a lot of sense to me - but the place I would apply it here is with and only with LeBron.

I think you're absolutely right that I'm not moving Wade for any of the other candidates.  But I think the Heat at least consider moving 2009 Wade for 2009 James while I don't think Cleveland does it the other way around (this is, of course, only in our "no-strings-attached hypothetical, this-season-only" world).  I certainly buy that he's in the discussion and and made this a closer race than I would have expected. I just don't think he's the one this season.

Sorry for any lack of clarity earlier - I should have been more careful in my word choice there.

-sw

Exactly Steve, I don't literally mean that these teams should uproot their superstars, but just hypothetically to make a point:

Lebron James' Heat would get better, Dwayne Wade's Cavs would get worse. Which is kind of an annex to my fundamental argument; that the difference between the two's cast doesn't come anywhere close to the difference between the wins (26 wins, roughly 25% better).

Where I disagree is that I think that Howard, Kobe, and CP3 are also having better seasons than Wade. Stats aren't everything, in fact I'm somewhat contradicting myself in an earlier post when I stated D-Wade's defense isn't as good as his stat lines, but my god, take a look at Dwight Howard and Chris Paul's statistics. They're absolutely ridiculous!

Yes, Paul's team has gotten worse than they were last year, but they've also been battling injuries significantly worse, and when these players (Peja and Chandler mostly) did return they didn't play anywhere close to the levels that one would expect. Despite these losses, he's kept his team winning and his production has remained the same. Many of us were upset that he didn't win it last year, why is he so out of this year?

07-08: 21.1 points on .488 shooting, 11.6 assists, 4.0 rebounds, 2.7 steals and 2.5 to's a game
08-09: 22.8 points on .504 shooting, 11.0 assists, 5.5 rebounds, 2.8 steals and 3.0 to's a game.

(Which is more steals, assists, rebounds, better fg%, and less turnovers than Wade who beats Cp3 in overall points and blocks.)

Mid season we were talking about how important Jameer Nelson was to the Magic's success, yet with him injured they haven't lost a step. And the predominant portion of their PG minutes are going to a tandem of Anthony Johnson and Rafer Alston. While its nice to have players like Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu, they don't make up a successful team: Dwight Howard does.

Ok, but especially in Howard's case, its ridiculous to ignore the help he's had. Especially when Howard is the most limited of all the MVP candidates.

I think the only reason the Cavs would get substantially worse if they traded LeBron for DWade is because they'd have no viable starting small forward and a dearth of two and tweener guards. I think you guys are severely underrating DWade as, not only a player, but as a leader. His entire career he's been elevating his teammates' game, going all the way back to college when he lead Marquette to the Final Four ( where. granted, he choked against Kansas) and going to this year.

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2009, 01:34:03 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Cleveland without Lebron doesn't win 40 games.

Both Chicago and Philly have more talented players than Big Z, Delonte and Mo Williams.

So if Chicago with Ben Gordon and their new players in Brad Miller, John Salmons and Derek Rose can barely win 40 games and if Philly with Andre Miller and Iggy can barely win 40 games....there is no chance in hell a Cavs' team led by Big Z and Delonte West can win 40 games.

To be fair, the Bulls didn't get Miller and Salmons until more than halfway through the season. And Philly would have a better record than they do now if they hadn't started Brand at PF the first 15 games.

Still, without Lebron there's no way they're even as close to as good as the Charlotte Bobcats.

Way.

I'm sorry, but that's absolutely absurd

Just wanted to point out that their bench just lost to the 76ers by one in overtime.

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2009, 02:02:40 AM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK

Both Chicago and Philly have more talented players than Big Z, Delonte and Mo Williams.

So if Chicago with Ben Gordon and their new players in Brad Miller, John Salmons and Derek Rose can barely win 40 games and if Philly with Andre Miller and Iggy can barely win 40 games....there is no chance in hell a Cavs' team led by Big Z and Delonte West can win 40 games.

To be fair, the Bulls didn't get Miller and Salmons until more than halfway through the season. And Philly would have a better record than they do now if they hadn't started Brand at PF the first 15 games.

Still, without Lebron there's no way they're even as close to as good as the Charlotte Bobcats.

Way.

Just wanted to point out that their bench just lost to the 76ers by one in overtime.

However, not only were they without LeBron but Zydrunas, Mo, and Joe Smith. I mean you give them back Mo and Zydrunas they win that game easily.
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2009, 11:49:10 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Way.

However, not only were they without LeBron but Zydrunas, Mo, and Joe Smith. I mean you give them back Mo and Zydrunas they win that game easily.

My point exactly. And Philly was fighting for something.

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
hands down, not even close....... LBJ

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2009, 04:11:06 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Lebron James.

Statistical Dominance and Team Dominance.

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Is there any reason that Dwight Howard is considered a candidate, but no one from the Celtics is?  I'd say Pierce and/or Ray have done better jobs carrying their teams.  Shoot, Howard's team had the 2nd seed and folded down the stretch and lost the 2 seed for crying out loud!  Pierce and Ray led the Celtics PASSED Dwight Howard's team after being behind them.

Pierce and Allen led their team to 62 wins with KG out a significant amount of time.  I would vote Pierce, except he's not on the list, so I'm not voting for anyone! >:(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2009, 04:27:14 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
We have data on how good are the Cavs without LeBron James: in the last 2 seasons they played 8 games without him and lost them all. Mo Williams is a good player? Sure, if you don't ask him to actually run the point. Setting the offence, he's a disaster: a big reason why the Bucks were so consistently beatable when he was there (and why all they didn't get back much from his trade - not many teams besides Cleveland were interested on getting Mo). There's no way the Cavs without James can beat any other team besides the Wizards.

On the other hand, I feel the Heat supporting cast is a bit underrated. They came close to beating the C's without Wade, wasn't it?

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2009, 04:33:15 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I wonder what the qualifications are?
If MVP = best player, then clearly it's
LeBron's to hold. No doubt.

I always thought the MVP = most valuable
player to his team. I could be wrong?

Does anyone know?

Personally, I believe you are wrong - although I don't think there are any written rules or an objective standard. But if you weren't wrong, then LeBron should have won the last 2 MVP awards, right?

Anyway, I don't think it really matters: Cleveland sans-Lebron wouldn't win 24 more games than Miami sans-Wade, IMO.

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2009, 04:37:37 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Will Solomon
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
ahem Will Solomon?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2009, 07:59:15 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
wheres dj mbenga? nah but seriously i think its pierce but no one else is with me

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2009, 08:18:08 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
this has to be celticsblog.
no votes for Kobe.
Thats why I love this place.
You all have blood of Green.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?