1 (2.1%)
Dwight Howard
2 (4.3%)
Chris Paul
1 (2.1%)
Other
5 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: NBA MVP  (Read 19919 times)

Re: NBA MVP
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 09:30:57 AM »

Offline lilbrady012

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Its obvious that Lebron is going to win MVP, but Its really annoying that people are saying this is a no-brainer. I believe Dwade is the real MVP, just look at Miami without him, they'd be a 15-win team if they have a good year. Hes playing with rookies, and washed up veterans, and hes carried them to a 5-seed. And those who think all he does is get steals, u really have not watched this man play defense. He changes the game with the way he plays defense, and his number of steals dont do him justice.

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 09:47:15 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I agree with the arguments made for James. I wanted to pick someone that no one is really discussing like Billups, but it would be disingenuous. In my mind, it is a four-man race between James, Wade, Howard, and that guy on the fakers who shall remain nameless. I love CP3, but he is not in contention this year. Of those four I mentioned, James clearly has the most attributes that define an MVP in my mind. Unlike Howard, he has an all around game. As for Wade, James' supporting cast may be a bit better than Miami's, but they don't come close to contending for a championship without James. Miami can't contend for a championship with or without Wade at this point. In regard to that other player, well, I just think James has had the better year. There are more substantive arguments for James, but those have already been illuminated by others previously so I won't rehash them here.  
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 09:56:53 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I agree with the arguments made for James. I wanted to pick someone that no one is really discussing like Billups, but it would be disingenuous. In my mind, it is a four-man race between James, Wade, Howard, and that guy on the fakers who shall remain nameless. I love CP3, but he is not in contention this year. Of those four I mentioned, James clearly has the most attributes that define an MVP in my mind. Unlike Howard, he has an all around game. As for Wade, James' supporting cast may be a bit better than Miami's, but they don't come close to contending for a championship without James. Miami can't contend for a championship with or without Wade at this point. In regard to that other player, well, I just think James has had the better year. There are more substantive arguments for James, but those have already been illuminated by others previously so I won't rehash them here.  

speaking of billups, now that this season is over, isnt it absolutely crazy that trading billups took the nuggets from an 8th seed to a 2 seed, and the pistons from a 2 seed to an 8th seed? its crazy to me...the guy is just a flat out winner...He deserves to be in the mix somewhere, but LeBron is still the clear cut favorite, with noone else even remotely close
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

speaking of billups, now that this season is over, isnt it absolutely crazy that trading billups took the nuggets from an 8th seed to a 2 seed, and the pistons from a 2 seed to an 8th seed? its crazy to me...the guy is just a flat out winner...He deserves to be in the mix somewhere, but LeBron is still the clear cut favorite, with noone else even remotely close

It is. One can't help to think of what
could have been, had he stayed
in Boston back then?...

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 10:02:13 AM »

• Don Chaney
Its obvious that Lebron is going to win MVP, but Its really annoying that people are saying this is a no-brainer. I believe Dwade is the real MVP, just look at Miami without him, they'd be a 15-win team if they have a good year. Hes playing with rookies, and washed up veterans, and hes carried them to a 5-seed. And those who think all he does is get steals, u really have not watched this man play defense. He changes the game with the way he plays defense, and his number of steals dont do him justice.

cmon now...
 it should be unanimous that lebron james is the mvp, and the fact that it isnt shows how useless this award truly is. Dwyane wade 'carried' his team to a 5 seed---wooow...I gotta be honest and say Lebron james would turn that heat team until a title contender, because the thought that lebrons teammates are now all of a sudden great and much better then the heats (when for 3 years people have been calling them the biggest scrubs in the nba and essentially all theyve added is 2 undersized guards) is not true...they arent...theyre a 20 win team without him, and we're talking about a team who if they win it all will be in the conversation for best ever..

And as for Kobe, i think Pau gasol is the MVP of that team, so I dont see how kobe could be the MVP of the league..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:07:57 AM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 10:23:29 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It will be LeBron James, and, IMHO, it is deserved.  I hate all the marketing stuff (especially the "Witness" stuff), I hate that he is nicknamed "The King" (vaguely sacreligious in my mind), I hate that all the announcers and commentators are in love with LBJ.... but, none of that diminishes the fact that if you could choose one player in the NBA right now to start a team with, it would be LeBron.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 11:10:41 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
Cut the crap, we all know it's this guy

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 11:22:35 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I'm getting really tired of hearing about Dwayne Wade in the MVP conversation. He's a great player, probably top five, but I don't think he has any business in the most valuable player conversation.

Why not? No one in the league is playing at a significantly higher level than Wade. He passes the eye test and the stat test.

On top of that I base the initial criteria for the regular season MVP on who is the most important player on any team. Without Wade or CP3, their teams are going to the lottery, not the playoffs. No one else can say that. Those two gave their team a chance at a title which is the most important thing in the regular season. A chance at a title trumps home court advantage in terms of value to me.

I also don't fully agree with the whole "imagine the heat without wade" argument...the simplest way I look at it is through "trade scenarios." If you traded Dwayne Wade straight up for any of the other MVP candidates, wouldn't in every scenario the Heat get better and the other team gets worse?
Again, he's nice, but he's not the MVP.

The simplest way to decide anything shouldn't be based on hypothetical situations. Yes Wade probably did the most because he had the least to work with, but that doesn't change the fact that he did the most.

I hate that every year ESPN and the media changes how they'll decide an MVP and everyone jumps on whoever they make the front runner. In purely basketball terms, no one has meant more to their team than DWade this season in deciding wins and losses and creating team success. That's an MVP.

The team argument is something I truly disagree with. First off, all of those teams are lottery teams w/o their star (maybe not the lakers, but probably b/c of the tough west). Secondly, I already touched upon this, the difference in the supporting casts doesn't make up for the difference in WINS.

There's no way the difference between Mario Chalmers, Michael Beasely, Udonis Haslem and Jermaine O'Neil vs. Delonte West, Mo Williams, Ben Wallace and Zyraudus Ilgauskus is TWENTY SIX wins.

Again, I use the Cavs/LBJ becasue it makes my points more obvious but you can use these same practices for the other candidates.

Wade brought his bad team to mediocrity, Lebron brought his slightly better team to become the best team in the league. It's not even close.

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

There's no way the difference between Mario Chalmers, Michael Beasely, Udonis Haslem and Jermaine O'Neil vs. Delonte West, Mo Williams, Ben Wallace and Zyraudus Ilgauskus is TWENTY SIX wins.

Sure there is, first off only one player on that list is an all star caliber player and that's Mo Williams. Secondly, Delonte is better than Chalmers, Ilgauskus is better than O'Neal, plus Cleveland is much deeper. That is a team that could win 40 games in the east.

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Sure there is, first off only one player on that list is an all star caliber player and that's Mo Williams. Secondly, Delonte is better than Chalmers, Ilgauskus is better than O'Neal, plus Cleveland is much deeper. That is a team that could win 40 games in the east.

This is going to have to be an agree to disagree thing. Because I don't think there's ANY chance that the Cavs win 40 games. If this was a Vegas bet, and I never bet, but I honestly would put half my bank account on it.

That's a gawdawful team.

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

This is going to have to be an agree to disagree thing. Because I don't think there's ANY chance that the Cavs win 40 games. If this was a Vegas bet, and I never bet, but I honestly would put half my bank account on it.

That's a gawdawful team.

No worse than the 76ers.

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

That's a gawdawful team.

I totally agree- the difference is certainly not 26 wins. That is a ridiculous amount. Furthermore, most people would have said before that Shawn Marion was a better player than Mo Williams. Steve Nash made Marion into a mid-level all-star, while Wade did nothing to help his cause and made him an average starter. Mo Williams went from an average starter to a borderline all-star AFTER he joined Lebron and the Cavs. Lebron clearly makes his teammates better. Delonte, Wally, Joe Smith and a hobbled Z just aren't that impressive anywhere else (as proven with Delonte and Wally with the Celtics).

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 12:23:06 PM »

• Don Chaney

Mo williams wasnt an all-star until he played with lebron. Lebron made him an all star.

Theres absolutely no way that cavs team wins 40 games without Lebron, you cant even be serious. for the last 3 years people have been calling lebrons supporting cast the worst in the league - BY FAR ...they add mo williams, and now they have a great supporting cast and could win 40 without lebron?

Lol, The heat would have 60+ wins with Lebron, everyone on that team would be better and we wouldnt even know who anderson varejao is

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

That's a gawdawful team.

I totally agree- the difference is certainly not 26 wins. That is a ridiculous amount. Furthermore, most people would have said before that Shawn Marion was a better player than Mo Williams. Steve Nash made Marion into a mid-level all-star, while Wade did nothing to help his cause and made him an average starter. Mo Williams went from an average starter to a borderline all-star AFTER he joined Lebron and the Cavs. Lebron clearly makes his teammates better. Delonte, Wally, Joe Smith and a hobbled Z just aren't that impressive anywhere else (as proven with Delonte and Wally with the Celtics).

Mo Williams averaged 17 pts and 6 assts a game for two seasons before going to Cleveland. In what universe is that average?

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 12:27:41 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Mo williams wasnt an all-star until he played with lebron. Lebron made him an all star.

Theres absolutely no way that cavs team wins 40 games without Lebron, you cant even be serious. for the last 3 years people have been calling lebrons supporting cast the worst in the league - BY FAR ...they add mo williams, and now they have a great supporting cast and could win 40 without lebron?

Lol, The heat would have 60+ wins with Lebron, everyone on that team would be better and we wouldnt even know who anderson varejao is

With the exception of scoring, which has taken a slight bounce, Mo Williams' numbers have dropped since moving to Cleveland. If his numbers this season were worth getting an all star nod, then his numbers with the Bucks should have been too, leBron didn't make Mo Williams a better player, he just made it easier for everyone to see how good Mo is.