Author Topic: Hardwood Paroxysm and the Celtics  (Read 825 times)

Hardwood Paroxysm and the Celtics
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:53:58 PM »

Offline RealTangiblesGuy

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3
I'm not sure how many of you are reader of HardwoodParoxysm (hardwoodparoxysm.com) but I have noticed them recently taking a lot of unfair shots at the Celtics recently.  I noticed another comment made there today about an article posted on our front page.  I thought the response written by Moore was a bit weak because he seems to define the word "proven" as postseason success simply in order to weaken the point made on the front page when it seemed clear to me that what was implied by proven (on CB) was a championship winning core.  I posted a long response on HP and thought we might have some discussion on the topic here as its pretty interesting

Undoubtedly, the Cavs have had a lot of postseason success.  Finals appearence 2 years ago, took eventual champions to 7 games in second round, etc.).  However, in the NBA, every 10 years, the number of teams with championships can usually be counted one one hand (if you select the 10 year window very carefluly, you might need an additional finger or two).  This means that for many reasons, for any given era in the NBA, only a select few teams have the core necessary to win a championship.  Many teams appear to have such a core (early 2000's Kings, Suns, Mavs, etc. ) but do not win championships despite much postseason success.  The only way to prove, without a doubt, that you have such a core, is to win a championship.  That, IMO, is the point being made by the Celticsblog writer.  Out of all the cores in the NBA, only 2 have proven they can win the ring: The Spurs core, and the Celtics core (all other recent championship cores have since been dismantled).  In that way, the Cavaliers core is not "proven."  Of course, C's fans know better than anyone else (aside from Pistons fans) that the Cavs are a very dangerous team.  But, we also know that they haven't proven the strength of their core yet. 

The same point applies to superstars in the NBA.  We find that every championship team has at least one player who is an all time great at their position (let's call this type of player super-elite for easy reference).  On teams without rings, we speculate that such and such player may or may not be super-elite.  However, because only a few teams win championships, we know that only a very small amount of players in the NBA at any given time are super-elite players (perhaps 4 or 5).  Therefore, not all the players we speculate as super-elite are truly super-elite (in other words, Lebron, Kobe, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, etc.) can't all be super-elite players.  Only 3-4 of them truly are (since we know of at least 3 for sure (Duncan, Wade, KG.)  The only true, foolproof way to know a player is super-elite is when that player is the best player on a championship team.  In that way, Lebron and Kobe and CP3 and D12 are not proven in the way that D-Wade, Duncan, and KG are. 

Oh, and before someone mentions the '04 Pistons, they lack a super-elite player only if you decide that defense is completely unimportant to the game of basketball.  If you believe it is equally important to offense, you shouldn't have too much difficulty deciphering who the super-elite player on that team was.

Re: Hardwood Paroxysm and the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:01:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not to mention that the Cavs team that made the Finals 2 years ago looked very different from this one.  These are the players who played in Game 1 of the Finals for Cleveland, vs those who will probably get PT this year:

Starters:
LeBron                         LeBron
Gooden                         Varejao
Z                              Z
Pavlovic                       Mo Williams
Hughes                         Delonte

Bench:
Varejao                        Ben Wallace
Donyell Marshall               Gibson
Damon Jones                    Joe Smith
Daniel Gibson                  Wally

Only LeBron, Varejao, Z, and Gibson had significant roles on both squads (Pavlovic is still there but isn't a major part of the rotation any more).  So the core has changed substantially as well.

Re: Hardwood Paroxysm and the Celtics
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:22:37 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
honestly I think he's got a fair point - at least in terms of saying that Cleveland is unproven - I had forgotten about their trip to the Finals a few years back, though that was with largely a different squad
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)