Author Topic: Anyone think Ray will get suspended?  (Read 14952 times)

Re: Anyone think Ray will get suspended?
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
You're calling Ray a chump and saying Varejao "didn't do anything" - Ray's reaction was justified and understandable.

You're welcome.

Did I say Andy didn't do anything? No - I said Andy stoood there with his hands up as to say "I didn't do anything".  There is a difference there, and you're failing to make that distinction.

Elbowing a player in the groin is never justified and understandable. 

You've implied that he did nothing.

He threw Ray to the floor using his upper body strength while leaving his hands in the air pretending as though he's done nothing then moving towards Ray with his hands still in the air trying to intimidate him.

The video is there for all to see, but you're Cav-tinted glasses can't see clearly enough.

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2009, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Okay....I think I may have said this earlier but I will say it again.

Andy threw Ray down and definitely intentionally stood very close to Ray after the ref blew the whistle to emphasize his point.  Ray could have stood up (he had room) before he threw his elbow, but he went for a little cheap shot instead. 

I honestly think people are making a bigger deal out of this then it really is

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2009, 02:59:12 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Andy threw Ray down and definitely intentionally stood very close to Ray after the ref blew the whistle to emphasize his point.  Ray could have stood up (he had room) before he threw his elbow, but he went for a little cheap shot instead. 

TP for being a rational fan, this is a non issue.

Both guys were jerks on the play, but the fact is, this wasn't a big deal to anyone but those who don't play pickup ball.

This would have been forgotten 5 minutes after it happened if it wasn't for the fact that the NBA has decided to bill itself as the "no emotions allowed" league after the palace incident, and ESPN plays right along and implodes every show of emotion and frustration into a huge incident.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2009, 03:00:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

TP Mac, I agree with everything you've said.  Ultimately this is a case of two guys acting like jerks in a heated moment of a game that was no longer competitive.  I am curious to see if this comes up again in the playoffs if both squads are fortunate enough to be there.

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
You're calling Ray a chump and saying Varejao "didn't do anything" - Ray's reaction was justified and understandable.

You're welcome.

Did I say Andy didn't do anything? No - I said Andy stoood there with his hands up as to say "I didn't do anything".  There is a difference there, and you're failing to make that distinction.

Elbowing a player in the groin is never justified and understandable. 

so far:

you've said andy didn't throw him to the ground and that wasen't dirty.

you've gone onto say that andy shoving his man bits into the back of rays head was to show he wanted to apologize and the play was unintentional (I know the first thing i want to assure me no ill intent was intended on a play is my man's twig and berries up against my neck. I can't see why that would make someone mad  ::))

youve gone on to say that andy had to get in ray's face post elbow or he'd be considered a coward.

so what, pray tell, have you NOT excused andy for?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2009, 03:11:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Yeah, this is spot on.  Andy threw Ray to the floor and stood over him like a goon.  Ray retaliated.  One dirty play deserves another.  I think their even.

Now, I'd like to see Andy try that move with Perk.   

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yeah, this is spot on.  Andy threw Ray to the floor and stood over him like a goon.  Ray retaliated.  One dirty play deserves another.  I think their even.

Now, I'd like to see Andy try that move with Perk.   

well, he would never get Perk to go down with that move, he would hurt his own arm. Anyway, the play was no big deal, no one got hurt ir anything. Either Verajao was wearing a cup or he has no balls, but he clearly did not get hurt by Ray's elbow, no harm no foul

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2009, 04:02:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree its not a huge deal.  I just think the NBA will take an opportunity to send a message to these teams before the playoffs, and this is a great opportunity.

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2009, 05:20:31 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I'm just curious. Looking at other suspensions around the league, to include the suspension of KG earlier in the year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ray get a one game suspension for the elbow to Sideshow Bob's "groin area."

Let me start this next rant with the following warning: I bleed green unabashedly. Thus, the following rationale for Rays elbow will hold little water with the NBA front office or Cavs fans, but justifies his action in my mind. I think NBA culture has the precedent that you don't let someone throw you down and then stand over you. It is sort of like being a pitcher in baseball. You have to throw at a guy after the opposing pitcher hits one of your guys. It is the culture. It is the way self-policing takes place in an environment that is ultracompetitive and testosterone driven. I'm not saying it is right, just the way it is. With that said (green-tinted glasses alert), I also don't think Ray intentionally meant to elbow him in the sensitive area. I think he was flinging his arm back in a "get off of me" type of fashion and just caught him with the elbow. Fortunately for Sideshow, he was born the human equivalent of a Ken Doll. Thus, he didn't flinch with a blow that would have had most of us in the fetal position, sucking our thumbs, and crying for Mommy. There, I said it. Hopefully, Ray's character will factor into any decision made by the league office, but I won't be surprised if he isn't in the building for one of these last two games.

Just curious if you lent your green-tinted glasses to Marc Jackson yesterday as he seemed to agree with you that Ray's action was simply worth of the (double) technical foul he received. I totally agree with you though in that Ray felt Sideshow standing over him and meant to throw the elbow but not in such a sensitive (for most of us anyways) region.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2009, 06:11:04 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I don't know, but I think he should. Surely not Ray's finest moment.

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Side show bob has a history of cheap plays just legal enough or subtle enough that they don't get called. Undercuts and pushes in the back are the norm for him. He was hoping for a reaction from Ray. Luckily the refs saw what he was trying to do got the call correct. Suspend them both for a game.

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm just curious. Looking at other suspensions around the league, to include the suspension of KG earlier in the year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ray get a one game suspension for the elbow to Sideshow Bob's "groin area."

Let me start this next rant with the following warning: I bleed green unabashedly. Thus, the following rationale for Rays elbow will hold little water with the NBA front office or Cavs fans, but justifies his action in my mind. I think NBA culture has the precedent that you don't let someone throw you down and then stand over you. It is sort of like being a pitcher in baseball. You have to throw at a guy after the opposing pitcher hits one of your guys. It is the culture. It is the way self-policing takes place in an environment that is ultracompetitive and testosterone driven. I'm not saying it is right, just the way it is. With that said (green-tinted glasses alert), I also don't think Ray intentionally meant to elbow him in the sensitive area. I think he was flinging his arm back in a "get off of me" type of fashion and just caught him with the elbow. Fortunately for Sideshow, he was born the human equivalent of a Ken Doll. Thus, he didn't flinch with a blow that would have had most of us in the fetal position, sucking our thumbs, and crying for Mommy. There, I said it. Hopefully, Ray's character will factor into any decision made by the league office, but I won't be surprised if he isn't in the building for one of these last two games.

Just curious if you lent your green-tinted glasses to Marc Jackson yesterday as he seemed to agree with you that Ray's action was simply worth of the (double) technical foul he received. I totally agree with you though in that Ray felt Sideshow standing over him and meant to throw the elbow but not in such a sensitive (for most of us anyways) region.

Momma, there goes that man with my geen-tinted glasses again.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
sumbody standing over me with they bizness in my face even after the whistle would get the same thing.that was very disrespectful to stand over ray like he was a urinal...

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i hate sideshow bob....i think he is a flopper, a phony, and an overall chick.

however, ray was obviously frustrated...about the play, how the game was going, and he lost his cool.

in the end, who really cares?!?!  if ray gets a game suspension, its no big deal.  i think it would be bs if he does, as i think the nba is inconsistent and has turned the league into a bunch of flopping, whining, and girly ball at times. if he does end up getting suspended, i wish ray had just drilled him in the face and earn a real suspension  ;)

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2009, 06:33:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
sumbody standing over me with they bizness in my face even after the whistle would get the same thing.that was very disrespectful to stand over ray like he was a urinal...

TP...so nice to have u back bass, lol