Author Topic: Anyone think Ray will get suspended?  (Read 15019 times)

Re: Anyone think Ray will get suspended?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 01:39:07 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16

Locking a guy's arm like that is a quick way to f**k up his elbow and or shoulder.  I've personally had that happen to me.  What Ray did ultimately was harmless.

Oh, please. Guys lock up like that going for rebounds and boxing out all the time.

This was no worse than Rajon Rondo trying to wrap up LeBron on his fastbreak when he got fouled by two guys and still made the shot.

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
While I don't think Varejao's clamping his arm onto Ray's hand and twirling him around necessitated an elbow, the following events surely did. After Ray fell, why did Varejao stand over him? Why did Varejao continue to follow Ray around with his hands up? Ray may have exaggerated the fall, but is there a reason for Varejao to act like a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?

Besides, the reason Varejao didn't react to the elbow was because play had already stopped and he knew he didn't have to sell another foul. If the incident occurred during play, Varejao's reaction would have been similar to what happened when Big Baby hit him with the flagrant in Boston - act hurt and pop up fine after 3 seconds.

The reason for him acting like a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. is because he IS a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. That one's easy. He DID however get a dirty elbow thrown at his twig and berries, and if someone had done that to me I would have been swinging. There was no call for that at all by Ray who is usually a level headed fellow. He was also the only one visibly upset (other than Perk who always looks visibly upset) at the beat down we were receiving so I cut him a little slack.

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 01:40:38 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
After Ray fell, why did Varejao stand over him? Why did Varejao continue to follow Ray around with his hands up? Ray may have exaggerated the fall, but is there a reason for Varejao to act like a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?

Because he got elbowed in the balls on a cheap shot.  He had every reason to stand there and stare Ray down in the face. It was a cheap, unprofessional move.

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
Which part is exaggerating?  I'll spot you that the hit to the face may have been from the arm and not the elbow directly (and not necessarily intentional, though I never said it was), and that the throw can be clarified to "deliberately pulling him across his (AV's) leg to take him to the floor".  But I just watched it on frame-by-frame again and, other than the initial hit possibly not being an elbow, that chain of events is exactly what I saw.  

So the "elbow to the face" wasn't intentional...
The "throw" was really a "pull"...

You just explained yourself where you exaggerated the play.

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
After Ray fell, why did Varejao stand over him? Why did Varejao continue to follow Ray around with his hands up? Ray may have exaggerated the fall, but is there a reason for Varejao to act like a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?

Because he got elbowed in the balls on a cheap shot.  He had every reason to stand there and stare Ray down in the face. It was a cheap, unprofessional move.

not what hes talking about, watch the video.

the onyl reason ray, from his knees, is able to hit andy is because andy is standing over him. Ray doesn't have elastic elbows, the play was over, why was andy still standing over ray in elbow range 5-10 seconds later when ray picked himself up to his knees and tossed that elbow backwards?

answer: because he was being a punk ass after a scuffle under the basket and standing over ray.

None of this justifies ray's reaction of course. (although, i don't personally think it needs a justification. The fact this is a big deal, for either player, is another sign of the pussification of the NBA under stern, ive seen more heated play in pickup games.)

But to act like side show was an innocent bystander? please.

he tossed him to the ground and was gloating like a moron, its why he was ready to block that elbow, he expected ray to go after him.  they were both cheap shots, it happens in heated games.

no big deal for me on either player.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 01:50:11 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7

Locking a guy's arm like that is a quick way to f**k up his elbow and or shoulder.  I've personally had that happen to me.  What Ray did ultimately was harmless.

Oh, please. Guys lock up like that going for rebounds and boxing out all the time.

This was no worse than Rajon Rondo trying to wrap up LeBron on his fastbreak when he got fouled by two guys and still made the shot.

I couldn't agree more.

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Varejao was already standing over him after the throwdown and before the nutshot.  That's why his groin was in striking distance.
Which part is exaggerating?  I'll spot you that the hit to the face may have been from the arm and not the elbow directly (and not necessarily intentional, though I never said it was), and that the throw can be clarified to "deliberately pulling him across his (AV's) leg to take him to the floor".  But I just watched it on frame-by-frame again and, other than the initial hit possibly not being an elbow, that chain of events is exactly what I saw.  

So the "elbow to the face" wasn't intentional...
The "throw" was really a "pull"...

You just explained yourself where you exaggerated the play.

Please point out to me where in either post I said the hit to the face was definitely intentional (or unintentional).  I'll give you a hint - it isn't there.  Pulling someone over your leg like that is classified as a "throw" in several martial arts - all I did was clarify what I meant by the word to distinguish it from actually picking a guy up off the ground.  Try again.

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
not what hes talking about, watch the video.

the onyl reason ray, from his knees, is able to hit andy is because andy is standing over him. Ray doesn't have elastic elbows, the play was over, why was andy still standing over ray in elbow range 5-10 seconds later when ray picked himself up to his knees and tossed that elbow backwards?

answer: because he was being a punk ass after a scuffle under the basket and standing over ray.

None of this justifies ray's reaction of course. (although, i don't personally think it needs a justification. The fact this is a big deal, for either player, is another sign of the pussification of the NBA under stern, ive seen more heated play in pickup games.)

But to act like side show was an innocent bystander? please.

he tossed him to the ground and was gloating like a moron, its why he was ready to block that elbow, he expected ray to go after him.  

He was standing there to show the ref that it wasn't intentional.  It was not 5-10 seconds as you suggest. Was he supposed to turn around and run down the court? If he did that, everyone here would be calling Andy a p*ssy.

How is standing there gloating? He didn't jaw at him, he didn't step over him. He stood in the same position and Ray reacted poorly.

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »

Offline bleedinggreen34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

Yeah, they do, and they get hit in the nuts for it.

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Tell me something, mark:
If someone tries to elbow you in the
face twice, you just walk away?
This was Easter Sunday and all, but Ray
was only Jesus in that flick.

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 01:57:47 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens

Please point out to me where in either post I said the hit to the face was definitely intentional (or unintentional).  I'll give you a hint - it isn't there.  Pulling someone over your leg like that is classified as a "throw" in several martial arts - all I did was clarify what I meant by the word to distinguish it from actually picking a guy up off the ground.  Try again.

You don't need to explicitly state something - it is implied.

It's not a throw, it's not a toss. They locked arms and Ray fell down.

Try again.  ::)

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens

Tell me something, mark:

Um, what are you talking about? There was no elbow to the face...

Remove the glasses, step back, and watch the video again.

It was a stupid play that should have been over when Ray went to the ground.  Ray escalated the situation by responding like a chump.

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 02:00:34 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

You make it sound like guys are locking their arms into others and flinging opponents to the hardwood on every play which is ridiculous and you know it.

While Ray certainly didn't act reprehensible on that play, to decry his elbow as cheap and unprofessional while ignoring the equally blameworthy actions by Varejao is ludicrous when the evidence clearly shows him clamping down on Ray's arm and pulling him down.

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Tell me something, mark:

Um, what are you talking about? There was no elbow to the face...

Remove the glasses, step back, and watch the video again.

It was a stupid play that should have been over when Ray went to the ground.  Ray escalated the situation by responding like a chump.

Save the "chump" stuff for your boy AV.
There's a reson you never saw Ray this
mad before.
I'll say it again: If someone TRIES to
elbow you, you just back down? Yeah, he
could be just trying but the intent to
hurt is there. YOU watch it again...

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I've personally had my shoulder separated by a play similar to this before. It was a dirty play by Varejao. Dirty reaction by Ray, too, but I feel as if it could've been a heat of the moment reaction.