Author Topic: Anyone think Ray will get suspended?  (Read 15032 times)

Re: Anyone think Ray will get suspended?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think he'll get suspended, but I don't think it will really hurt us.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
He may...he may not.  Botton line is Sideshow locked his elbow up and slung him down and then stood over him like the bag he is.  When Ray felt him on top of him, he did what he did.  If that's a suspension at this meaningless time, so be it. 

I just hope everyone gets to play all together soon...healthy.

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 11:42:50 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Maybe. Elbows are usually automatic ejection. Too bad they didn't toss him last night since the game was over anyway.

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't know if he'll get suspended (it'll be meaningless reg. season games if he does), but I was thrilled to see Varejao get cockbowed on national TV, especially after throwing Ray down (note on the replay he didn't just lock elbows, he hit him in the face with an elbow, locked him up, threw Ray over his leg, then stood over him.  Cockbow worthy?  Yes indeed)

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
I don't know if he'll get suspended (it'll be meaningless reg. season games if he does), but I was thrilled to see Varejao get cockbowed on national TV, especially after throwing Ray down (note on the replay he didn't just lock elbows, he hit him in the face with an elbow, locked him up, threw Ray over his leg, then stood over him.  Cockbow worthy?  Yes indeed)

Worst over-exaggeration of a play ever? Congrats - you just won the award by a landslide.

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 12:42:30 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Worst over-exaggeration of a play ever? Congrats - you just won the award by a landslide.

agree, although the thesis is correct, Andy does deserve a cockbow everyone in awhile.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 12:50:52 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Side Show Bob's block with the knees reminded me of the following clip in "Something about Mary" when the dog blocks the eye poke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVSVIaYLe4M

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 12:52:21 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
agree, although the thesis is correct, Andy does deserve a cockbow everyone in awhile.

He's a guy who if he's on your team, you absolutely love his hustle, intensity, and relentless pestering of other players.  But if he's not on your team, you want to run him over with a snow plow.

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »

Offline bleedinggreen34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Anyone who has been on a basketball court for more than a couple of minutes should have no problem with what Ray did to Varaejo.  Varaejo's maneuver was far more dangerous than Ray's, he could've done some serious damage.  Honestly, I give Ray a Tommy Point for quick thinking and a good retaliation.

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
Far more dangerous? The guys tangled up and Ray fell to the court. Andy didn't hip check him and slam him down like some of you are implying. He didn't stand over him, he didn't push him afterwards. It was a stupid tussle under the hoop that wasn't a big deal, until Ray pulled a bush league move.

Bottom line is Ray should not have thrown an elbow.  He admitted in the postgame that he let his temper and frustration from the game get the better of him. It was a stupid reaction, and he's going to probably get a fine for it.

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 01:20:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Far more dangerous? The guys tangled up and Ray fell to the court. Andy didn't hip check him and slam him down like some of you are implying.

to be fair, I think arm dragging someone to the ground from there feet (which is what andy did) is slightly more dangerous than a nut shot.

Ive been nut shotted plenty of times, both intentialy and unintentianaly, and ive never been injured beyond pride and 5 minutes of having a squeaky voice.

One would think being thrown to a hardwood floor by the arm would have the potential for more dire injuries, however low, than a swift hit to the jimmies.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 01:33:24 PM »

Offline bleedinggreen34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Far more dangerous? The guys tangled up and Ray fell to the court. Andy didn't hip check him and slam him down like some of you are implying. He didn't stand over him, he didn't push him afterwards. It was a stupid tussle under the hoop that wasn't a big deal, until Ray pulled a bush league move.

Locking a guy's arm like that is a quick way to f**k up his elbow and or shoulder.  I've personally had that happen to me.  What Ray did ultimately was harmless.

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens

to be fair, I think arm dragging someone to the ground from there feet (which is what andy did) is slightly more dangerous than a nut shot.

Ive been nut shotted plenty of times, both intentialy and unintentianaly, and ive never been injured beyond pride and 5 minutes of having a squeaky voice.

One would think being thrown to a hardwood floor by the arm would have the potential for more dire injuries, however low, than a swift hit to the jimmies.

I'm not arguing that it was slightly more dangerous, but to say "far more dangerous" is a terrible exaggeration and overstatement of the play.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 01:36:46 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
While I don't think Varejao's clamping his arm onto Ray's hand and twirling him around necessitated an elbow, the following events surely did. After Ray fell, why did Varejao stand over him? Why did Varejao continue to follow Ray around with his hands up? Ray may have exaggerated the fall, but is there a reason for Varejao to act like a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?

Besides, the reason Varejao didn't react to the elbow was because play had already stopped and he knew he didn't have to sell another foul. If the incident occurred during play, Varejao's reaction would have been similar to what happened when Big Baby hit him with the flagrant in Boston - act hurt and pop up fine after 3 seconds.

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Which part is exaggerating?  I'll spot you that the hit to the face may have been from the arm and not the elbow directly (and not necessarily intentional, though I never said it was), and that the throw can be clarified to "deliberately pulling him across his (AV's) leg to take him to the floor".  But I just watched it on frame-by-frame again and, other than the initial hit possibly not being an elbow, that chain of events is exactly what I saw.