Author Topic: Anyone think Ray will get suspended?  (Read 15022 times)

Anyone think Ray will get suspended?
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:51:52 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm just curious. Looking at other suspensions around the league, to include the suspension of KG earlier in the year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ray get a one game suspension for the elbow to Sideshow Bob's "groin area."

Let me start this next rant with the following warning: I bleed green unabashedly. Thus, the following rationale for Rays elbow will hold little water with the NBA front office or Cavs fans, but justifies his action in my mind. I think NBA culture has the precedent that you don't let someone throw you down and then stand over you. It is sort of like being a pitcher in baseball. You have to throw at a guy after the opposing pitcher hits one of your guys. It is the culture. It is the way self-policing takes place in an environment that is ultracompetitive and testosterone driven. I'm not saying it is right, just the way it is. With that said (green-tinted glasses alert), I also don't think Ray intentionally meant to elbow him in the sensitive area. I think he was flinging his arm back in a "get off of me" type of fashion and just caught him with the elbow. Fortunately for Sideshow, he was born the human equivalent of a Ken Doll. Thus, he didn't flinch with a blow that would have had most of us in the fetal position, sucking our thumbs, and crying for Mommy. There, I said it. Hopefully, Ray's character will factor into any decision made by the league office, but I won't be surprised if he isn't in the building for one of these last two games.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

Re: Anyone think Ray will get suspended?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:02:13 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Nah, I doubt he gets suspended.  Just retaliating to Andy pushing him down to the ground.  The whole episode wasn't much of deal at all.  I would be surprised if Ray gets suspended

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:02:40 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yes, I think he deserves a game off.  Now, I don't blame anyone for trying to see if Sideshow Bob actually has anything down there to hit, but it was crossing the line.  Especially considering the next two games are meaningless, I would shocked if he isn't suspended for one of them.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
You think he was aiming there?  I think he just swung backwards and got lucky

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
i thinnk anyone who makes a big deal out of this should just stop watching sports altogether.

no, he should not get suspended, but who even cares if he does at this point
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:15:44 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I honestly couldn't tell.  My eyes tell me he swung, while my instincts say that Ray Allen is too classy to lower himself to that level.  Either way, I think the league will take the opportunity to suspend him, since the games are meaningless anyways, so they can try to send a message.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:33:24 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

im nto even sure he got lucky, i mean, joking about toughness aside, AV made no reaction and that was a pretty hard elbow if he caught it where ti looked like he did.

thus, I dont think he took it in the johnson, otherwise the reaction would have been like he got elbowed there (unless he has a incredible pain tolerance). i think he took it in the thigh somewhere.

that aside, i wouldn't be surprised to see a game off for ray and a fine for andy ( he did throw him) or no suspension and fines for both.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
I wouldn't mind. He looks like he could use a day off after yesterday. I think they should suspend Pierce and Rondo as well.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:40:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

im nto even sure he got lucky, i mean, joking about toughness aside, AV made no reaction and that was a pretty hard elbow if he caught it where ti looked like he did.

thus, I dont think he took it in the johnson, otherwise the reaction would have been like he got elbowed there (unless he has a incredible pain tolerance). i think he took it in the thigh somewhere.

that aside, i wouldn't be surprised to see a game off for ray and a fine for andy ( he did throw him) or no suspension and fines for both.

Well, it looked like sideshow Bob saw it coming, and caught Ray's arm between his knees before it hit its target.  Perhaps that is a common tactic in Europe, and he was ready for it?

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »

Offline TruthSerum

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Tommy called Hairguy "a thug." Whatever he was doing to Ray was unnecessary and Ray didn't like it.  Ray won't forget it either.

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I wouldn't mind. He looks like he could use a day off after yesterday. I think they should suspend Pierce and Rondo as well.

Exactly, suspend and fine the entire team for putting on that epic trash of a performance on another holiday..hehe
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 10:55:38 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Ray's reputation may help him to avoid a suspension, that and the fact that Varejao iniated the contacts. Anyway I'd be glad to see him get a suspension since it'd allow him to rest for the next game. :)

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 11:02:08 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
nope....this was nothing compared to the days of the bad boys in detroit....

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Is there a video of the incident? I missed it.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
....i think ray was trying to get bob to move out of his space and caught her in the crotch