Author Topic: Are the media underestimating the Celtics again?  (Read 4789 times)

Re: Are the media underestimating the Celtics again?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 01:12:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Based on one article I found this morning:

Summary:

The Celtics are starting to show their age in a hurry.

- Allen, at 33 years of age, is old for a shooting guard.

- Garnett has missed over 30 games this season with an assortment of injuries, and seems to be nearing the end of his Hall of Fame career.

- Pierce is 32 years old and having an outstanding season, but he appears to be slightly out of shape … something that does not bode well for a player that relies on his quickness.

- The Magic are the second-best team in the East and, possibly, the second-best team in the NBA.

www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/04/13/sports/doc49e2c559aac77043974113.txt

Well that is outright wrong.  While it is correct about Allen, Garnett has not missed games due to an "assortment of injuries", it has been one injury that hasn't healed.  Also, Pierce is no where close to out of shape (I feel like this guy has just never seen Pierce before, and doesn't know that he just is not a "cut" guy), and he has NEVER relied on quickness, he has always relied on his shooting, his strength, and creativity with the ball.  Yes, he has a quick first step, but that has not gone anywhere.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 01:15:58 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

Summary:

- Garnett has missed over 30 games this season with an assortment of injuries, and seems to be nearing the end of his Hall of Fame career.

- Pierce is 32 years old and having an outstanding season, but he appears to be slightly out of shape … something that does not bode well for a player that relies on his quickness.

- The Magic are the second-best team in the East and, possibly, the second-best team in the NBA.

Well that is outright wrong.  While it is correct about Allen, Garnett has not missed games due to an "assortment of injuries", it has been one injury that hasn't healed.  Also, Pierce is no where close to out of shape (I feel like this guy has just never seen Pierce before, and doesn't know that he just is not a "cut" guy), and he has NEVER relied on quickness, he has always relied on his shooting, his strength, and creativity with the ball.  Yes, he has a quick first step, but that has not gone anywhere.

I'm with you Chris,this guy just doesn't get it. The C's have won 60 games this season... what an obnoxious article by a hack.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I want to see as many of these articles as possible - it motivates the team and gives us something to laugh about when it's all said and done.

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
And another perspective from the fine folks at Deadspin:

"If the NBA were a horrible Michael Bay movie, this is the part where the bad guy would mutter "I fear we've awakened a sleeping giant." Then a Boston Celtics flag would flutter in slow-motion."

http://deadspin.com/5209846/the-cavaliers-seem-pretty-happy-with-themselves-right-now

Good to see not everyone thinks prancing and preening in a meaningless game against the defending champs is a smart idea.

EDIT: Another good quote:

"When the Cavs reserves pushed the lead to 30, James, Mo Williams and Delonte West boogied together during a timeout as Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" pumped through the arena. The trio wasn't shy about things as they mugged for TV cameras to the roaring crowd's delight.

At the other end of the floor, the Celtics sat stoically while watching the Cavs clown around.

"I'm always going to remember that," Ray Allen said. "If I beat a team, as happy as I may be in victory, I'm always going to stay humble and always remember that there's another day. We play each other too much. Those are great motivational thoughts for me."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:04:36 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 03:01:58 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

Summary:

I'm with you Chris,this guy just doesn't get it. The C's have won 60 games this season... what an obnoxious article by a hack.

Paul Pierce and quickness in the same sentence? This dude has obviously never watched a Celtics game in his entire life. At best, Pierce has average speed. He gains separation and creates scoring opportunities not with speed, but with excellent footwork and a pretty high basketball IQ.

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 03:36:37 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
EDIT: Another good quote:

"When the Cavs reserves pushed the lead to 30, James, Mo Williams and Delonte West boogied together during a timeout as Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" pumped through the arena. The trio wasn't shy about things as they mugged for TV cameras to the roaring crowd's delight.

At the other end of the floor, the Celtics sat stoically while watching the Cavs clown around.

"I'm always going to remember that," Ray Allen said. "If I beat a team, as happy as I may be in victory, I'm always going to stay humble and always remember that there's another day. We play each other too much. Those are great motivational thoughts for me."

Great quote, TP for bringing it there! I can't wait to see the Celtics' response to the Cavaliers after this game, I think, considering the team's state of mind and Ray's quote, that it's fair to assume that "payback is gonna be a b***". ;D

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Really dont care. Print more of it. The C's will just wallpaper their lockerroom with it before every playoff game. Isnt a motivated hungry celtics team what we want to see?

TP! Let them keep saying the C's can't repeat just cause of Sunday.

It's like when the Magic killed the Cavs by 29 points in Orlando. They had it together and were ready to steal that #2 seed from the Celtics, right? Well, what are they since? 2-3, including a loss to the Knicks at home, and a loss to the Nets in New Jersey, and with these losses they handed the Celtics the #2 seed on a golden plate with shrimp and tartar sauce (or something like that) on the edges.

It's the first time the Celtics have lost by that much in a while, and I'm sure they plan on not letting something like that happen again so easily, especially in the playoffs.

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 04:58:19 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

For those who have never seen it check out Scal A Breenie.

On youtube talking trash to the media. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Just search Brian Scalabrine Talks Trash.    On youtube.

Watch his face when he says you guys are suppose to be NBA experts, and you picked the Lakers to win??? It's not like you have not seen us play on TV where on all the Time.

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve

For those who have never seen it check out Scal A Breenie.

On youtube talking trash to the media. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Just search Brian Scalabrine Talks Trash.    On youtube.

Watch his face when he says you guys are suppose to be NBA experts, and you picked the Lakers to win??? It's not like you have not seen us play on TV where on all the Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UUBC8NoQgA

;D Best video ever.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Who cares about the press? They don't play, they can't help you to win or lose games. Yeah, they're reactionary - just like they were over-praising the C's when they were 27-2; they're now over-bashing them a bit. That's their nature. Fortunately, they're not as reactionary and emotional as most fans here.