Author Topic: Are the media underestimating the Celtics again?  (Read 4771 times)

Are the media underestimating the Celtics again?
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:42:22 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Last year, they were underrating the Celtics and all picked the Lakers to win the Finals in 6 games. This year, they've consistently criticized the Celtics' weaknesses. What is worse is that when Cleveland got destroyed by the Magic they did all their best to "spare" the Cavaliers, by saying how good the Magic was, that it was a back to back, etc.

And then, our team got destroyed yesterday and it wasn't pretty. But it was just a game. And by reading the "ESPN Daily Dime" we are made to believe that the C's' era is over and that they will get torched in the playoffs.

Excerpts from the article by Chris Sheridan :

"And then we have the Celtics, whose little issues have grown into big ones as the months have passed. Weren't some asking if they had peaked too early when they went into their Christmas game against the Lakers with a 27-2 record? Turns out that was a pretty legit question at the time."

"And what about that sore knee of Garnett's, the one he hurt right after the All-Star break to begin what has now become a nine-week-long pain that shows no sign of fully healing. Anyone who was wondering back in late February whether that injury would be a lingering concern, well, let's just say you have your answer."

"Then there are the tangential questions, like how the Celtics' mojo is doing, how their chemistry is evolving, how their bench matches up against Cleveland's -- they're all important, too, and there was nothing Sunday to indicate anything other than the notion that the Celtics are in a fade, the Cavs are continuing to rise, and prospects of Cleveland having an undefeated run through the conference portion of the playoffs (the Lakers were the last to do it, in 2000-01) is not all that far-fetched. "

"And the Cavs? Boston can forget about them for now, leaving them to be reason for concern sometime around Memorial Day Weekend -- if the Celtics can stay alive that long.

After seeing them Sunday, that is far from a sure thing.
"

"First, though, they have to stop looking like the fat and happy champs they seem to have become, and start looking more and more like the hungry, happy fellows in wine and gold who are showing all the signs that it will be them -- not the Celtics -- who will set the standard of excellence by the time the Eastern playoffs are finished.

No question about that. Not after seeing Boston massacred like this.
"

I was shocked to see the media's picks last year for the Finals but I'm truly disgusted by this biased articles. The Cavs get destroyed in Orlando, that's not something to be scared of, they were on a back to back, they lacked motivation. The C's get destroyed in Cleveland, gosh, they are done, they are not even getting past the first round and they are too lazy...

How biased is that? The media tend to forget that Cleveland wasn't able to win in Boston this season, that the series is tied 2-2 and he clearly underestimates KG's impact once he returns.

Re: Are the media underestimating the Celtics again?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:50:30 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Yes, theyre to hard on the celtics, and obnoxious about it

we dominated the league last season, 66-16, better then the lakers this year and right there with the cavs, yet most people actually picked the pistons, the 2nd seed in the east who had lost in the ECF something like 4 years in a row, they then all picked the lakers in the finals, and havent learned this season

We're fat, lazy champs? yet they'll sing the praises of the magic anytime they get the chance...wait...wait a minute the celtics have a better record then the magic and  have been the 3rd best team in the regular season this year? wow coulda fooled me, I was starting to think we were the clippers with the way these people talk about us

Obviously the celtics would have to go undefeated, and even then wouldnt be favored
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:48:00 AM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:05:02 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If you're truly concerned about what the media thinks, then maybe you should be concerned about this team showing up for key games against rivals.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:12:32 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
If you're truly concerned about what the media thinks, then maybe you should be concerned about this team showing up for key games against rivals.

Should I be concerned by the Celtics' win against Cleveland in Boston, without KG, when the 1st seed was still within reach? That was a "key game against a rival" and the C's just showed up. Yesterday's embarrassing loss in Cleveland when nothing was at stake, except a "statement" game, was not a key game. Sure I'd be glad if the C's had win it and showed up for the occasion but this game was definitely not crucial (though not "meaningless").

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:16:43 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

What exactly was 'key' about this game other then it against the Cavs. I guess it gives Cavs a false sense of security.  Celtics didn't really show up for the game, which is embarrassing but it does not prove to me Cavs are going to beat Celtics in a playoff series. Do you think Cleveland thinks Orlando could wax them in the plyoffs after they lost by 40 to them? I doubt it.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Of course the league is underestimating us--again. The media, and the league too for that matter, needs "media darlings" and the single biggest one is Lebron closely followed by Kobe. So we got wooped today, anytime two very good teams play that can happen. If we are healthy for the playoffs we will win the title again. I am still not convinced we will be healhy but if we are we still have the most complete team out there.

The Cavs are good there is no doubt about that. I still say Lebron goes down as one of the 5 best players ever and possibly higher then that but if our team is hitting there shots the whole game opens up. I am not trying to take anything away from the Cavs D but we were awful on offese yesterday.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:16:06 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

coach doesnt think champs lose big games like that by big numbers to rivals

didnt the cavs just get thumped in orlando even worse then we were thumped last night? I guess they arent a championship team either huh coach?
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:45:34 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Are you calling a game that was completely meaningless as far as the playoffs a "Key" game?

Yeah, it would have been nice to see the C's send a message, but I really don't read much into them not showing up for a game the day after clinching the second seed.

This team has been cruising like that Duncan Spurs, and Shaq Lakers all season long.  They have taken several games completely off.  We won't know anything about this team until we see if they have the ability those teams had of turning it on once the playoffs start.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Honestly, the more alarming game out of the last two should be this one:

The Cavs got absolutely whooped by the Celtics without KG in Boston. Also, they couldn't even slow down a Paul Pierce who had tears in his eyes from the banner raising ceremony.

We'll be just fine.

I like when the media doubts the C's. The guys took it personally when everyone was saying Detroit would win and then beat down the Lakers just as bad.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »

Offline Celtics1990

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 49
Yes, theyre to hard on the celtics, and obnoxious about it

we dominated the league last season, 66-16, better then the lakers this year and right there with the cavs, yet most people actually picked the pistons, the 2nd seed in the east who had lost in the ECF something like 4 years in a row, they then all picked the lakers in the finals, and havent learned this season

We're fat, lazy champs? yet they'll sing the praises of the magic anytime they get the chance...wait...wait a minute the celtics have a better record then the magic and  have been the 3rd best team in the regular season this year? wow coulda fooled me, I was starting to think we were the clippers with the way these people talk about us

Obviously the celtics would have to go undefeated, and even then wouldnt be favored
So true.  We could beat every team by 1,000 points and still be picked to lose.  It really gets under my skin when the media takes shots at the Celtics and act like last year never happened. 

I understand last year is last year, but you are the defending champs until somebody else wins.  To my knowledge that has not happened yet.
UBUNTU

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 11:58:13 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Thanks for posting the quotes from Sheridan. I was about to do the same.  It really is ridiculous the way the media portrays this team.  The fat and lazy champions?  This team has won 60 GAMES!!!  Without KG!!!  We were coming off about a 5 or 6 game winning streak.  Does that really sound like fat and lazy team?  The Cavs have just as much trouble winning in Boston as we do winning in Cleveland. 

So we laid a dud in cleveland.  Big deal.  This has happened to eventual champions throughout the league's history.  The 1996 Chicago Bulls got blown out by 32 by New York.  I don't think this was a sign of a fat and lazy team.  I'm not saying that Boston will definitively beat Cleveland in the Playoffs, but it will be a good series and my money is on the C's.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 12:10:18 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Really dont care. Print more of it. The C's will just wallpaper their lockerroom with it before every playoff game. Isnt a motivated hungry celtics team what we want to see?

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
just play the clip of Mo Williams and the rest of the Cavs bench over-reacting to Joe Smith's dunk.  Play it on loop over and over again.  The Celtics thrive when they are counted out and expected to lose.  When they are favorites (Atlanta Series, Cavs series last year) they struggle to squeak by.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Based on one article I found this morning:

Summary:

The Celtics are starting to show their age in a hurry.

- Allen, at 33 years of age, is old for a shooting guard.

- Garnett has missed over 30 games this season with an assortment of injuries, and seems to be nearing the end of his Hall of Fame career.

- Pierce is 32 years old and having an outstanding season, but he appears to be slightly out of shape … something that does not bode well for a player that relies on his quickness.

- The Magic are the second-best team in the East and, possibly, the second-best team in the NBA.

www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/04/13/sports/doc49e2c559aac77043974113.txt
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The media is under-estimating the Celtics some and they definitely are going to overreact to the "game" Sunday but I caution all of CelticsBlog Nation (or whatever it is called now) not to under-estimate the Cavs.  Last year we barely beat them and they had made a big trade right at the end of the season.  This year, their core has been together, they added Mo Williams, and by and large, they are healthy.

We lost Posey and PJ but added Marbury and Moore plus have BBD playing much better so our personnel is more or less equal to last year I think plus we may have a gimpy Garnett.

I am sure that come playoff time that the Celtics will "show-up" and it may just be a series of the ages.  I think the primary Cav's weakness is that they have only one really big gun and even LeBron isn't going to be unstoppable every game.  I am not going to offer a prediction because I am worried that come the ECF, that KG's knee could be worn down making us vulnerable.  Even if KG is KG, we still need to be every bit of the 27-2 Celtics to beat the Cavs.