Author Topic: AP:KG, Powe wouldn't have made a difference today?, ABC Crew is awful!  (Read 4161 times)

Re: AP:KG, Powe wouldn't have made a difference today?, ABC Crew is awful!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is silly. Its one thing to say they might not have made enough of a difference to cause the Celtics to win. I'd agree with that. But they would have made a difference. Even a healthy Scal would have given us 33% more depth up front and kept Minnie on the pine and allowed Baby and Perk to bang a little more.

The Cavs clog the middle and are quick to the jump shooter. KG spreads the floor a little more than Baby and we alos wouldn't have been our rebounded by 14 in the first 20 minutes of play.

Probably.

But I think the point is that the C's got blown out not because they didn't have the horses, they got blown out because they played like it was a preseason game, and they were coming off a 3 night bender, while the Cavs were playing with a purpose. 

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
This is silly. Its one thing to say they might not have made enough of a difference to cause the Celtics to win. I'd agree with that. But they would have made a difference. Even a healthy Scal would have given us 33% more depth up front and kept Minnie on the pine and allowed Baby and Perk to bang a little more.

The Cavs clog the middle and are quick to the jump shooter. KG spreads the floor a little more than Baby and we alos wouldn't have been our rebounded by 14 in the first 20 minutes of play.

Probably.

Ah yes, but youre forgetting the times we've played in cleveland completly healthy and got blown out.
Game 3 in the playoffs last season.. 108-84
Game 6 when we mustered only a pathetic 69 points
Or even earlier this season when we got tottally punked and lost by 15, KG was awful

enough excuses, neither of them, and especially brian **** scalabrine would not have made a bit of difference yesterday, the point is moot anyways, they arent healthy, thats a part of the game, suck it up
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 10:41:33 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Probably.

Ah yes, but youre forgetting the times we've played in cleveland completly healthy and got blown out.
Game 3 in the playoffs last season.. 108-84
Game 6 when we mustered only a pathetic 69 points
Or even earlier this season when we got tottally punked and lost by 15, KG was awful

enough excuses, neither of them, and especially brian **** scalabrine would not have made a bit of difference yesterday, the point is moot anyways, they arent healthy, thats a part of the game, suck it up

I just don't see why it is even being talked about.  There are too many variables, which may not be there in the playoffs to draw much of anything from yesterdays game. 

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:55 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
because cleveland has not won at boston, LA or at orlando

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The 14-0 run was essentially meaningless. that will happen when you are up by 30. You lose your intensity. But when the 3rd quarter came, the Cavs were focused once again.

As defending champs, there is no reason for us to feel slighted or defensive. There have been tons of national Celtics commercials and articles. But Cleveland has been more dominant this year, like we were last year. They deserve their press. Lebron deserves his press.

If we knock them out of the playoffs, then they will be banished to the ranks of biggest disappointments like the Patriots from 2 years ago and we will be the cover-boys once again.

If I am a fan in a neutral city, I would be much more interested in articles about Lebron and Clev at this point due to Lebron's dominance and the Celtics having peaked. Much like people's disinterest in San Antonio (though we seem to get more media coverage than SA did during their run).

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I like Jackson, Van Gundy, and Breen pretty well as an announcing crew actually, but their problem is the same as everyone else's on TV: They follow the "conventional wisdom" which is often woefully behind reality because the people who create it (mainstream journalists) spend more time reading, writing and talking about sports than actually watching the games.  That's why most mainstream commentators gushed about the Jason Kidd trade last year, whereas most serious fans knew it was a bad deal - the commentators were reacting to the Jason Kidd of 2-3 years prior, which is where the conventional wisdom was stuck, but serious fans knew he had declined.

But just to contribute, did anyone catch it in the first half when they were discussing (of course) LeBron's improved defense, and Breen said, "Pierce made significant strides on his defense in the playoffs last year...of course, LeBron's been doing that all season."  My jaw literally dropped.  Just because the mainstream sports media didn't notice, suddenly Pierce wasn't particularly good on D last regular season!  Ridiculous.

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 03:24:15 PM »

Offline WaltonsIllegitimateSon

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
But just to contribute, did anyone catch it in the first half when they were discussing (of course) LeBron's improved defense, and Breen said, "Pierce made significant strides on his defense in the playoffs last year...of course, LeBron's been doing that all season."  My jaw literally dropped.  Just because the mainstream sports media didn't notice, suddenly Pierce wasn't particularly good on D last regular season!  Ridiculous.

I agree, I thought that was horrible (did they WATCH any regular season games last year??), and I was also struck by Breen saying that the Celtics' 40-1 record came in 1984-85, which of course, was NOT the year for the Cs.  No real fan would make that mistake.  (Breen attempted to correct it without acknowledging his mistake a few seconds later by prominently repeating, "1985-86 Celtics" once the graphic came up and contradicted him.)

Or how about when Breen (I think, or was it Jackson?) referred to Varejao's takedown of Ray as "a basketball play?"  Really?