Author Topic: Should we be worried for the first Celtics game of the playoffs?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
The Celtics just got destroyed by the Cavaliers in Cleveland but what really worries me is that our team seems to be unable to win on afternoons anymore.

A win against the Suns and another one against the Thunder put apart, the Celtics lost to the Spurs, the Magic, the Pistons in Boston and at Milwaukee. All these games were on Sunday afternoons.

The first game of the playoffs (probably against the Bulls) will probably begin at 12:30 pm next Saturday. Are the C's really playing poorly on afternoons, or on Sundays, or is just a coincidence?

I know the Celtics will be way much more focused in the playoffs than they are now, especially with KG and Leon back, but I'm quite worried about this "phenomenon".

Re: Should we be worried for the first Celtics game of the playoffs?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Well, the Magic killed the Cavs in Orlando. The Cavs do the same to us in their home court.

Maybe we'll kill our first round opponent the same way?  ::)

Regardless, that's probably what it was; a mulligan. The Celtics could not find a shot today, while the Cavs were able to make all of there's. Right now, I'm not worried. When the playoffs are on, KG and Powe will be back. Heck, even Scal may be back. And, hopefully everyone will have their shots then.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:58:21 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'd like to offer a clear-cut answer, but anyone not inside the Celtics practice facility and locker room doesn't have one.

Classic wait and see deal.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
One word - No.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
No.  We killed the Lakers last year in Game 6.  Doesn't mean that we're head and shoulders above the Lakers. 

As for the first round, I'm not worried at all.  Even if KG couldn't play, we'll still beat whatever crappy team we end up facing in the first round pretty easily. 

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:24:26 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Against the Bulls or the Pistons? Puuuulease.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 07:33:52 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
No.  We killed the Lakers last year in Game 6.  Doesn't mean that we're head and shoulders above the Lakers. 

As for the first round, I'm not worried at all.  Even if KG couldn't play, we'll still beat whatever crappy team we end up facing in the first round pretty easily. 

I am pretty sure game 6 was a night game. Also, the OP has a point. They seem to always come out flat during day games and on the road they absolutely cannot do that. At home this weekend though in the first round, it should not be a problem because the garden will be electric. At least I hop so since I'll be there!

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:36:22 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
who knows but nothing really worries me about the celtics we lost to detriot once and beat them 3 times. lost to san antonio once. beat orlando twice and lost twice without KG. lost to the lakers on bogus called games so that doesnt worry me. the only thing that worries me is playing cleveland in cleveland and mikki moores too thin he worries me starburys playing well now

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 07:44:05 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

I am pretty sure game 6 was a night game. Also, the OP has a point. They seem to always come out flat during day games and on the road they absolutely cannot do that. At home this weekend though in the first round, it should not be a problem because the garden will be electric. At least I hop so since I'll be there!

we went to 7 against the Hawks, but we still destroyed them at home.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 07:50:47 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
aaaaaaa.....no way....orlando did the same thing to cleveland and now have lost 4 of their last 7 games....this game means zero

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 08:35:54 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
aaaaaaa.....no way....orlando did the same thing to cleveland and now have lost 4 of their last 7 games....this game means zero
Amen.

What he said.

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 10:17:23 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Anytime two very good teams play each other there is always the opportunity for one of them to get blown out. It has been that way for a long time. That is why the playoffs are a series and not just one game. We will beat the Cavs and advance to the Finals where once again we will beat the Lackers. It won't be easy but it is still going to happen.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 06:30:27 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

I'm not worried by the blowout loss in Cleveland but by the poor basketball played by the Celtics everytime they play on the afternoon.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 07:50:54 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

I'm not worried by the blowout loss in Cleveland but by the poor basketball played by the Celtics everytime they play on the afternoon.

The afternoon problems is really just coincidence...the problem in cleveland is not, whether its night or day, we suck in that arena

we started off the year undefeated on afternoon sunday games, 6-0? something like that...since its been a disaster tho
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 08:02:59 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

Playoffs are a little different then reg. season. If they come out lazy in the playoffs I will be surprised.