Author Topic: What do you do for work?  (Read 32335 times)

What do you do for work?
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
What do you do for work and where do you see yourself in 5 years? I'm on the verge of finishing my BS and I'm curious what fellow posters are doing for bread.  :)

Re: What do you do for work?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
finishing my BS and sell P&C insurance. Been licensed since I was 20 years old.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I do entry level accounting since its all that was open for legal studies grads with no law school experience near the city.

I just got into law school last month for this fall , so in 5 years i hope to be practicing law after finishing school.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
In my first year as a professor of social/media psychology.  I have one more year on this appointment and then hopefully will be able to move on to another position (no guarantees in this economy though). 

I didn't come from a wealthy background (father worked in a zinc mine), and I feel very blessed to have made it as far as I have.  I love teaching and researching and working on my own schedule, and I hope I can do this til I retire.  Who knows what the future holds, though.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 11:36:48 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
In 5 years I hope to be working for the state/federal government or a university/college as an officer under the large umbrella that is the criminal justice field. Otherwise this investment in my education did not payoff and I'll set my sites on the carpenters union in Boston.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Have roughly 3 years left until I receive my PhD in Chemistry, hopefully to work for a pharmaceutical company, or other chemical company.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:39:23 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I graduated from college in 2008, majored in Biology & minored in marketing...weird combo I guess you could say.  I applied to various medical schools, got accepted into the University of Florida, University of VA, and a couple off-shore schools as a back up...Only problem is, I didn't enroll, gave it all up.  

Basically, now, I have a job as a market consultant for a firm, which my brother-in-law is the president of out in Woburn, MA.  Good company, been open for about 10 years now.  

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:43 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I am working on year 2 of my J.D.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 11:50:20 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Working as a researcher and consultant for a national non-profit/think tank right now, so I write a lot, travel some, and occasionally get called as an expert witness and have to testify in front of state legislatures, which is cool.  

In 5 years I'm looking to do more consulting and possibly latch on either with a university in an AD role, or with a professional sports league as a lobbyist (the UFC 4-5 years ago would have been perfect...now I'm not so sure that role needs to be filled...)
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:53:59 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
In the final year of my PhD and will start work as a professor at a business school in NYC in the fall.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Kust started a guitar component company with my father.  He has come up with some designs for a few different types of guitars that people, so far, have been blown away by.  We're hoping things will continue growing and in 5 years we will be doing really well and have a name for ourselves in the music/guitar community.  Check it out!  Let me know what you think.

www.killerguitarcomponents.com
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
 social worker

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:10:47 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I'm curious what fellow posters are doing for bread.  :)

Anything that will pay the bills.  Seriously.  Law, IT, business consulting, whatever I can get to pay the mortgage.  As my remaining contracts are about up, I may be doing something altogether different next month. 

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
digital pathology.

www.aperio.com

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
Professional Will Solomon fan.

President of a company that manufactures a one-of-a-kind product for the fire & security industry.  I work with specifiers, regulators, government agencies, nationwide alarm integrators, insurance regulators and of course end users. 
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.