Author Topic: Dumars in the draft  (Read 5504 times)

Re: Dumars in the draft
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I cant rate danny because we've never had a high pick, but if the rumors are true that he wanted durrant over oden, then i say he was going to make a pretty good pick there.

Of course, he also wanted Robert Swift over Al Jefferson. ;)  Danny also was said not to be very high on Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy, and he was rumored to prefer Yi Jianlian over Jeff Green, among others.  I don't think it's fair to judge based upon rumored interest, but Danny hasn't always been linked to the absolute best player, either.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Dumars in the draft
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
No matter what there can be no Mulligan with the Darco pick, the guy passed on Melo, Wade, Bosh and more, for a sub par player, it was an obvious choice and he blew it. To me that completely negates all talk of Dumars as any type of draft expert.

Likewise there should be no mulligans with the Gerald Green pick.  Danny missed picking Nate Robinson, David Lee, Jason Maxiell, Jarrett Jack, Francisco Garcia, CJ Miles, Monta Ellis, Louis Williams, Amir Johnson....

I realize it is not of the same magnitude (whiffing on a #2 pick is worse than on a #18 pick), but there are similarities: lots of people were high on Darko, likewise lots of people were high on Green.  The point is that it is easy to make a mistake when the player involved is young and untested.

I cant rate danny because we've never had a high pick, but if the rumors are true that he wanted durrant over oden, then i say he was going to make a pretty good pick there.

of course, there's also rumors he wanted the chairmen at 5, so mabey that cancles out lol.

Actually I think you raise a good point about Danny.  He has had a high pick (the #5 pick is pretty high), and he did wonders with that pick by trading it for Ray Allen.  In other words, I think a GM should be judged not just on who they draft with the picks they are given, but what they do with those picks in general.  
Celtics fan for life.