Author Topic: Would any of the Big 3 Give up  (Read 2092 times)

Would any of the Big 3 Give up
« on: April 02, 2009, 03:14:43 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

X amount of Dollars to bring in another top Tier NBA Talent and hopefully one that is between 25 and 29, to give us an even better chance of winning titles while everyone is all together.

And what would it take. 2 million each. Could we then get a guy that could really help us Like a Corey Maggette, But with Brains.

Re: Would any of the Big 3 Give up
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
I think if we offered to make it up to them at a later time they would. If it would be the type of player that would all but give us a championship, then I have no doubt.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Even if they would, they can't. NBA contracts can't be downgraded.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:46:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Yep, and they can only be restructured if a team is under the salary cap.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:53:18 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

Though I wonder how it could be proven if KG was like "Sign with us over Cleveland, Joe. I'm very generous around the holidays. hint 500K ;) ;) "  A) Hard to see how someone would be caught and B) I wonder if the team would be punished even if they knew nothing about it.

Kind of ironic I use Joe Smith as an example for a wink wink dealing

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 03:59:57 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Didn't Garnett restructure his contract immediately after being traded to the Celtics?

I know it was technically a three-year extension, but none of the three years are for salary anywhere near his salary for this year.

If either Pierce or Ray have an opt-out option to exercise on their current contracts, couldn't something similar be worked out?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Didn't Garnett restructure his contract immediately after being traded to the Celtics?

I know it was technically a three-year extension, but none of the three years are for salary anywhere near his salary for this year.

If either Pierce or Ray have an opt-out option to exercise on their current contracts, couldn't something similar be worked out?

As you mentioned, he didn't restructure, he simply signed an extension for less than he was eligible for.  He didn't (and couldn't) change any of the guaranteed money already owed to him, though.  He played out the years on his Minnesota contract, and his new extension kicks in next season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 04:06:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

As you mentioned, he didn't restructure, he simply signed an extension for less than he was eligible for.  He didn't (and couldn't) change any of the guaranteed money already owed to him, though.  He played out the years on his Minnesota contract, and his new extension kicks in next season.

I couldn't remember his original contract details; I thought he might have exercised an opt-out clause to allow for the extension under cheaper terms.

If that were the case, I guess it wouldn't have been called an extension.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 04:11:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I couldn't remember his original contract details; I thought he might have exercised an opt-out clause to allow for the extension under cheaper terms.

If that were the case, I guess it wouldn't have been called an extension.

Yeah, KG didn't give up any guaranteed, or even non-guaranteed money.  He simply agreed to three extra years; the $24 million KG is making this year was the amount of the last year he had on his Minnesota contract (which he could have opted out of.)

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 04:44:49 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
What about buy outs? For example:

Trade a guy in the last year of his deal (Ray Allen)
Recieve collection of stuff (V. Carter, J. Boone, #1 Pick)
New Team buys out our guy for $6m less than current deal ($10m)
Celtics resign our guy for full-mle ($6m returned)

Even if it was possible, it would not happen with Ray's deal - the C's would push the $80+ million range, and they are not going there. Pierce's deal, on the other hand...
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi