Author Topic: so wait, are we wrong on the salary cap? (maz again)  (Read 3422 times)

so wait, are we wrong on the salary cap? (maz again)
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:28:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
According to two NBA sources, the Celtics currently project to be under the salary cap following the 2010 season, when Ray Allen's contract is set to expire. That means they will have a max contract to offer in what is a very deep free agent class. The contracts of Paul Pierce ('11) and Garnett ('12) will come up in the years immediately thereafter, meaning the Celtics again will have max contracts to offer if they are still under the cap.

thats from maz today. I thought (i may be wrong here) that we are no where near a max contract in 2010???

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: so wait, are we wrong on the salary cap? (maz again)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Paging Mr. Hobbs...Mr. Hobbs to the Cap Thread please
Yup

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:35:28 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
It's a bird-- it's a plane-- its salary cap man!

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
well whats intersting is that eh claims to have 2 NBA "sources" that back him up on this. by the explinations i read, he's wrong on a couple of levels.

1. 2010 we won't be under cap, at least not a max contract under cap.

2. if we signed a max contract in 2010, as maz proposed, we wouldnt get to hand out 2 brand new max contracts when paul and KG come off the books. its not a one for one system maz.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Who's Maz? He's wrong. I mean, theoretically, if Pierce doesn't exercise his option and if we renounce to Ray Allen rights and don't extend Rondo and renounce to other free-agents (some combination of these decisions), it'd be possible. But in the real world it isn't  happening, especially when it seems the salary cap is going to decrease.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 01:14:40 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Who's Maz? He's wrong. I mean, theoretically, if Pierce doesn't exercise his option and if we renounce to Ray Allen rights and don't extend Rondo and renounce to other free-agents (some combination of these decisions), it'd be possible. But in the real world it isn't  happening, especially when it seems the salary cap is going to decrease.

tony mazirotti, the celtics beat writer for the globe.

He's dead set that they are players in the 2010 FA market with a max contract, and I just don't get why.

It just caught my eye that now he has two "sources"

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 01:18:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Don't believe Mazz.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 01:30:54 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Let's assume Rondo signs an extension for $6 million, Powe for $2 million (very optimistic scenario). Pierce stays. You let Ray Allen walk for nothing, ditto for BBD, House, Tony Allen, Scal, Bill Walker, etc. and you sell every draft pick (or don't sign the rookies).

You'd have around $52 millions commited to Pierce, KG, Rondo, Powe, Perkins and Giddens - 6 players. The salary cap for 2010 is projected to be... $55 million.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 01:34:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Let's assume Rondo signs an extension for $6 million, Powe for $2 million (very optimistic scenario). Pierce stays. You let Ray Allen walk for nothing, ditto for BBD, House, Tony Allen, Scal, Bill Walker, etc. and you sell every draft pick (or don't sign the rookies).

You'd have around $52 millions commited to Pierce, KG, Rondo, Powe, Perkins and Giddens - 6 players. The salary cap for 2010 is projected to be... $55 million.

makes you wonder who his "nba sources" are. 2 celtic interns?

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 01:42:19 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
The era of NBA deflation begins in earnest in 2010. The salary cap is determined as a fixed percentage of Basketball Related Income (BRI) - Ticket and luxery suite revenues + merchandising + TV advertisements. With the economy being the way it is, I expect a contraction in the (BRI). Even if there was no contraction in the salary cap, you must pay Rondo, Glen Davis, Perkins with the money saved from Ray Allen's slot. Ray can take the veterans salary decrease. So can Paul. KG extended at 1/3 less than peak already.

A number of teams could fold and that would create fewer openings for NBA players. But the league would be much stronger for it in the long run.

Rondo will command a big contract soon on a par with the top PGs in this league - Nash, Paul, Kidd (well he is at the back end of his max deal), Deron Williams... 6 million seems way to light for a top flight PG at this time.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 01:43:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The C's WILL be under the salary cap in 2010 (although probably not for max money, depending on what the cap number is)...if they don't resign anyone, sign only 1 year contracts, and let Ray walk.  So while Maz is correct, it is incredibly misleading, because it is just not a realistic scenario.  It is either sloppy reporting, or purposely ignoring the fact that it is far fetched, in order to start discussion.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 01:54:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
The C's WILL be under the salary cap in 2010 (although probably not for max money, depending on what the cap number is)...if they don't resign anyone, sign only 1 year contracts, and let Ray walk.  So while Maz is correct, it is incredibly misleading, because it is just not a realistic scenario.  It is either sloppy reporting, or purposely ignoring the fact that it is far fetched, in order to start discussion.

It's Mazz.  He's a walking, talking definition of sloppy reporting.  Also, I'll never forgive the guy for ripping on Boston sports fans. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 02:07:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
maybe if we keep asking this question over and over again the answer will change.

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 02:27:16 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
The era of NBA deflation begins in earnest in 2010. The salary cap is determined as a fixed percentage of Basketball Related Income (BRI) - Ticket and luxery suite revenues + merchandising + TV advertisements. With the economy being the way it is, I expect a contraction in the (BRI). Even if there was no contraction in the salary cap, you must pay Rondo, Glen Davis, Perkins with the money saved from Ray Allen's slot. Ray can take the veterans salary decrease. So can Paul. KG extended at 1/3 less than peak already.

A number of teams could fold and that would create fewer openings for NBA players. But the league would be much stronger for it in the long run.

Rondo will command a big contract soon on a par with the top PGs in this league - Nash, Paul, Kidd (well he is at the back end of his max deal), Deron Williams... 6 million seems way to light for a top flight PG at this time.

QuinielaBox: "What happened? I blacked out"
Dean Pritchard: "That was interesting. ha ha. Thank you very much. And, uh, your rebuttal? Mr. Carville."
James Carville: "Oh... It... We... have no response. That was perfect."
QuinielaBox: "That's the way you do it! That's the way you debate!"

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
well whats intersting is that eh claims to have 2 NBA "sources" that back him up on this. by the explinations i read, he's wrong on a couple of levels.

1. 2010 we won't be under cap, at least not a max contract under cap.

2. if we signed a max contract in 2010, as maz proposed, we wouldnt get to hand out 2 brand new max contracts when paul and KG come off the books. its not a one for one system maz.

When Ray's contract expires, we *may* be under the cap.  However, there is absolutely no way we could clear enough space to offer a max deal (or even much more than a MLE deal) without shedding existing players who will be under contract.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions