Author Topic: Post # 10K - Help Redz Get in Shape  (Read 27333 times)

Post # 10K - Help Redz Get in Shape
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
Here's something I've been thinking about for a while.  I know there are quite a few fitness buffs on here, so I'm looking for help with a plan, or at the very least someone to answer to. 

Here's my situation.  I'm 40.  It's been probably 10 years since I did any steady, regular exercise for more than a few weeks.  I've always been a bit overweight, but I have a large frame and have done alright carrying the weight.  My weight has been fairly steady for the last 7 or 8 years, until this past year, where I peaked.  I have had pretty good success in the past, when I put my mind to it, with a pretty simple plan of eating better food, and exercising regularly.  Not brain surgery there. Time constraints seems to be my biggest excuse for not exercising.  I also have an issue with seeing some results, then letting it slide because I've "earned it".  Bad rationalizing.

There's really no bad reason for getting on a healthier track, but I have some very compelling reasons to start now.  I've made a lot of changes in my life in the past few months, and this is just as important as the rest.  I started grad school in December...I moved out of my place of business for the last 12 years...I am going to be returning to waiting on tables part time for the first time in 10 years...I am going to be reopening my biz as a part time scaled down operation...I have 2 little girls whose schedules are going to become increasingly more involved in the years to come...Basically, I have a lot on the plate, and I feel like I need to get myself in better shape to deal with it.

Physically, I'm not up to running.  I have two bad knees from being a catcher.  I can walk, and I can work up to walking decent distances at decent speeds.  Strength wise, I actually feel like I've never been stronger, but it's more of a brute strength thing - nothing exercise based.  I've never been a big weight lifter.

I'd like to get into a regiment that I commit to for 30-45 a day and cut the crap with my comfort eating.

I use this place for all sorts of stuff, I figured maybe you guys/gals could help keep me accountable until I get the "training wheels" off.

I own a treadmill, but a new gym just opened up that my wife's been going to. 

Any ideas?

Yup

Re: Post # 10K - Help Redz Get in Shape
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Whatever advice you get here,
please cut me a slice of the
action. I could use it  ???

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Join the CB Health Club!

I'm serious...I'm up for whatever.  I just need to be accountable somewhere, and I know for [dang] sure I check in here at least once a day. (of course I could be exercising instead...but you get my point).
Yup

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Something that may initially help you drop a lot of weight is cutting down what you eat in the night time.  My most effective diets have been when I have set a deadline of no food after 7:00pm.  That's perhaps not overly realistic in your position, but if you can make a more reasonable deadline for yourself, I think it would at least get you on the right track.

In terms of exercise, I'd recommend some light resistance weight-training (nothing heavy, since you don't need bulk), and using one of the bikes with the built in programs, where you can electronically adjust the resistance.

Of course...  stuff like that takes discipline, and I currently don't have any, which is why you recently sent me an XL shirt, if I recall. ;)

P.S.  Congrats on 10k!

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:11:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Something that may initially help you drop a lot of weight is cutting down what you eat in the night time.  My most effective diets have been when I have set a deadline of no food after 7:00pm.  That's perhaps not overly realistic in your position, but if you can make a more reasonable deadline for yourself, I think it would at least get you on the right track.

In terms of exercise, I'd recommend some light resistance weight-training (nothing heavy, since you don't need bulk), and using one of the bikes with the built in programs, where you can electronically adjust the resistance.

Of course...  stuff like that takes discipline, and I currently don't have any, which is why you recently sent me an XL shirt, if I recall. ;)

P.S.  Congrats on 10k!

The night eating has been an issue.  I can get through the day ok...then I just start munching on a bunch of crap at night.  Really just a quantity issue, not so much of a bad quality food issue...We keep fairly healthy stuff around teh house.  But it's just eating for the sake of eating, not to satisfy a hunger.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:14:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Basic weight lifting 3 times a week and cardio 2 days a week for your 30-45min time frame should benefit you tremendously.  You can't run, and I really think walking is a waste of time.  How are the eliptical machines at the gym on your knees?  If your knees tolerate them, you can burn a decent amount of calories.  Another option is swimming if you have access to a pool.  I've had some knee issues lately so I've been doing more swimming and a little less running.  You could also do a spin class a couple times a week if you are up to it.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 12:16:24 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Basic weight lifting 3 times a week and cardio 2 days a week for your 30-45min time frame should benefit you tremendously.  You can't run, and I really think walking is a waste of time.  How are the eliptical machines at the gym on your knees?  If your knees tolerate them, you can burn a decent amount of calories.  Another option is swimming if you have access to a pool.  I've had some knee issues lately so I've been doing more swimming and a little less running.  You could also do a spin class a couple times a week if you are up to it.

thanks.  I've never tried the elipticals, but I'm sure anything's going to put me through a hurtin' to start.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

P.S.  Congrats on 10k!

The night eating has been an issue.  I can get through the day ok...then I just start munching on a bunch of crap at night.  Really just a quantity issue, not so much of a bad quality food issue...We keep fairly healthy stuff around teh house.  But it's just eating for the sake of eating, not to satisfy a hunger.
The night eating is just going to be a mental strength issue.  Either you are going to tough it out or you're not.  Sometimes eating more earlier in the day can help you eat less later in the day, which is good for weight loss.  And obviously if you are going to eat late in the day take in as little calories as possible at that time.  Water can help fill you up.  Another trick if you like them is pickles because they have almost no calories.  You can eat a bunch of them with almost no effect on your total calories and they can fill you up.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 12:29:21 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Don't do anything the Russian does, you're better than that. And listen to this song during all training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDko7Utfqdg

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 12:31:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Don't do anything the Russian does, you're better than that. And listen to this song during all training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDko7Utfqdg

[dang], I just shaved my beard off too.  I would have been all set.
Yup

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Can you bike? I'm a great fan of bike riding (as a fan of the pro sport itself and of practicing it myself for recreational purposes) and that has been my salvation there. I once stopped biking for almost a year, due to a surgery, and my body inflated more and more quickly than Obama's public debt; I couldn't even run anymore. Once I was cleared to bike again, my shape and overall well-being improved drastically. Personally, I think it's a more enjoyable than gymns, treadmills, jogging or even running and jumping in pick-up ball games. You can do it alone, with friends, with the kids, with groups, road, mountain, climb, downhill, faster, slower. Plus, it's cheap; but if you want to make it expensive, there are lots of fancy stuff to buy. And you can discover new places and fabulous landscapes. Also, you get to know other riders, and riders are good people, smarter and more handsome than the average citizen.

You do live in Cape Cod, if I'm not mistaken, right? I've seen photos from there in a biking-related message board, it's a great region to bike, awesome biking trails from what I've seen and there are plenty of clubs and group rides. If your knees allow it, give biking a try!

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Can you bike? I'm a great fan of bike riding (as a fan of the pro sport itself and of practicing it myself for recreational purposes) and that has been my salvation there. I once stopped biking for almost a year, due to a surgery, and my body inflated more and more quickly than Obama's public debt; I couldn't even run anymore. Once I was cleared to bike again, my shape and overall well-being improved drastically. Personally, I think it's a more enjoyable than gymns, treadmills, jogging or even running and jumping in pick-up ball games. You can do it alone, with friends, with the kids, with groups, road, mountain, climb, downhill, faster, slower. Plus, it's cheap; but if you want to make it expensive, there are lots of fancy stuff to buy. And you can discover new places and fabulous landscapes. Also, you get to know other riders, and riders are good people, smarter and more handsome than the average citizen.

You do live in Cape Cod, if I'm not mistaken, right? I've seen photos from there in a biking-related message board, it's a great region to bike, awesome biking trails from what I've seen and there are plenty of clubs and group rides. If your knees allow it, give biking a try!

Yep.  I actually own a decent bike that's been collecting rust and dust in the barn.  My brother used to give bike tours on the Cape and is a bit of a biking enthusiast (though he's let it slip the last few years).  Most of the really cool paths are a bit of a ride for me to get to, and I might run into some time constraint issues, but I certainly can work it on somewhere.
Yup

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
cut the beers.

wait that advice is for me... ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 01:25:20 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I need help getting in shape. I am trying to get 5 workout stints a week where I burn at least 200 cals. Mostly cardio and wieght lifting, then water aerobics with The Mrs Q who is bugging me to get in shape.

Remember exercise takes 6 weeks to develop a habit but only two weeks to break it.

I eat more in the morning and at lunch and try to cut the snacks during the evening NBA games.

I go to bed feeling hungry sometimes but at least the weight and blood pressure stay under control.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.