Author Topic: IF All 12 Can Play, Is There a Deeper 1-thru-12 in the NBA?  (Read 3474 times)

IF All 12 Can Play, Is There a Deeper 1-thru-12 in the NBA?
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
For some reason TA's return last night, made me think of this.  I guess I had written Tony off for the season.  If KG comes back, and Powe returns, we then have 12 guys on the active roster who all have something to offer.  Your 11th & 12th men are who?  TA & Walker.  I am writing Scal off. The end of the bench is a significant upgrade from what you normally see, even on a good team.  The down side is, it's next to impossible to have a 12 man rotation ever, much less in the playoffs. 

Full health seems like a big stretch.  If KG can play on a limited minutes basis, that depth will be key. Hopefully Doc will have the full arsenal to bring to battle.
Yup

Re: IF All 12 Can Play, Is There a Deeper 1-thru-12 in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:47:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think this same thing sometimes too, Redz...but I mean is our 1-12 really that quality, or are we so confident in them because they resemble an ad-hoc cast of the dirty dozen. You know, the Loser (Steph), the Young gun(Walker), the Tough no non-sense physical guy/sergeant (Powe), the dandy (BBD), Predator (Moore)...I mean I think its all about character for us.

I think Portland is the deepest team in the league.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I think this same thing sometimes too, Redz...but I mean is our 1-12 really that quality, or are we so confident in them because they resemble an ad-hoc cast of the dirty dozen. You know, the Loser (Steph), the Young gun(Walker), the Tough no non-sense physical guy/sergeant (Powe), the dandy (BBD), Predator (Moore)...I mean I think its all about character for us.

I guess I just hadn't thought I'd see all 12 together...Still might not, but the novelty of the idea got me thinking.

I actually liked the Bobcats bench somewhat. 
Yup

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I guess I just hadn't thought I'd see all 12 together...Still might not, but the novelty of the idea got me thinking.

But I mean...do you agree or disagree with the dirty dozen parallelogram?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

But I mean...do you agree or disagree with the dirty dozen parallelogram?

Sorry, I thought that was a trapezoid. Sure, I'll go with it, but who gets the Ernest Borgnine part?  Scal I guess?
Yup

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:15:07 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Hmm... I don't think so. Walker and Moore are marginal NBA players, especially the first one. Why count him and not Pruitt? And the only wing is Tony Allen who's more of a guard anyway. I think our bench last season was deeper and more balanced.

Plus, depth is overrated for the playoffs, as Coaches tighten the rotations. All you need is 8 guys who can play and 4 to cheer like crazy. Answering your challenge, I can think of deeper teams. The Spurs, for example: Hill, Mason Jr., Bowen, Udoka, Kurt Thomas, Gooden, Oberto. The Cavs, the Magic, the Lakers, the Rockets, the Jazz and the Blazers also have good, deep, benches.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:22:13 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
Walker has shown more this year than Pruitt has in two years.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:36:34 AM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Hmm... I don't think so. Walker and Moore are marginal NBA players, especially the first one.

Disagreement is fine, insulting is not.
-IP
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:39:52 AM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 10:47:35 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Plus, depth is overrated for the playoffs, as Coaches tighten the rotations. All you need is 8 guys who can play and 4 to cheer like crazy. Answering your challenge, I can think of deeper teams. The Spurs, for example: Hill, Mason Jr., Bowen, Udoka, Kurt Thomas, Gooden, Oberto. The Cavs, the Magic, the Lakers, the Rockets, the Jazz and the Blazers also have good, deep, benches.

Yeh, I mentioned about the depth not being so important in the playoffs, I was more trying to make the point that TA as 11th man is pretty good.  But, yes, you're right about the Spurs and probably some others.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 11:15:31 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
One through 12 the C's may have it in terms of guys that will actually contribute.

I think the Cavs are probably the deepest in terms of quality, when healthy though, their top ten is serious in terms of solid contributors:

Lebron
Ilgauskas
Mo Williams
Delonte
Ben Wallace
Wally
Booby Gibson
Joe Smith
Pavlovic
Anderson Varejao

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 11:42:25 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
When we are all healthy it's going to seem like we have a lot of players to use, but although we all drink the kool aid at times, some of these guys wouldn't be good enough to get in a game on some other teams.  Could you imagine TA, Walker, Moore, Pruitt, and probably even Baby getting any minutes on the Spurs?  Scal?  I just don't see it.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 12:02:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Hmm... I don't think so. Walker and Moore are marginal NBA players, especially the first one. Why count him and not Pruitt? And the only wing is Tony Allen who's more of a guard anyway. I think our bench last season was deeper and more balanced.

I think the bottom 2 are Moore and Scal ( with non-starters of BBD, Moore, Powe, Scal, TA, House and Marbuty). The bottom 2 for Cleveland are Hickson and Darnell Jackson and for the Spurs (from another post are Oberto and Vaughn. I think we're at least in the argument.

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think the bottom 2 are Moore and Scal ( with non-starters of BBD, Moore, Powe, Scal, TA, House and Marbuty). The bottom 2 for Cleveland are Hickson and Darnell Jackson and for the Spurs (from another post are Oberto and Vaughn. I think we're at least in the argument.

Exactly.  If the C's are healthy, Walker, Pruitt and Giddens are all in street clothes.

I think there definitely are some teams who have better 6-12 guys (mainly because some other teams have better 6-8 guys), but overall if the C's are healthy they have a very strong roster.

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 12:53:38 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Trailblazers?

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 01:06:21 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Walker has shown more this year than Pruitt has in two years.

Maybe, I don't know. He certainly dunked more times. But it was too little anyway. How many minutes of non-garbage basketball has he played? 50? If Walker was in any other team and had played so little without any particularly great game, nobody here would mention him as a potential playoffs contributor or even as a good prospect.