Author Topic: tonight is a perfect example how ref's calls even out over time  (Read 3483 times)

Re: tonight is a perfect example how ref's calls even out over time
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
TP, very good post.

Danny Ainge said it himself when he was interviewed on EEI two weeks ago. When asked what he thought about NBA refereeing he said that it goes in cycles. He said that EVERYBODY thinks that they are getting screwed by the refs no matter what team you are on. He said that he thought that the Celtics had had some tough calls this year but that they usually even out over time.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

I briefly saw Larry Brown's presser and he wasn't very pleased about it.

Neither are some Bobcats fans. Oddly enough, the mentions to the referees in this blog have been notoriously absent. Go figure...  ::)

I may be in the minority, but I am tired of fans always blaming the refs.

Me too, it's getting insane. In some game threads, 70% of the posts are from people ****ing about the refs.

What he (and Bossco) said.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The problem is not that the reffing is towards one team or another.  We, as fans, know that reffing a game like an NBA game is extremely tough.  What we, as fans, don't like is the NBA take that the refs are sacred and that we, and especially the coaches and players, can't complain about games or else they get punished.  Instead of solving the problem, Sterns tries to sweep it under the rug.  When we get ignored, that's when it gets up mad and the conspirators begin their cries for an ultimate explanation.  Look at the NFL.  They screw up a couple of plays during a game so they go back and acknowledge it during the season and make changes during the offseason.  When does that ever happen in the NBA?  The Portland thing?  That was so obvious where they had to change it.  But how many calls are there that we as fans have been complaining for so long (preferential treatment, carrying the ball, traveling) that are never acknowledged.  That just makes us more and more frustrated.

Lastly, a great example of a refs inability to do their job and because Stern allows them to act like gods out there.  How about in the end of the first overtime when Doc tried to call a timeout, chasing the refs, as time was running out.  Then the refs explanation was that Ray never had control of the ball, even though took the ball, dribbled, and focused on the basket, and shot the ball.  You can see in Ray's eyes that he had focused on the basket, thinking about the shot.  There is no way that he didn't have control of that ball.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Actually I disagree there was at least 5 horrible offensive fouls called last night.  I do agree though over time calls even out.

Horrible calls in key situations and unlucky injuries have held the C's back this season.  In fact they are a much deeper and talented team this year.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 02:17:50 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
How'd you like those flops by Wallace?  It wasn't even good acting and he got the call every time. 

Well, we won.  Screw it.

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 02:49:52 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
I dont believe that boston is singled out in a conspiracy, but I do believe that there is bias that consistanlty arises when Lebron/Kobe is on the court or other big names, just not as bad as the names above. If stern really wanted fair officiating, we would have it.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 03:24:32 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
It's easier to look at this issue if you consider yourself a fan of the game and the league, rather then just a Celtics fan or Bobcats fan or one particular team. The two MAJOR trends that are worthy of criticism are the blatant favoring of name-brand caliber superstars, and the inability of many NBA officials to avoid a home-team bias, regardless of who the home team is. These are valid concerns... However, a bias against a single team theory is a little ridiculous. The only way that would make sense is if the Knicks met the Bobcats in the ECF, and Stern rigged it for the NYC market to be interested in the Finals over Charlotte, and even that I think is somewhat unlikely, but no longer impossible after Donaghy.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
the inability of many NBA officials to avoid a home-team bias, regardless of who the home team is.

To me, this is one of the most noticeable issues in the playoffs. Last year the Cs would play physical D at home and everything would be fine. On the road? Touch fouls everywhere.

I am not "homing" to allow the Cs to get their way everywhere, but just consistency.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 06:42:45 PM »

Offline kheeko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 69
Good call, I was laughing out loud a bunch of times yesterday "You guys got robbed!!!! LOL"