Author Topic: Doc: No way KG misses playoffs  (Read 2258 times)

Doc: No way KG misses playoffs
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:06:54 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

Doc Rivers tonight said definitely that he doesn't think there's any chance injured forward Kevin Garnett won't be ready for the first or second round of the playoffs

"I don't think there is," said Rivers. "I think he absolutely will [play]. Obviously there's always a chance, but I would be very, very surprised if Kevin Garnett weren't playing in Game 1 of the playoffs."

Rivers said he thinks the Celtics could still win a championship without Garnett being 100 percent healthy.

"Yeah, we can [win a championship]," said Rivers. "Defensively is where we need him. Offensively we need his shot and all that, his leadership on the floor. And I think he will be 100 percent or close to it."

While Rivers stressed he doesn't think this will be a possibility, he said he didn't like Boston's chances of winning a title without KG being on the floor.

"Obviously that would be very difficult," he said. "Let's hope that's something we don't have to find out."
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

Re: Doc: No way KG misses playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:12:17 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm with Doc here. I would be surprised if KG doesn't play, regardless of the injury he may have.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm with Doc here. I would be surprised if KG doesn't play, regardless of the injury he may have.
He'll definitely play. The worry I have is will he get worn down by the end of the playoffs and be limping around like Karl Malone was at the end of the Finals when he was with the Lakers.

Obviously that was a very different situation, but emotionally I remember him battling Wallace with one leg. I'd hate to see KG reduced to that. Nor would the Celtics likely win another banner if that were the case.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
good enough for me...i trust doc...now what about powe???

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 07:40:14 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
He'll definitely play. The worry I have is will he get worn down by the end of the playoffs and be limping around like Karl Malone was at the end of the Finals when he was with the Lakers.

Obviously that was a very different situation, but emotionally I remember him battling Wallace with one leg. I'd hate to see KG reduced to that. Nor would the Celtics likely win another banner if that were the case.

KG with  one leg, no legs is< than malone with two legs
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 07:41:01 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I lost respect for Patrick Ewing years ago when he sat out the finals when New York finally got there. Patrick did not want to jeopardize his career for a chance at a title. The funny thing was, he never was a great player again. I guess what I'm saying is that at KG's age, you never know how many good years you have left. He'd better take his chance at 60-70% to win a title than not ever getting a chance again.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 07:46:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
good enough for me...i trust doc...now what about powe???

Celtics reserve forward Leon Powe hopes to return from a sore right knee in time for the team's playoff run.

"The playoffs is what we're aiming for right now," said Powe. "But Doc (Rivers) said that maybe I can (return) a little bit before that."

Powe will miss his seventh straight game on Wednesday night.

He also insisted that Boston's decision to shut down Kevin Garnett with a similar knee injury won't affect his situation.

"It doesn't change anything for me," Powe said. "It's no fun to sit, but I just have to get this injury better. They told me when it first happened that it would take three-and-a-half or four weeks, and that's what it seems to be. I'm not coming back until I'm healthy."

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/58243/20090401/powe_hopes_to_return_for_postseason/

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 05:56:39 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Good news in both cases, I think Doc is telling the truth but I'll be truly relieved when I'll see Powe and KG playing in the playoffs (or at the end of the regular season).

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

It can happen, we'll have to see. But things change so quickly in the NBA that a player of KG's age can't just pass any decent chance of winning another ring. Who knows where this team is next season in terms of contending status? And, as Zapata would say, prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:05:27 AM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
If KG and Powe are back on the court and healthy enough to play why not?

Still I think KG wouldn't be watching no more once playoffs begin. He will have to be out in the court I think he is ready now, but understands it's more important to get healthy. Same with Powe they both are key players needed if we want to make a run in the playoffs.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 11:09:12 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
IMO Celts could win first round with no Garnett AND no Powe.  They could win second round with no Garnett and healthy Powe.  After that they'll need Garnett to be feeling super fine....(though, they might take Cleveland to 7 games even without Garnett)

Powe's complete health is essential if KG is limited.

Without Garnett, opponents let down their guard slightly.  The Celts can take advantage of that to some extent.  And also be a different sort of team, relying more on guards, etc...could be a very interesting team...but not champs imo..