Author Topic: Best chick flick?  (Read 22536 times)

Re: Best chick flick?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
isnt that an oxymoron.....best chick flick?!  ;)

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 02:53:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I not sure it qualifies, but Casablanca is one of the greatest love stories ever, and when I think love story I think chick flick.

An Affair to Remember is another classic.

Casablanca is not a chick flick. It just can't be.

Out of all the gin joints in all the world, she had to walk into mine.
You played it for her you can play it for me.
The flashback from Paris.
The big sending her away with her hubby at the end.

Sorry my friend, but a chick flick it is.

What? No way. I mean if Casablanca is a chick flick cuz there is romance in it, then so are like 80% of James Bond Movies...I mean romance pops up in almost all movies eventually, but it doesn't make it a "chick flick". I think Chick Flick means a movie directed and written (and cast) in such a fashion that it stereotypically related more to women than men. A movie like Say Anything, or "The Family Stone"...you can't put one of the best motion pictures of all time on that list.

I would consider Casablanca to be a chick flick and that is another excellent movie. I'll also throw Grease out there as well. I know it's a musical but it speaks more to women than it does to men. I like it though. I think I might like too many chick flicks... I wonder if that's a bad thing.

Well no question is Grease a chick flick, but Matt I will vehemently lead the "Casablanca is not a chick Flick" parade. It just isnt!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I not sure it qualifies, but Casablanca is one of the greatest love stories ever, and when I think love story I think chick flick.

What? No way. I mean if Casablanca is a chick flick cuz there is romance in it, then so are like 80% of James Bond Movies...I mean romance pops up in almost all movies eventually, but it doesn't make it a "chick flick". I think Chick Flick means a movie directed and written (and cast) in such a fashion that it stereotypically related more to women than men. A movie like Say Anything, or "The Family Stone"...you can't put one of the best motion pictures of all time on that list.

I think Say anything is more of a 80's teen movie. 

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 02:59:13 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Couple of my favorites:

Enemy Mine, A River Runs Through It, Dirty Dancing, Buch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Cat Ballou, Mama Mia, West Side Story, Ben Hur, Spartacus, Casablanca, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Titanic....not so many of the newer movies mainly because I have been too busy to see them.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 03:09:36 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Guys, a "Great Chick Flick" is NOT and oxymoron...

TPs for Hoyo de Monterrey & celts55 for Princess Bride & Casablanca respectively, unquestionably Chick Flix by their own right and two of the best films of all time.

I'll give a TP nod to SShoreFan for Notting Hill & The Notebook (though The Notebook is kind of like two movies in one: a really amazing film about two young lovers, and an intolerably saccharin puke fest of a story about two old people talking about aforementioned lovers).

I am a professional filmmaker, and avid film fan, and would stake my movie recommending career on the following films in addition...

1. The Graduate
2. Say Anything (trust me, she's already seen it)
3. Pretty Woman (ditto)
4. Il Postino (The Postman) -- I'm talkin' seriously good!
5. Annie Hall

Also, not a Chick Flick in my book, but you could sneak this one past her and is one of the sexiest films ever:

5. Body Heat

P.S.  Want a brilliant sports film featuring a female protagonist?  Got to check out Girl Fight, so good it's hard to believe!

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 03:19:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Had a swell date going to see "Sleepless in Seattle" way back when.

...Legends of the Fall

My wife likes bad horror movies, so I'm off the chick flick hook.
Yup

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 03:22:30 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570

I would consider Casablanca to be a chick flick and that is another excellent movie. I'll also throw Grease out there as well. I know it's a musical but it speaks more to women than it does to men. I like it though. I think I might like too many chick flicks... I wonder if that's a bad thing.

Well no question is Grease a chick flick, but Matt I will vehemently lead the "Casablanca is not a chick Flick" parade. It just isnt!

Ah, sweet denial. The main story line is a love story of Rick and llsa. Of course it can not be because she is married to another even though Rick is the love of her life. The whole reason Rick is the mean fellow he is, is because she never showed up at the train station to leave with him. It's all about the love. The whole Nazi, police, get the papers thing is the secondary plot. You must face it, the main premise of the movie is a love story. Love story equals chick flick. Henceforth, Casablanca is a chick flick.
If you don't believe me, ask pretty much any women if it's not one of her favorite movies. Trust me, just breath deep, you'll be okay.

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Ah, sweet denial. The main story line is a love story of Rick and llsa. Of course it can not be because she is married to another even though Rick is the love of her life. The whole reason Rick is the mean fellow he is, is because she never showed up at the train station to leave with him. It's all about the love. The whole Nazi, police, get the papers thing is the secondary plot. You must face it, the main premise of the movie is a love story. Love story equals chick flick. Henceforth, Casablanca is a chick flick.
If you don't believe me, ask pretty much any women if it's not one of her favorite movies. Trust me, just breath deep, you'll be okay.

I could care less what the movie is labeled as. All I know is it's well written and a great story... A movie I could watch over and over again. If it's a chick flick, it's a chick flick. If it's a blaxploitation action film, it's a blaxploitation action film. All I know is it's [dang] good.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 03:25:58 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Couple of my favorites:

Enemy Mine, A River Runs Through It, Dirty Dancing, Buch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Cat Ballou, Mama Mia, West Side Story, Ben Hur, Spartacus, Casablanca, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Titanic....not so many of the newer movies mainly because I have been too busy to see them.

wait Enemy Mine?   the alien movie with lou gosset and Dennis Quaid?  thats a chick flick?  and one of your favorites?
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2009, 03:26:04 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
As has been said before, Love and Basketball is a really good movie, one of the first I watched with my girlfriend. I actually enjoyed the Family Stone, I forced my girlfriend to go see "The Ringer" with Johnny Knoxville, it was so horrible that I felt bad having made her see it when I knew she wanted to see the Family Stone, we walked right back into the theater and I bought two tickets, and didn't leave disappointed. For a comedy, I like "The Sweetest Thing" pretty funny.

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The best chick flick is the one you never have to watch.

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
If you like old movies here two great ones that would probably be considerd chick flicks

Marty- 1955- oscars for best picture, actor, screenplay and director

Roman Holiday- 1953- oscars best actress (Audrey Hepburn), writing.

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 03:41:36 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Amelie

This is actually one of my favorite movies of all time.  It's a french movie about a girl that tries to do good for others but is afraid to find her own love.  Sounds really cheesy but it's an incredible movie.  The way the movie was made, the scenes, the sequence of events, the imagery placed in the movie, everything!  It's somewhat abstract, but not hard to follow.  It's a really good movie that I encourage everyone to watch it... with a chick, of course.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 03:51:01 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
For a comedy, I like "The Sweetest Thing" pretty funny.

TP..the sweetest thing is def funny,...and i'd marry christina applegate in the movie

is Stand By Me a chick flick?   if it is thats my # 1
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Sorry to double post but my gf just reminded me cause I told her I said Dirty Dancing, I lied. It's Dr. Zhivago, although most girls I've watched it with can't make it through the whole movie, dang kids these days, no attention spans, none at all.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~