Author Topic: I prefer the 3rd seed  (Read 8361 times)

Re: I prefer the 3rd seed
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 11:50:03 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would prefer the #2 seed.  First, it gives us home court.  That's important not only because of the competitive advantage that it provides, but also because home games provide a significant amount of revenue to the team, which may lead to the team being more aggressive in free agency (or at least retaining its own players). 

Additionally, while I'd probably rather play Philly than Detroit, Philly is the type of athletic / running team that can give us trouble.  Additionally, there's no guarantee that Philly ends up with the #6 seed; they could easily move up to #5, leaving us with D. Wade in the first round.

All things considered, I'd prefer the #2 seed.  However, Orlando is healthier down the stretch, and I'd rather give our players the time they need to rest than to go all out for victories.

Ehh, I'm not concerned with the financial stuff so much. So would you prefer the C's to go 7 games in every series that home court is obtained? I'll take the easiest possible path to advance and win another championship, revenue will take care of itself.

In terms of revenue, the more home gains the better.  The more series we have home court in, the more home games we're likely to have.

Also, as explained above, I don't believe that having to play more games in Orlando gives us the "easiest possible path to advance".  Sure, Detroit could upset Orlando in the first round, but I don't think it's very likely, despite the season record.

But Roy, I'm basing my premise on the Pistons defeating Magic giving us Home advantage in the 2nd round anyway... clearly it comes down to your belief that the magic will win round 1. Put it into percentages, how sure are you? Based on this season and the past 2 postseasons I'm 60% sure the Pistons win that 1st round matchup... they just seem to have their number.

I'd rather not rely on contingencies like "The Pistons will beat the Magic so the Celts will have home court in Round 2".  I want home court in round 2 REGARDLESS of how the other series fares. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 11:50:26 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Never underestimate any team.
(See 2007 Mavs)

I don't think I'm underestimating any team. I just think the Celtics are better off not "hitting" while holding 14 because percentages say the dealer will bust.(Blackjack analogy)

If we do get the 3 seed and beat Philly in the first round, who do we play in the 2nd round? 

We would play the Magic or the Pistons

That's more like it  ;)

ACF, this is over my head man.

ahhhhhhhh, I get it. no guarantees

Precisely.

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I'm concerned that the Pistons, like an injured wolf, would be able to summon up one last old-time effort, if they end up playing the Cs.  I'm almost as wary of them as I am of the Magic.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I would prefer the #2 seed.  First, it gives us home court.  That's important not only because of the competitive advantage that it provides, but also because home games provide a significant amount of revenue to the team, which may lead to the team being more aggressive in free agency (or at least retaining its own players). 

Additionally, while I'd probably rather play Philly than Detroit, Philly is the type of athletic / running team that can give us trouble.  Additionally, there's no guarantee that Philly ends up with the #6 seed; they could easily move up to #5, leaving us with D. Wade in the first round.

All things considered, I'd prefer the #2 seed.  However, Orlando is healthier down the stretch, and I'd rather give our players the time they need to rest than to go all out for victories.

Ehh, I'm not concerned with the financial stuff so much. So would you prefer the C's to go 7 games in every series that home court is obtained? I'll take the easiest possible path to advance and win another championship, revenue will take care of itself.

In terms of revenue, the more home gains the better.  The more series we have home court in, the more home games we're likely to have.

Also, as explained above, I don't believe that having to play more games in Orlando gives us the "easiest possible path to advance".  Sure, Detroit could upset Orlando in the first round, but I don't think it's very likely, despite the season record.

But Roy, I'm basing my premise on the Pistons defeating Magic giving us Home advantage in the 2nd round anyway... clearly it comes down to your belief that the magic will win round 1. Put it into percentages, how sure are you? Based on this season and the past 2 postseasons I'm 60% sure the Pistons win that 1st round matchup... they just seem to have their number.

I'd rather not rely on contingencies like "The Pistons will beat the Magic so the Celts will have home court in Round 2".  I want home court in round 2 REGARDLESS of how the other series fares. 

I would agree with you if injuries, rest and timing weren't issues. Those factors push my preference toward the 3rd seed. that is of course assuming the Magic and Pistons match up
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free

I completely agree.  Why depend on the Pistons winning that series to get homecourt in the second round when you can do it yourself.  I don't see why you would want to play the Pistons over the magic.  Not that I'm overly concerned that the Pistons would beat us but it's more that I'm not concerned that the magic would beat us either.  Either way, third or second seed, I think we make the ECF and have a hell of a series with the Cavs.  At the end of the day, we have no idea how seeds 5, 6, 7 or 8 are going to work out, so let's handle what we can. 

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Orlando is one of the best teams at home in the league.  I want homecourt advantage.  I agree I want to take of it ourselves instead of relying on a different team to win a playoff series against a very good team.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Boom, Dona nails it.

Further, I'm not sure how valid the "They've got their number" will be this season because both of these teams - but especially Detroit - are quite different from what they were in prior seasons.  I don't think this is Spurs-Suns, despite how terrified some Magic fans may be of that matchup.

That said, JSaad, I agree with the idea of not sacrificing health to pursue home floor, especially since I believe that a healthy Celts team eliminates the Magic no matter what.  But presuming they aren't mutually exclusive goals (being healthy, making the two seed - and I don't think they are mutually exclusive necessarily), I can't say I'd prefer the third seed.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 05:30:08 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Agreed with Donoghus and Steve. This matchups planning never works; just give me the best seed possible, and that's the #2.

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 08:51:27 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Boom, Dons nails it.

-sw

Fixed.  Sorry, Dons...I'm a typographically challenged fool.  Not intentional, I assure you.   :D

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Agreed with Donoghus and Steve. This matchups planning never works; just give me the best seed possible, and that's the #2.
Miami just lost and is now the sixth seed, a game behind Philly.

We really want to dodge D-Whistle. Plus Detroit is only a single game ahead of Chicago in the loss column for the 7th seed. They could easily be a lottery team....

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 11:14:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

Boom, Dons nails it.

-sw

Fixed.  Sorry, Dons...I'm a typographically challenged fool.  Not intentional, I assure you.   :D

-sw

No worries, Steve.  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 01:47:05 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
the only positive about finishing 3rd is that the Celtics proved in the playoffs last year that they are most successful when everyone counts them out.

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 08:57:27 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Miami just lost and is now the sixth seed, a game behind Philly.

We really want to dodge D-Whistle. Plus Detroit is only a single game ahead of Chicago in the loss column for the 7th seed. They could easily be a lottery team....

TP, you saved me a post. I was looking at the stands and remembered this thread. Just shows the danger of playing with these things.

The team just has to keep winning games. Winning is good and contagious - I'd rather enter the playoffs with a team in a winning streak than with Pierce with less 30 minutes on the floor.

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 10:44:53 AM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Why are we worrying about the first round and where we are seeded?? We are supposed to be the World Champions. We can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime.

How bout we let others worry about playing us.

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
2 Reasons:

1) It's looking more and more like Detroit will get the 7th seed. The Magic have been eliminated by the Pistons the last two seasons and are 0 - 3 against them this season. If the Pistons could knock the Magic out, the Celtics have an easy path to the ECF.

2) Lets get healthy, rested and more acclimated. With the 2nd seed no longer a goal the C's can focus on working key players back before the playoffs, resting and allowing Steph even more minutes to get his timing back heading into the playoffs.

What do you guys think?

Everything changed with last night's win over Charlotte, especially considering the long rest period after the Atlanta game and the fact that Orlando still has to play Cleveland (I hope Cleveland doesn't rest Lebron in that game..don't think they will because they are on a win streak).  Anyway, it's now, for the time being, very much worth going for the #2 seed.  If ORlando plays Detroit again, they'll stomp them this time. In general, I hope we avoid Miami and I hope Cleveland faces Charlotte, though Chicago might also make them work a bit...