Author Topic: I prefer the 3rd seed  (Read 8358 times)

I prefer the 3rd seed
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
2 Reasons:

1) It's looking more and more like Detroit will get the 7th seed. The Magic have been eliminated by the Pistons the last two seasons and are 0 - 3 against them this season. If the Pistons could knock the Magic out, the Celtics have an easy path to the ECF.

2) Lets get healthy, rested and more acclimated. With the 2nd seed no longer a goal the C's can focus on working key players back before the playoffs, resting and allowing Steph even more minutes to get his timing back heading into the playoffs.

What do you guys think?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: I prefer the 3rd seed
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:01:59 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Never underestimate any team.
(See 2007 Mavs)

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:02:19 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
2 Reasons:

1) It's looking more and more like Detroit will get the 7th seed. The Magic have been eliminated by the Pistons the last two seasons and are 0 - 3 against them this season. If the Pistons could knock the Magic out, the Celtics have an easy path to the ECF.

2) Lets get healthy, rested and more acclimated. With the 2nd seed no longer a goal the C's can focus on working key players back before the playoffs, resting and allowing Steph even more minutes to get his timing back heading into the playoffs.

What do you guys think?

I agree that the team shouldn't risk health to go after the #2 seed, but I would still prefer to get that seed.  No matter who we play, #2 is still an easier ride to the ECF than #3.  Also, the Bulls are only 1 game behind the Pistons and could take that #7 seed.  But whether we play Philly, Detroit or Chicago, I think we'll make short work of them if we're healthy.

That being said, I don't mind how the seeds are stacked up right now.  I think the Bulls match up good with the Cavs.  Not to say they'd win the series, or even a game, but I think they can give them problems.  Tyrus Thomas is one of the few players in this league whose athleticism can disrupt LeBron at times.  Also, the Detroit-Orlando factor has been noted a lot as well.

But no matter how it shakes out, I just want our team healthy on April 18th.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 11:03:51 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
If we do get the 3 seed and beat Philly in the first round, who do we play in the 2nd round? 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:07:04 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
At first, I thought the 3rd seed would be a bad spot for the Celtics. But I've made my mind and I think that it doesn't make much difference with the 2nd seed because given the current playoffs matchups the C's will face the Pistons or the Magic in the second round. 3rd seed isn't an "easy path". Detroit has struggled this year but we tend to forget how dangerous they are when they play hard. I'd even prefer the C's to play the Magic because, even if they are good, they don't have much experience and aren't "tough", and I think Boston has the intimidation factor against them.

I'd rather have 2nd seed than 3rd see but I agree that getting the team healthy is the priority so I hope that the team won't try too hard to get the 2nd seed if it's seems out of reach. Plus, Orlando and Detroit are two good road teams so HCA isn't that important but still I'd rather have it.

Bankshot > given the current matchups Boston will play either Orlando or Detroit in the 2nd round.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
If we do get the 3 seed and beat Philly in the first round, who do we play in the 2nd round? 

We would play the Magic or the Pistons

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I would prefer the #2 seed.  First, it gives us home court.  That's important not only because of the competitive advantage that it provides, but also because home games provide a significant amount of revenue to the team, which may lead to the team being more aggressive in free agency (or at least retaining its own players). 

Additionally, while I'd probably rather play Philly than Detroit, Philly is the type of athletic / running team that can give us trouble.  Additionally, there's no guarantee that Philly ends up with the #6 seed; they could easily move up to #5, leaving us with D. Wade in the first round.

All things considered, I'd prefer the #2 seed.  However, Orlando is healthier down the stretch, and I'd rather give our players the time they need to rest than to go all out for victories.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
(See 2007 Mavs)

I don't think I'm underestimating any team. I just think the Celtics are better off not "hitting" while holding 14 because percentages say the dealer will bust.(Blackjack analogy)

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I would prefer the #2 seed.  First, it gives us home court.  That's important not only because of the competitive advantage that it provides, but also because home games provide a significant amount of revenue to the team, which may lead to the team being more aggressive in free agency (or at least retaining its own players). 

Additionally, while I'd probably rather play Philly than Detroit, Philly is the type of athletic / running team that can give us trouble.  Additionally, there's no guarantee that Philly ends up with the #6 seed; they could easily move up to #5, leaving us with D. Wade in the first round.

All things considered, I'd prefer the #2 seed.  However, Orlando is healthier down the stretch, and I'd rather give our players the time they need to rest than to go all out for victories.

Ehh, I'm not concerned with the financial stuff so much. So would you prefer the C's to go 7 games in every series that home court is obtained? I'll take the easiest possible path to advance and win another championship, revenue will take care of itself.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd prefer the #2 seed.  I want home court in the second round.  I also think its extremely reasonable to assume that the Celtics can still get it.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Ehh, I'm not concerned with the financial stuff so much. So would you prefer the C's to go 7 games in every series that home court is obtained? I'll take the easiest possible path to advance and win another championship, revenue will take care of itself.

In terms of revenue, the more home gains the better.  The more series we have home court in, the more home games we're likely to have.

Also, as explained above, I don't believe that having to play more games in Orlando gives us the "easiest possible path to advance".  Sure, Detroit could upset Orlando in the first round, but I don't think it's very likely, despite the season record.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 11:38:26 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
(See 2007 Mavs)

I don't think I'm underestimating any team. I just think the Celtics are better off not "hitting" while holding 14 because percentages say the dealer will bust.(Blackjack analogy)

That's more like it  ;)

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Just to be clear: I think that a Piston/Magic match up is more valuable to the Celtics than advancing to the 2nd round with home court advantage because the Pistons will win that series. Obliviously if the Pistons drop to the 8th seed or move to the 6th the 3rd seed is no longer appealing. ;)

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 11:45:51 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

In terms of revenue, the more home gains the better.  The more series we have home court in, the more home games we're likely to have.

Also, as explained above, I don't believe that having to play more games in Orlando gives us the "easiest possible path to advance".  Sure, Detroit could upset Orlando in the first round, but I don't think it's very likely, despite the season record.

But Roy, I'm basing my premise on the Pistons defeating Magic giving us Home advantage in the 2nd round anyway... clearly it comes down to your belief that the magic will win round 1. Put it into percentages, how sure are you? Based on this season and the past 2 postseasons I'm 60% sure the Pistons win that 1st round matchup... they just seem to have their number.

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
(See 2007 Mavs)

That's more like it  ;)

ACF, this is over my head man.

Edit: ahhhhhhhh, I get it. no guarantees