Author Topic: Who has impressed you at the NCAA's  (Read 8823 times)

Who has impressed you at the NCAA's
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Now that we are down to four teams and have an okay sampling of games to go by and watch, who for you has been impressive and who do you think has improved their stock for the draft or for future drafts.

Here's my three choices:

1.) Sherron Collins - just an outstanding tourney. He can score, he can dish, he can rebound. He's fearless and he is as strong as an ox. Typically PGs of his stature, with his skill set of always needing the ball in his hands don't translate well to the NBA game, but I think the kid has guts and a drive that few coming out in the draft might have. If he comes out, he might not be 1st round material but would make a heck of a second round pick if Danny could swing a trade.

2.) Hasheem Thabeet - yeah, I know, he's already highly thought of but, I think he's grown since last years tourney and has been just a defensive and rebounding beast in this tournament. Unlike Roy Hibbert, I think Thabeet has the quickness and skills that will translate into an excellent NBA big man. His upside is huge given his lack of time playing the game and learning all the nuances. I think he's been very impressive and really solidified his standing in the draft.

3.) Goran Suton - the tourney is the first time all year that I've gotten to watch him and even though he's probably a bit small and a bit slow for trying to be an NBA center, I gotta say, he's put on a hell of a show. Simply put he has outplayed any man put up against him in this tourney and been THE reason MSU is in the Final Four. He may have just convinced a GM to take a late 1st round or second round flyer on him.

Re: Who has impressed you at the NCAA's
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 01:24:09 PM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Blake Griffon.  Dude's a beast.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 01:42:45 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Hmm,

1. Ty Lawson. Picked against UNC because I thought he wasn't going to healthy, but man was that wrong. He is great at picking his spots and looks to be an outstanding shooter who always comes through.

2. Sam Young. This guy is going to be a legit NBA Player. Can shoot, block shots, drive, finish, defend. Has all the tools.

3. Flynn. Yea, he had a great Big East tourney, too, so maybe his stock didn't go any higher than it already was, but I thought he was very impressive for the Cuse. Good finisher for his size, too.

4. Derozan. I'm not completely sold on the guy, but he helped his stock out immensely in that BC game. He was all over the court and has all world athleticism.

5. Cole Aldrich. Guy is a solid big man. Doesn't have star potential, but he will be in an NBA rotation in 1-2 years.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:50:10 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
The UNC team.

I hate UNC, but I have to give them their due.  They have played great.

I also am impressed with the UConn team.  Without Dyson, I never thought they'd go this far.

I am pulling for UConn at this point.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I was also wondering about Suton, Nick.  If he has decent measurements at the draft camps, he could move up the boards.  I'm sure Chad Ford will be commenting on his status any day now.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Add me to the list that was impressed by Sam Young.  I was at the Pitt Nova game, and even though Nova is going to Detroit, Pitt left the bigger impression.  I think Blair will make a good backup big man for some team, although his ceiling probably isn't much higher than that unless he finds a jumpshot.  Sam Young, however, was the best player on the court.  He has everything:  a jumpshot, a game going to the basket, good defense, ridiculous athleticism.  While Blair gets all the media attention, I really think Sam Young will be the better player in the NBA. 

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
Add me to the list that was impressed by Sam Young.  I was at the Pitt Nova game, and even though Nova is going to Detroit, Pitt left the bigger impression.  I think Blair will make a good backup big man for some team, although his ceiling probably isn't much higher than that unless he finds a jumpshot.  Sam Young, however, was the best player on the court.  He has everything:  a jumpshot, a game going to the basket, good defense, ridiculous athleticism.  While Blair gets all the media attention, I really think Sam Young will be the better player in the NBA. 

I was there too --- what a great game. 
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Blake Griffon.  Dude's a beast.

Yea this kids going to be a stud in the NBA. Has the size and speed to be beast down low and running the wing. I think he'll be a better Kenyon Martin (pre-injury) or better Al Horford. Lock to be the 1rst pick.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 03:23:19 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Jeff Adrien for Uconn gets no love but I think he's got that size to be a decent pro.

Looked really good in that Texas A&M game but couldn't hit that same shot in the Purdue game.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Seconding Sherron Collins - I liked the Tim Hardaway comparison the announcer made.  Obviously I'm not saying he'll be as good, but his game/build is similar.

Blake Griffin is obvious, he's got that freaky Shaq/LeBron "A guy this big shouldn't move this fast" athleticism.  He's gonna be a good one.

Ty Lawson showed not just his ability but his leadership over the last 2 weeks.  That's a UNC team with 5 or 6 future pros on it that would probably seriously underachieve without him.  Ed Davis is gonna be a monster in a year or two as well.

The guy I'm most intrigued by (but wasn't particularly impressed by) is Terrence Williams at Louisville.  Guy's got an NBA body and athleticism, and the most diverse skillset this side of Danny Green, but he struggles to score and seems to shy from big shots.  He's almost got a little of that KG mindset where he'd rather enable his teammates than carry the show himself.  I'm really curious to see how he turns out in the NBA.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 03:32:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Seconding Sherron Collins - I liked the Tim Hardaway comparison the announcer made.  Obviously I'm not saying he'll be as good, but his game/build is similar.

Blake Griffin is obvious, he's got that freaky Shaq/LeBron "A guy this big shouldn't move this fast" athleticism.  He's gonna be a good one.

Ty Lawson showed not just his ability but his leadership over the last 2 weeks.  That's a UNC team with 5 or 6 future pros on it that would probably seriously underachieve without him.  Ed Davis is gonna be a monster in a year or two as well.

The guy I'm most intrigued by (but wasn't particularly impressed by) is Terrence Williams at Louisville.  Guy's got an NBA body and athleticism, and the most diverse skillset this side of Danny Green, but he struggles to score and seems to shy from big shots.  He's almost got a little of that KG mindset where he'd rather enable his teammates than carry the show himself.  I'm really curious to see how he turns out in the NBA.
Color me unimpressed with Terrance Williams. The kid just doesn't seem to get it at times and can disappear on occasions.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 03:53:10 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I haven't been able to watch much college hoops this year, but from what little I've seen of the tournament I think Tyreke Evans will be an absolute steal in the late first round (as predicted by NBADraft.net). He can legitimately play both guard positions due to his great handle and ability to set up teammates/court vision. He has legit size for the off-guard (6'6") with plenty of quickness and athleticism to go with an uncanny knack for scoring the ball. I think he will turn into a real asset for some team. I also like what I saw of Cole Aldrich, but I think others see his potential so he is not really a sleeper. I didn't see DeMarre Carroll of Missouri listed on NBADraft.net and he is a senior, so I suspect he is not expected to get drafted. I liked what I saw from him on both sides of the court. He really seemed to be a smart, physical player who knows how to make his team better. I could see him being a real nice bench/energy player in the league.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

3.) Goran Suton - the tourney is the first time all year that I've gotten to watch him and even though he's probably a bit small and a bit slow for trying to be an NBA center, I gotta say, he's put on a hell of a show. Simply put he has outplayed any man put up against him in this tourney and been THE reason MSU is in the Final Four. He may have just convinced a GM to take a late 1st round or second round flyer on him.
[/quote]

This guy looked great in the game I saw. He's huge also. Nice stroke from anywhere. I'd take this guy anywhere in the second round or even the end of the 1st. Would be a good buy for Danny in the 2nd round. I can't find this guy in any of the mock drafts I looked at, but he should go somewhere.

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Kemba Walker and Dante Cunningham

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 10:12:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Color me unimpressed with Terrance Williams. The kid just doesn't seem to get it at times and can disappear on occasions.

Yeah, that's what interests me.  He's got NBA talent, athleticism, and size, and is very versatile - in the Big East tourney final he had 11 pts, 7 reb, 6 ast, and 7 steals - but he seems clueless at times.  I'm not impressed with him, but I'm curious to see if he puts it together or is just a head case.