Author Topic: injured players resulting in losses?  (Read 4293 times)

injured players resulting in losses?
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:02:33 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
can someone crunch these numbers for me?  I mentioned this on the front page but I'll repeat in here

I’d like to see a breakdown of who was injured during each of our losses. Might be tough to gather just from box scores because some in-game injuries led to losses.

If I have time I’ll do it, but if someone wants to save me the time I’d be happy to give credit where it is due.

thanks
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: injured players resulting in losses?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I'll definitely give the first TP to the person that can do this. I'm with Jeff, though.  There HAS to be a relationship between the two.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here goes:

1.  November 1, 2008 (Pacers):  No key players missed entire game.

2.  November 14, 2008 (Nuggets):  No key players missed entire game.

3.  December 25, 2008 (Lakers): No key players missed entire game (but I remember Perk was banged up -- I think he hurt his shoulder during the game)

4.  December 26, 2008 (Warriors):  Perk missed the game

5.  December 30, 2008 (Blazers):  No key players missed entire game.

6.  January 4, 2009 (Knicks):  No key players missed entire game.

7.  January 6, 2009 (Bobcats):  No key players missed entire game.

8.  January 7, 2009 (Rockets):  No key players missed entire game.

9.  January 9, 2009 (Cavaliers):  No key players missed entire game.

10. February 5, 2009 (Lakers):  Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

11.  February 8, 2009 (Spurs):  Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

12.  February 19, 2009 (Jazz):  Tony Allen missed the game; KG was injured in this game and missed the second half.

13.  February 25, 2009 (Clippers):  Kevin Garnett, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

14.  March 1, 2009 (Pistons):  Kevin Garnett, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

15.  March 8, 2009 (Magic):  Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

16.  March 11, 2009 (Heat):  Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Glen Davis, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

17.  March 15, 2009 (Bucks):   Kevin Garnett, Glen Davis, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

18.  March 17, 2009 (Bulls):   Kevin Garnett, Glen Davis, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game; Leon Powe got injured.

19.  March 25, 2009 (Magic):   Kevin Garnett,  Leon Powe, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

There may be some in-game injuries that I overlooked, and it's always good to fact check lists like this.  Thank God for lunch breaks, huh?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:07:10 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:24:05 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
So after viewing the actual data, what are your thoughts on this?  Did you think the number would be higher, lower, etc?

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:29:58 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Interesting.  So really the healthy Cs had that one slip up stretch in January, and it's been injuries all the way since.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:33:17 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
Here goes:

1.  November 1, 2008 (Pacers):  No key players missed entire game.

2.  November 14, 2008 (Nuggets):  No key players missed entire game.

3.  December 25, 2008 (Lakers): No key players missed entire game (but I remember Perk was banged up -- I think he hurt his shoulder during the game)

4.  December 26, 2008 (Warriors):  Perk missed the game

5.  December 30, 2008 (Blazers):  No key players missed entire game.

6.  January 4, 2009 (Knicks):  No key players missed entire game.

7.  January 6, 2009 (Bobcats):  No key players missed entire game.

8.  January 7, 2009 (Rockets):  No key players missed entire game.

9.  January 9, 2009 (Cavaliers):  No key players missed entire game.

10. February 5, 2009 (Lakers):  Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

11.  February 8, 2009 (Spurs):  Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

12.  February 19, 2009 (Jazz):  Tony Allen missed the game; KG was injured in this game and missed the second half.

13.  February 25, 2009 (Clippers):  Kevin Garnett, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

14.  March 1, 2009 (Pistons):  Kevin Garnett, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

15.  March 8, 2009 (Magic):  Kevin Garnett, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

16.  March 11, 2009 (Heat):  Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Glen Davis, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

17.  March 15, 2009 (Bucks):   Kevin Garnett, Glen Davis, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

18.  March 17, 2009 (Bulls):   Kevin Garnett, Glen Davis, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game; Leon Powe got injured.

19.  March 25, 2009 (Magic):   Kevin Garnett,  Leon Powe, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine missed the game.

There may be some in-game injuries that I overlooked, and it's always good to fact check lists like this.  Thank God for lunch breaks, huh?

awesome - if you wanted to make a front page post about this, you are welcome to - otherwise I'll do some quick analysis tomorrow

by my count, that looks like 10 losses where we were missing a starter (usually KG or Perk) - that sure seems significant

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:47:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm not sure that any of the first 11 losses can be contributed to players missing game. Either the team was healthy or played like crap. But from Feb. 19th on I think a case can be made that this team may have won as many as 6-7 of those games if the team was healthy.

Here's the thing though. At this time of year, everyone is banged up and everyone has had or has someone significant out of the lineup. Wallace in Cleveland, Bynum in LA, Ginobelli in SA, Nelson in Orlando. Every one of the top teams has had injury, although to be fair to the Celtics, not to the extent the C's have had since mid February.

Let's just hope that at the very least we can get a healthy and rested KG and Leon back for the playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
I'm not sure that any of the first 11 losses can be contributed to players missing game. Either the team was healthy or played like crap. But from Feb. 19th on I think a case can be made that this team may have won as many as 6-7 of those games if the team was healthy.

Here's the thing though. At this time of year, everyone is banged up and everyone has had or has someone significant out of the lineup. Wallace in Cleveland, Bynum in LA, Ginobelli in SA, Nelson in Orlando. Every one of the top teams has had injury, although to be fair to the Celtics, not to the extent the C's have had since mid February.

Let's just hope that at the very least we can get a healthy and rested KG and Leon back for the playoffs.

agreed - as one person over twitter mentioned to me "Utah says give me a break"

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 03:19:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
awesome - if you wanted to make a front page post about this, you are welcome to - otherwise I'll do some quick analysis tomorrow

I'll defer to you on this one, Jeff.  I've been too busy lately to write anything of any substance.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

agreed - as one person over twitter mentioned to me "Utah says give me a break"

No kidding, right?

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Since injuries always happen (and we have wins against injured teams) I think this kind of analysis only seems sensible if we are talking about teams that will be healthy for the playoffs. That means Jameer Nelson is not worth mentioning. Boozer is worth counting, since the Utah win total might not represent their true strength come playoff time.

The jury is still out on Bynum. I'll believe he's coming back when he's back.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 04:41:55 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

I'll defer to you on this one, Jeff.  I've been too busy lately to write anything of any substance.
I definitely gave the promised TP.  There is of course no guarantee that we wouldn't have lost some of these games with or without healthy lineups, but there certainly seems to be a relationship between injuries and losses once multiple players began missing multiple games.  Not a surprise.

This, more than anything, should make us feel good if we have the full group back healthy come playoffs time.