Author Topic: Celtics (54-19) at Hawks (42-30) 3/27  (Read 24640 times)

Celtics (54-19) at Hawks (42-30) 3/27
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:17:57 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at   

Boston Celtics (54-19) at Atlanta Hawks (42-30)
Friday, March 27
7:30 PM
Game #74, Road Game #39
TV:   NBA-TV, SportsSouthHD, CSNHD
Phillips Arena

Probable Starters
  PG  Rajon Rondo  PPG 11.9 RPG 5.30 APG 8.5
(although Rondo says he expects to play and probably will, he should sit and get his ankles healthy)

SG Ray Allen  PPG 18.5 RPG 3.50 APG 2.7

SF  Paul Pierce   PPG 20.1 RPG 5.80 APG 3.7

PF Kevin Garnett  16.0 RPG 8.50 APG 2.6

C Kendrick Perkins Perkins PPG 8.6 RPG 8.10 BPG 1.9

Reserves
Tony Allen
Glen Davis
Eddie House
Gabe Pruitt
Bill Walker
Mikki Moore
Stephon Marbury

Injuries:
Leon Powe (knee)  out
Tony Allen (thumb) out
Brian Scalabrine (head)  out

Probable Starters
  PG Mike Bibby PPG 14.9 RPG 3.60 APG 5.0

SG Joe Johnson  PPG 21.7 RPG 4.40 APG 5.9   

SF  Mo Evans   PPG 6.9 RPG 2.90 APG 0.7 

PF Josh Smith   PPG 15.0 RPG 7.20 APG 2.5   

C  Al Horford  PPG 11.5 RPG 9.20 APG 2.6 

Reserves
Acie Law
Solomon Jones
Flip Murray
Othello Hunter
Randolph Morris
Mario West
Thomas Gardner
Zaza Pachulia

Injuries

Speedy Claxton (knee) out
Marvin Williams (back) out
Acie Law (back)  day to day

Key Matchups
  vs 
     Rondo will face an old foe in Mike Bibby.  Bibby was very vocal about the Celtics fans during the playoffs, calling them bandwagon fans.  Rondo has admitted to having two sprained ankles but has said that he plans to play in this one.  How effective he can be with sore ankles is yet to be seen.  The Celtics would be wise to sit him and let Marbury get the extra minutes. 

vs 
Joe Johnson loves to take it to his former team.  He can put up points in a hurry and Ray Allen will need to work on defense to try to keep Johnson from going off.  Johnson is averaging 24 points against the Celtics this season and has held Ray Allen to 17 ppg in their two meetings. 

Honorable Mention
Kevin Garnett vs Josh Smith
This is a very tough matchup for both teams.  When he is healthy, KG can out-play Smith, or at least, play him to a standstill.  With KG still playing limited minutes, it will be up to Big Baby to stop Smith who can take over a game if the Celtics let him. 

Team Connections:
Doc Rivers played for the Hawks from '83-'91 and holds the Hawks' record for assists with 3866
Celtics' assistant Armond Hill played for the Hawks '76-80 and '83-'84
Rajon Rondo and Josh Smith were teammates at Oak Hill Academy
Joe Johnson was drafted by the Celtics with the 10th pick in the 2001 draft
Mike Bibby and Eddie House are brothers in law
Rajon Rondo and Randolph Morris were teammates at Kentucky
Al Horford and Big Baby Davis played against each other in the 2006 Final Four
Hawks Assistant Alton Lister played for the Celtics from '95-'97
Mo Evans and KG were teammates in Minnesota

Game Notes
The Hawks are one of those teams that give the Celtics matchup problems.  They are young and athletic and have given the Celtics problems in the past.  They took the Celtics to 7 games in the first round of the playoffs, surprising many fans on both sides.  In the first meeting between these two teams, the Celtics barely squeaked by the Hawks with a 103-102 win in the Garden but it took Paul Pierce coming out of the booth as Superman and hitting a fallaway jumper with 0.5 seconds left to win the game.

In their first meeting, the Hawks were playing in the second of back to back games and they were playing without Josh Smith and yet the Celtics barely beat them.    In the second meeting in Atlanta, the Celtics once again barely beat the Hawks 88-85. with both teams at full strength.  The Celtics were unable to beat the Hawks in Atlanta during the playoffs but did pull out a win there in the regular season. 

The Hawks are a good home team with a 28-8 record there.  The Celtics are 25-13 on the road.  The Celtics are just 5-5 in their last 10 games while the Hawks are 8-2 in their last 10.  Both teams are coming off a loss that ended a win streak.  Atlanta is solidly in the 4th spot in the East 11.5 games behind the Celtics and 3.5 games in front of Miami.  The Celtics and Magic are battling for the second and 3rd seeds with the Celtics just percentage points behind the Magic.

Keys to the Game
Defense  While the Celtics have shown signs of getting their trademark defense back in place, it is still in spurts.  The Celtics must regain their defensive intensity if they want to win this game and if they want to return to the NBA Finals.

Take Care of the Ball   The Celtics are still way too sloppy with the basketball and turn it over way too much.  They need to get their focus right and cut down on the turnovers.  A team like the Hawks who love to run will make them pay with points off turnovers.

Killer Instinct  The Celtics don't seem to have that killer instinct that made them so formidable last season.  They either let teams get out to big leads and then have to dig their way out of a hole or, when they get a big lead, they let teams back into it.  They must get that killer instinct back where they come out strong and keep the pedal to the metal for 48 minutes to put teams away.   

X-Factor
Focus
The Celtics seem to lose their focus at times in games and stop moving the ball with each player trying to take over the game himself.  They also lose their defensive focus at times especially on the road.  They need to keep their focus on team play and on defense.   
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:05:08 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (54-19) at Hawks (42-30) 3/28
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:20:53 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
TP Fl.

Ha I beat Bolt.... ;D

I want to see how good Atlanta will be this year
teams are geetting into playoff mode
I love that...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Re: Celtics (54-19) at Hawks (42-30) 3/28
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP Fl.

Ha I beat Bolt.... ;D

If we win, you need to beat me EVERY time  ;)

Re: Celtics (54-19) at Hawks (42-30) 3/27
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP for the preview!

I don't expect the C's to win this game, and it should confort Orlando's 2nd seed but I'd be happy if Doc rests Rondo for this game (two sprained ankles and still playing? come on!).

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks for the TP's

Doc says that both Rondo and KG are game time decisions.  I'm thinking that if there is any question at all they should both sit.  Being healthy for the playoffs is the top priority and if either one is hurting enough to make it a game time decision they shouldn't be playing.   Sit them until there is no question that they are healthy enough to play. 

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:07:18 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
win tonight and continue to play for the 2 seed....lose tonight and take the 3 and rest player from this point forward...i think boston loses tonight but i hope to be proved wrong

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »

Offline Txusberg

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Since the Hawks are #4 seed no matter what, far from us at #3 seed and far from Miami or Philly at the #5 spot , I don't think they have the urgency they need to beat us, as far as an extra motivation or mental factor. We need this game more than they do in order to get #2 spot and the HCA against Orlando. But having RR and KG not 100% , I wouldn't put them in risk in order to get that #2 seed. So I say, lets rest RR a couple of games and keep KG minutes according to the plan and let's play Marbury extended minutes with the 1st unit, at least for us to know if he is capable of doing it coming playoff time and be part of the rotation. If He doesn't show any sign of improvement, at least we will know that we can't count on him and we will have one less question mark.
Anyway, let's go Celts!!

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 05:51:35 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I hope Rondo sits this one out so his ankles have time to heal. There's not much time left till the playoffs. I won't be bummed by a loss tonight. I just want them to play well for 4 quarters and everyone to stay healthy. Also hoping Marbs and/or Moore will have a great game. Go Celtics!
TP for the game thread.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
looks like no KG...according to my paul pierce update on facebook:

Paul Pierce:
 Tough loss last game vs Orlando gonna try to bounce back vs atlanta gonna be tough tho with KG out and Rondo hurting but will probably play tho been a rough season with injury I just hope we r healthy for the playoffs well gotta go . Listening to some Eminem right now getting ready for the game ill holla lata...

and the globe confirms it:

ATLANTA -- Kevin Garnett will not play tonight against the Hawks, with Glen Davis his replacement in the starting lineup. Rajon Rondo will start for the Celtics tonight at point guard.

More to come.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 07:06:18 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Bummer. So its back to Moore and Walker as the back up bigs.
I feel so bad for the team. I think they could have weathered KG's injury if all the back-up PFs hadn't gotten injured while he was out.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
mikki moore will have 4 fouls by the half....bank on it

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 07:10:29 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
More Walker.... Lots more Walker....

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I don't get why Rondo is still playing.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 07:29:44 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Big Baby against Jash Smith could be a fun match up to watch. Can Baby keep a body on him and out of the paint or will we see a dunk competition. I think that match up will be the difference in the game and I think it is a tough one Good Luck Big Baby.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
I didn't have a good feeling about this game even before I heard about KG.

As far as Rondo, when I was 23 I could sprain my ankle and play again two days later, but everybody's different.

I'm not getting my hopes up here.