Author Topic: Celtics (52-18) at Grizzlies (17-51) 3/21  (Read 20400 times)

Celtics (52-18) at Grizzlies (17-51) 3/21
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:51:49 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11843
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at 
Boston Celtics (52-18) at  Memphis Grizzlies (17-51)
Saturday, March 21
8:00 PM
Game #71, Road Game #37
TV: NBA TV CSN HD, FSN South HD
Fed Ex Forum   

Home of the Memphis Grizzlies, the FedEx Forum is one of the newest arenas in the NBA. The Grizzlies have a short history as they became an expansion franchise in 1995 in Vancouver, Canada. The team spent six season in Vancouver, never having a winning season. Their lack of success showed at games as few fans attended games. The team was bought by Michael Heisley in 2000 with the assumption that the team would stay in Vancouver. However after the 2000-01 season the team moved to Memphis. The Memphis Grizzlies played at the Pyramid for three seasons.

A new state of the art arena was constructed in the southern area of downtown Memphis for the Grizzlies. FedEx Corporation, whose headquarters are in Memphis, purchased the naming rights to the arena, thus getting its name FedEx Forum. Built at a cost of $250 million, the arena was financed through public bonds by the Memphis Public Building Authority. Fans have many options for seating as the FedEx Forum has five levels of seating with just over 18,000 seats. It has 22 courtside suites, 32 club seats and 80 club boxes. The arena was designed with a Memphis theme that shows the history of music throughout the concourses of the building. Themed areas through the concourses include the Radio and Recording Zone. Public art by local artists display paintings of the area’s music history. The FedEx Forum has many amenities including a team store, the Jack Daniels Grill that is a casual sports bar and a premium restaurant.

Coach: Doc Rivers
Average Age: 26.4
Average Height: 6-6
Average Weight: 223

Probable Starters

Rajon Rondo/Ray Allen/Paul Pierce Pierce/Kevin Garnett/Kendrick  Perkins

Reserves

Mikki Moore
Stephon Marbury
Eddie House
Gabe Pruitt
Bill Walker
Glen Davis

Injuries:
Tony Allen (thumb) out
Kevin Garnett (knee) probable
Brian Scalabrine (head)  out
Leon Powe (knee)  out
Rajon Rondo (ankle) probable
Ray Allen (elbow)  probable

D-League
JR Giddens   

Coach: Lionel Hollins
Average Age: 25.2
Average Height: 6-7
Average Weight: 225

Probable Starters

Mike Conley/OJ Mayo/ Rudy Gay/ Darrell Arthur/ Marc Gasol

Reserves
Darko Milicic
Hakim Warrick
Darius Miles
Quinton Ross
Greg Buckner
Marko Jaric

Injuries
Chris Mihm (ankle) out
Mike Wilks (ACL) out
Darko Milicic (back) game time decision
Greg Buckner (knee) game time decision

D-League
Hamad Haddadi

Key Matchups
vs
Paul Pierce vs Rudy Gay
Rudy Gay has been one of the bright spots for the Grizzlies this season.  Paul Pierce has been carrying the Celtics in the absence of his injured teammates.  This should be a tough matchup for both teams. 

vs
Ray Allen vs OJ Mayo
Mayo has been on the national radar since high school and is a very promising young player and very athletic.  Ray needs to use his veteran wiles to get the better of this matchup. 

Honorable Mention
Kendrick Perkins vs Marc Gasol
Gasol has been playing well and Perk needs to be physical inside to keep him from getting easy baskets.  Gasol has a height advantage, but Perk has a strength advantage. 

Team Connections 
Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace was the Celtics GM from 1997-2007 (and made some of the worst deals in Celtics' history)
Rudy Gay and Ray Allen are former UConn Huskies
Darrell Arthur and Paul Pierce are former Kansas Jayhawks
OJ Mayo, Gabe Pruitt, and Brian Scalabrine are all former USC Trojans
OJ Mayo and Bill Walker were teammates at Huntington High School
Kendrick Perkins was drafted by the Grizzlies in the 2003 draft and then traded to the Celtics in a draft day deal.
Kendrick Perkins would have attended the University of Memphis if he didn't enter the draft directly from high school
Darius Miles played for the Celtics during the preseason
Chris Mihm played for the Celtics in the '03-04 season

Game Notes
Both teams are playing in the second of back to back games.  Memphis comes in from a loss in  New Orleans and Boston comes in off a win in San Antonio.   With the Grizzlies sporting 3 rookies, a 2nd year player and a 3rd year player in their starting lineup, it seems as though this would favor the young Grizzlies over the older and banged up Celtics.

The Grizzlies are 12-23 at home while the Celtics are 23-12 on the road.  The Grizzlies are just 2-8 in their last 10 games. 

In the first meeting between these two teams Leon Powe had a career game with a career high 30 points and 5 blocks to go with his 11 rebounds.  With Powe out,  the Celtics will need someone else to step up in this game.

Both KG and Ray returned to the starting lineup against the Spurs.  Doc said that he would be watching for any stiffness or soreness from either to decide whether or not to play them in this game.  Rondo came up limping at one point in the Spurs game so it is evident that the ankle is still bothering him.   

X-Factor
Take Nothing for Granted
The Celtics beat the Grizzlies in their first meeting even though their roster was  depleted by injuries.  The Celtics can't take this team for granted even through they have 1 less win than the Celtics have losses.  The Grizzlies are a young, athletic and hungry team and could surprise the Celtics if they overlook them.

Re: Celtics (52-18) at Grizzlies (17-51) 3/21
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 12:14:06 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
TP FLCF!
I am fired up and ready to go for this game, and I hope the Cs are as well.  My guess is that Memphis is also fired up for this game, and will come out hard.  I know we are "elite" and they are "cellar", but I bet they will come out strong (but I do expect we will prevail in the end...).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 12:57:49 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Beware of the letdown, fellas.  Have a nice flight and be ready.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 01:36:02 AM »

Offline Txusberg

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
If we don't get the game for granted, I will be really surprise if tomorrow's game is not a W, most of all after having KG back and after beating the Spurs in their building. I hope it will be a blow out and we will be able to give some extra rest to the starters and players with minor injuries or physical problems: Rondo, Ray, Baby Davis and KG. Lets go Celt's!!

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 01:41:10 AM »

Offline Txusberg

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
How can I have Patty O'Brian assigned with my nickname when he is not part of our roster anymore?.Is It because i don't post often? :P
Anyway, let's win tomorrow and get the rhythm for the play offs!!

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 02:20:34 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Is there any possibility KG sits this one out since it's the second night of a back to back? I know KG will be pleading his case but, Doc might wanna play it safe.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 02:23:03 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP for FL.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 03:35:38 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
KG can play another 14 min or so, I think it's good for him to get in the rhythm.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 08:32:31 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11843
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Is there any possibility KG sits this one out since it's the second night of a back to back? I know KG will be pleading his case but, Doc might wanna play it safe.

Once again, thanks for the TP's You guys are great!

As for KG, in the post game press conference, Doc said he would be watching for any swelling or soreness and if there was any whatsoever, KG wouldn't play.  Same for Ray.  So, it will depend on how they are feeling after playing last night. 

I'm a bit worried about Rondo, too,   He came up limping again last night and clearly is still having problems with that ankle.  I know we need these games badly to stay ahead of Orlando, but a healthy Rondo is crucial to this team's post season. 

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 04:01:34 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
We need to be able to really play KG by orlando...i think we will see his minutes gradually increased tonight...you really think KG is going to sit out vs memphis? this will be good practice for him

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Another good tune up game for KG and the team as a whole. Should be a win but I hope we play well more than I hope we win. If we play well we will win but we could also play not so good and win. We really took care of the ball last night. I hope we can do the same tonight.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Will Ray be back tonight?

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
If Ray and KG play I think the Celtics will win. They'll continue on their flow after their victory in San Antonio and I expect Paul to have a great game since he played poorly last night.

I know that the team is diminished without Rondo but I'd like to see him rest because he seemed to injure his ankle again last night and the C's will be in real trouble if he is out for several weeks after an aggravation of his injury.

Anyway, go Celtics and thanks for the preview, TP as usual! 8)

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 06:12:33 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
yah i dont mind rondo taking a rest.
would like to see Steph play more minutes and take more shots with the second unit, he has not been taking many.

why wouldnt he play? he played last night
unless something happened that i don't know of

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 07:01:38 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
yah i dont mind rondo taking a rest.
would like to see Steph play more minutes and take more shots with the second unit, he has not been taking many.

why wouldnt he play? he played last night
unless something happened that i don't know of

Woops! Too fixated on KG's return...  :-[