Author Topic: WWE  (Read 163486 times)

Re: WWE
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i have slowly stopped watching wwe over the last few yrs, however i will order wrestlemania.  its always fun to watch every year!

im going to april's ppv, backlash.  it is at the dunkin donuts center in providence.  taking my little cousin.

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 09:26:02 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
WWF is dying a slow and painful death.

Since Angle, The Rock and Stone Cold's departures it's become repetitive, boring and the storylines are plain awful. Too many wrestlers, too many titles. That's what happens when you buy out your competition. Vince McMahon shot himself in the foot because I don't see wrestling lasting that much longer unless there are drastic changes.

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 09:32:26 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Since Angle, The Rock and Stone Cold's departures it's become repetitive, boring and the storylines are plain awful. Too many wrestlers, too many titles. That's what happens when you buy out your competition. Vince McMahon shot himself in the foot because I don't see wrestling lasting that much longer unless there are drastic changes.

yet they still maintain a hugely profitable buisness, aided by TNA sucking.

I don't think it will ever really die, it might get less popular, ala the early 90's, but eventually they'll come back up. To many people watch for it to ever truley cash out of network TV.

I mean, as you say, this has been a down year and they still pull in 6-7 mill viewers a show for the flagship shows. its a easy, safe slot for a network to have on.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 09:41:25 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I thought this was going to be about the NBA refs. :-\
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 10:18:29 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I stopped watching maybe 5 years ago, a little bit before the Rock called it a career. It wasn't that bad then, but when I tried to start watching again It was just horrible. I see enough just to barely know whats going on. It's become so predictable, and there is no real star power. Undertaker is getting old, Jericho is hunting down senior citizens, Triple H has no rival, Ray Mysterio turned into a high flying fat short guy, and there's the John Cena the gangsta white guy from springfield massachusetts  ::). It's also pretty sad that Kane is still basically a bottom feeder along the same tier as new guys like MVP, who makes me never want to watch wrestling ever again. No new faces, nothing really worth seeing.

I don't remember if it was always like this, but it also bugs me that the "bad guy" can't ever win unless he cheats. For example we already know Triple H is going to beat the snot out of Orton, or Orton will narrowly win in a match he was losing by cheating somehow.

Sidenote: WWE refs > NBA refs.

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 08:38:52 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Last nights raw was pretty good, i like that Y2J and lawler are fighting next week aftr chris kicked flair's butt, it gives em hope that a legand will be added to the storyline late thats worth fighting. My dream matchup would be Y2J vs austin with the other legands as lumberjacks or something similar.

I could have done without the undertaker watching hbk show him movies. We get it, shawn isn't intimidated, thanks. call me when th match is on.

Orton vs hunter was good, way to take another big bump for the team steph. I dunno though, orton just doesn't play the crazy pyscho card that well in my eyes. hunter and steph sold this bit though. good ehat in that matchup.

Im so tired of the john cena its not even funny, he's horrid on the mic and in the ring. they need a new over baby face ASAP.

P.S if anyone was blocked out from the game last night and saw the middle of the show, anything of note happen?

i caught the begining (yea halftime lol) and the end, but the clippers had to go and not get blown out so i missed the middle of the show  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:47:14 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 08:43:22 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I stopped watching maybe 5 years ago, a little bit before the Rock called it a career. It wasn't that bad then, but when I tried to start watching again It was just horrible. I see enough just to barely know whats going on. It's become so predictable, and there is no real star power. Undertaker is getting old, Jericho is hunting down senior citizens, Triple H has no rival, Ray Mysterio turned into a high flying fat short guy, and there's the John Cena the gangsta white guy from springfield massachusetts  ::). It's also pretty sad that Kane is still basically a bottom feeder along the same tier as new guys like MVP, who makes me never want to watch wrestling ever again. No new faces, nothing really worth seeing.

I don't remember if it was always like this, but it also bugs me that the "bad guy" can't ever win unless he cheats. For example we already know Triple H is going to beat the snot out of Orton, or Orton will narrowly win in a match he was losing by cheating somehow.

Sidenote: WWE refs > NBA refs.

I hate to agree with your sidenote, but I do. :-\
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
WWE is has had trouble in the last few years building new characters. Every pay-per-view is just some version of HHH, HBK, Taker, Cena, Edge, Y2J, Edge, and most recently Orton fighting each other. Where is all the new young talent? I don't watch as much anymore, but from what I've seen, guys like Festus and Kozlov could have been stars if promoted better. Also, TNA has some great talent like Styles and Samoa Joe but they won't come to the WWE because Vince McMahon will put them on ECW or make them carry HHH's bags. Until new talent comes in and refreshes the product, my interest level will be low.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 09:46:56 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
WWE is has had trouble in the last few years building new characters. Every pay-per-view is just some version of HHH, HBK, Taker, Cena, Edge, Y2J, Edge, and most recently Orton fighting each other. Where is all the new young talent? I don't watch as much anymore, but from what I've seen, guys like Festus and Kozlov could have been stars if promoted better. Also, TNA has some great talent like Styles and Samoa Joe but they won't come to the WWE because Vince McMahon will put them on ECW or make them carry HHH's bags. Until new talent comes in and refreshes the product, my interest level will be low.

TNA's other problem is it has WCW itis. As you said, they have some great talent, but outside of AJ, no one gets a shot at the top because its all older stars who can't really carry a match.

IT's WCW all over again, when WCW had all these top stars who couldn't wrestle anymore but enjoyed not commuting while getting massive $$$ (im looking at you top of the TNA roster) while the midcard divsion worked its butt off.

The only diffrence is TNA doesn't have a gimmick thats massively over (ala NWO) to hide the fact that its mid card should be pushed. remeber the days in WCW when the mid card was:

benoit
malenko
jericho
storm
kidman
ray ray
raven
booker T
eddie guerro

and a bunch of other guys im forgetting? yet they couldn't buy a non-mid card match due to the NWO vs. sting/goldbreg fued.

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
anyone here ever follow ROH (ring of honor)?  great stuff

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 11:23:25 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
So anybody watch Wrestlemania last night?  I didn't, but checked out some recaps and reviews, and it didn't seem like anything special unless you count a 10 minute Kid Rock concert.  Just wondering what people thought.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So anybody watch Wrestlemania last night?  I didn't, but checked out some recaps and reviews, and it didn't seem like anything special unless you count a 10 minute Kid Rock concert.  Just wondering what people thought.

Bad main event. 

Taker and Michaels stole the show. 

They had Cena be superman again. 

They had JBL job his way into retirement. 

Thank goodness I didn't pay.

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 11:33:41 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I didnt (they need to start running these events saterday. i have to work in the morning WWE.)

but from what ive read, HBK-Taker was an all time match, but since it was third from the M/E, it not only stole the show it killed the other two matches.

Also, they put the tag match on pre-show, and the report i read said it was the second best match fo the night, so there's another mistake.

Reviews seem pretty even in saying that the micky apperance was god awful, Hunter and orton put on a bland match with hunter keeping the belt, and they copped out and gave cena back the belt (because he is a horrid wrestler, and needs the belt to be over. at least hunter always gets to win because he's boinking the head of creative. Cena is just a awful wrestler but a great promo cutter, and to cut killer champ promo's, he needs to be the champ)

so, overall, a bad event sandwiched around one of the best matches in WM history (micheals-taker) hopefully that will leak to youtube soon so i can watch.

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
It was bad.  The last two wrestlemanias were much better.  Taker-HBK stole the show, but the person I was more impressed with was Ricky Steamboat, he was great.  He was amazing in the ring.  He showed hardly any rust at all.  Snuka and Piper were awful as expected.  Cena winning was expected, the match was decent, triple H-Randy Orton was just bad though.  The show surprised me quite a bit a actually because there was not one surprise.  No run ins, nothing at all. 
do it

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 01:18:55 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I watched Wrestling growing up, was a fan of Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Tito Santana, Texas Tornado, Legion of Doom, Bret Hart, Big Boss Man, etc (guys who were faces for good portions of their career).  Was a huge fan in the late 80's, early 90's.  I saw WrestleMania 1-10, then sort of fell off for a little while.  I started watching again in 1999, became a fan of Stone Cold, The Rock, D-Generation X, etc, saw Wrestlemania 15, 16 (WM 2000) & 17, to which I stopped watching shortly thereafter.  Storylines just got blown way out of proportion...I mean, you had the nWo come to the WWE after McMahon's WCW purchase...they attack the Rock & then have a Mack truck continuously ram in to the ambulance Rock was put in.  Just got too far fetched for me. The WWE had a more believable storyline in the early 90's with Ric Flair claiming he had a relationship with Ms. Elizabeth before Randy Savage did, or the match between the Mountie & the Big Boss Man at a Summerslam (i think) one year when the loser had to spend a night in jail...Obviously the loser didn't spend an actual night, but the point is, it was a story that could be believed.   I remember being a child and always believing it was real, and even when I heard it was fake, I still believed it was real...The sport definitely changed from being more about matches to more about the events leading up to the match.  I definitely agree that McMahon buying WCW sort of hurt him.  People love competition, having choices.  When you become the only option, you can decrease the quality of your product & still charge an arm & a leg. That's just my opinion, whereas to others, the "Attitude" era may be their preferred genre of wrestling storylines.  Like I said, I enjoyed it in from 99-2001 or so, but it eventually got too stupid for my taste.  Its funny someone posted a topic like this though.  I have been watching some classic stuff via YouTube in the last few weeks...definitely makes me miss a part of my youth, but I don't think I could get back into the whole thing again...watching Raw or Smackdown religiously.  Definitely was a good phase of my life, but just don't feel the same about it anymore. 

</param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s08UFYiY6vM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>