Author Topic: WWE  (Read 163268 times)

Re: WWE
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2014, 10:48:10 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I expected a physical match but gosh darn... Wow.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Brock dominated.

« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Brock dominated.

Was that the finish or did Cena got legit hurt and just called an audible? Wow, i mean Cena puts people over, but, man, Cena looking so weak? Something is up here...

That or Cena just sold that match to perfection.

« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Brock dominated.

Was that the finish or did Cena got legit hurt and just called an audible? Wow, i mean Cena puts people over, but, man, Cena looking so weak? Something is up here...

Yes, the next big "superstar" is going to be the one who beat Brock.  Until then, Brock kills everyone. 

« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2014, 10:59:53 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Brock dominated.

Yes, the next big "superstar" is going to be the one who beat Brock.  Until then, Brock kills everyone.

But that match felt, well, incomplete. Surely Cena could have mustered more offense than that. If that's the plan, boy, they sure did go very good to make Brock the indestructible force.

It just felt weird to me. Although, that was a 20 minute or so match, so it wasnt short. It felt exactly like the Taker match, you thought there's more, then finish.

Either way, Brock sure looked strong. Hope he's stays full time now.

« Reply #290 on: August 18, 2014, 02:32:58 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Nope, there's nothing weird about it. The plan for months has been for Cena to get Brock over and make him seem utterly unbeatable so that they can pass the torch to Roman Reigns and have him beat Lesnar at Wrestlemania with an absolute ton of buildup and hype. Sorry to let the cat out of the bag if you'd rather not know, but this is all a big plan to make Rock's nephew the next great one. It's common knowledge on wrestling podcasts, etc.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2014, 08:40:32 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Nope, there's nothing weird about it. The plan for months has been for Cena to get Brock over and make him seem utterly unbeatable so that they can pass the torch to Roman Reigns and have him beat Lesnar at Wrestlemania with an absolute ton of buildup and hype. Sorry to let the cat out of the bag if you'd rather not know, but this is all a big plan to make Rock's nephew the next great one. It's common knowledge on wrestling podcasts, etc.

Guess I just marked on how Cena sold the match like a champion. It just felt incomplete to me. I just cant possibly expect a squash match in the main event of the 2nd biggest show of the year.

I know that Brock was going to get over, but squashing the champion?

« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2014, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I see your point, but he's going to get it back. He always does. He demolished the Undertaker so I for one appreciate a little consistency for a change, it was definitely strange, though.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »

Offline SportsCanuck

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Brock dominated.

Cena just sold Brock as a legitimate bad-ass. It was the right move putting the WWE Title on Brock, it sells him strong after he ended the streak at WrestleMania. Anyone who defeats the Undertaker at WrestleMania should automatically receive a title shot.

"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer." - Larry Bird

« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2014, 02:29:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Brock dominated.

Cena just sold Brock as a legitimate bad-ass. It was the right move putting the WWE Title on Brock, it sells him strong after he ended the streak at WrestleMania. Anyone who defeats the Undertaker at WrestleMania should automatically receive a title shot.

Oh i agree. It'll actually make a better face superstar, whoever he is that will defeat Brock.

I just believe that they decded it'll be a squadh match. I love the outcome dont get me wrong. But Cena getting squashed made me speculate that he got legit hurt and just ended the match there.

Wow. Im still in awe of it.

« Reply #295 on: August 26, 2014, 01:02:18 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Don't follow a lot of the pods/commentary (besides Grantland and random Yahoo/Bleacher Report stuff), but that falls in line with what I thought would happen before the match, though I definitely didn't think it would be a squash. Reigns is going to be in line for the eventual title match for Wrestlemania, that's logical. However, I think they need to be careful with how predictable that plan is. As Lesnar's win against Undertaker was so effective because it was unexpected, another poor Cena showing would be just as ineffective due to the inevitability of it.

The other issue is that Cena is not a traditional top face in that a lot of smarks actually root against him. That combined with the fact that Heyman is so on his game right now is why people were actually cheering for Brock during that match and a lot of the promos before/after. If they're not careful they're going to turn Lesnar into a face during this program which might start to solidify. Heyman's mic skills are just too entertaining, especially when contrasted with Cena's bland and well-worn "never give up" cliches.

I accept that Reigns eventually will be the one to win the belt from Lesnar (he already beat Orton, what other top heel is there to win it from?) but I would love for it to be less predictable scenario. For instance, let's say Bryan didn't have to have Tommy John surgery and could be back in a few months. They could have done some scenario where multiple faces are vying for a shot at Brock.

The trick in storytelling is to get to the inevitable conclusion in an unexpected way. But hey, it's wrestling and things change all the time. People get hurt, or feuds/wrestlers don't get over as expected. I just think that this Cena/Lesnar feud will not have the expected effect the WWE is looking for.

« Reply #296 on: August 26, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Heyman's mic skills are just too entertaining, especially when contrasted with Cena's bland and well-worn "never give up" cliches.

Heyman has been so neutered by the WWE.  He sounds completely robotic and boring.  YouTube some of the Paul E. Dangerously stuff to see what he's truly capable of.  He appears to be so restricted to script that he comes across somebody carefully reading something for the first time.

« Reply #297 on: August 26, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Heyman's mic skills are just too entertaining, especially when contrasted with Cena's bland and well-worn "never give up" cliches.

Heyman has been so neutered by the WWE.  He sounds completely robotic and boring.  YouTube some of the Paul E. Dangerously stuff to see what he's truly capable of.  He appears to be so restricted to script that he comes across somebody carefully reading something for the first time.

Agreed.

If you enjoy PG Paul Heyman, you're going to love the unfiltered Paul. Not that he's not doing a phenomenal job right now, but he is being restricted by the PG era.

« Reply #298 on: August 29, 2014, 02:33:58 AM »

Offline SportsCanuck

• Oshae Brissett

I don't think Heyman is neutered by the WWE, he's just evloved as a heel and an effective manager who speaks intelligently on behalf of Brock Lesnar, which makes the fans hate him even more. He was intense in ECW, but that was a lifetime ago, he's older and wiser on how to help get Lesnar over.

"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer." - Larry Bird

« Reply #299 on: August 29, 2014, 02:37:29 AM »

Offline SportsCanuck

• Oshae Brissett

What irritates me about WWE is Vince and the writers are always nervous to take Cena off of television for more than one week, because it affects the company's TV ratings, (or so the company thinks) Cena coming back one week after SummerSlam basically devalued the story-line that Lesnar is unstoppable.