Author Topic: WWE  (Read 163564 times)

Re: WWE
« Reply #330 on: December 07, 2014, 01:05:11 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think Punk made a lot of great points about the problems inside WWE. Specifically:

1) Too much micromanagement and competing agendas among management.
2) Lack of any clear direction regarding booking.
3) Poor talent relations staff that is unknowledgeable about wrestling and also fail to actually represent the wrestler's concerns.
4) Too many writers and not enough wrestler input into promos/storylines.
5) Conflict between attempting to be a true 21st century corporation while still maintaining unprofessional traditional wrestling and family business-style practices.
6) Conflict of interest with doctors who are employed by the WWE.
7) Bad concussion policy.
8) Bad vacation policy.
9) Emphasis on former stars for PPV events when they don't necessarily still provide the best matches and usually have shoehorned-in storylines.
10) Lack of confidence in pushing new stars over old ones.
11) Prejudice against smaller-sized wrestlers (he didn't bring this up specifically but I'm throwing it in there).
12) Possibly making the wrong decision(s) with the implementation of WWE Network (to be continued).
13) Abiding too strictly to the PG-friendly era.
14) Promoting Cena so hard that it overshadows other stars on the roster.
15) El Torito.

OK, I made the last one up.

« Reply #331 on: December 07, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think Punk made a lot of great points about the problems inside WWE. Specifically:

3) Poor talent relations staff that is unknowledgeable about wrestling and also fail to actually represent the wrestler's concerns.
5) Conflict between attempting to be a true 21st century corporation while still maintaining unprofessional traditional wrestling and family business-style practices.
8) Bad vacation policy.
9) Emphasis on former stars for PPV events when they don't necessarily still provide the best matches and usually have shoehorned-in storylines.
11) Prejudice against smaller-sized wrestlers (he didn't bring this up specifically but I'm throwing it in there).
12) Possibly making the wrong decision(s) with the implementation of WWE Network (to be continued).
15) El Torito.

Could not have said it any better. TP.

To me I got it when Punk kind of told that WWE is so short sighted. No future plans for their Superstars. When he jobbed to part timers and he said what's next and they told him that "they don't know", that's the problem.

It's hard to be engaged in that environment knowing that your current feud would be your last and you'd lose all momentum after it.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2014, 02:07:40 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell

8) Bad vacation policy.
15) El Torito.

Could not have said it any better. TP.

To me I got it when Punk kind of told that WWE is so short sighted. No future plans for their Superstars. When he jobbed to part timers and he said what's next and they told him that "they don't know", that's the problem.

It's hard to be engaged in that environment knowing that your current feud would be your last and you'd lose all momentum after it.

To be fair, I think the WWE is in a tough spot. Wrestling no longer brings in the same numbers from the Attitude Era and it's possible without a revamp of the entire product it never will again. It could just be that in this day and age the format is outdated and those casual fans are never coming back. That's why they keep bringing back wrestlers from years past, to attract those casual fans who remember the good 'ole days but don't follow the WWE on a weekly basis anymore.

The exceptions would be Cena and Lesnar, but Cena I would argue is less well-known than the Rock was during his peak and Lesnar obviously is a rare situation where his UFC exposure made him unique cross-promotional star.

That being said I don't think you can just keep going back to the well and at some point you need to trust your own talent and elevate them. Sure, at first they may not draw as well as the old guys but this is an investment for the future. It's just not a good time because the WWE Network pressure is causing them to continue doubling down on old names.

Of course, it's not possible for every wrestler to be on top of the hierarchy at one time and there are ebbs and flows to every career. However, how much longer can you rely on the old guys with poor workrates? I love that Sting showed up but come on, the guy is like 55 years old. Guys like The Rock and Sting and Taker might produce more PPV buys but once they actually have a match is the actual product better or worse?

If you just look at the Lesnar situation the product in my opinion is much worse. He disappears for months and Raw really suffers because of it. So you're continuing to hurt your hardcore fans in the interest of ensuring the PPVs he DOES show up at get more buys. It's just not a smart long-term business strategy.

« Reply #333 on: December 07, 2014, 02:22:02 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
I'll just keep going and say that if they gave their regular roster more time off and stopped squeezing every last cent out of them to make money on house shows, they might actually have more time to take advantage of promotional events or other mediums that would increase their exposure and ultimately help both themselves AND the WWE. And I DO NOT mean giving them time off to appear in crappy direct-to-DVD "WWE Studios" movies (another thing CM Punk talked about).

Ironically, by leaving CM Punk actually increased the chance that his goal of headlining Wrestlemania would come true because if he stayed he would have just been buried and beat up physically. By having time off to write comics, appear on The Talking Dead, and now compete in UFC bouts, he's increased his profile by leaps and bounds. And that's exactly what he was complaining about - the WWE basically forced him to leave because they continually gave the top spots to old guys and part-timers and took their regular roster for granted.

On the podcast he brought up multiple examples of how he generated good business ideas and promotional opportunities but when he went to WWE about them he was either turned down or the spot was given to OTHER WRESTLERS. Like appearing at WizardWorld, the comic convention: He's probably the biggest comic book fan on the roster and initially they approached HIM to appear only. After he told the WWE they gave the convention appearances to other wrestlers and said he had to go wrestle house shows in Mexico! How does that make any sense at all?

« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2014, 03:37:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

On the podcast he brought up multiple examples of how he generated good business ideas and promotional opportunities but when he went to WWE about them he was either turned down or the spot was given to OTHER WRESTLERS. Like appearing at WizardWorld, the comic convention: He's probably the biggest comic book fan on the roster and initially they approached HIM to appear only. After he told the WWE they gave the convention appearances to other wrestlers and said he had to go wrestle house shows in Mexico! How does that make any sense at all?

Yeah i didn't get that. Especially when he got all those spots and WWE decided to just give it to somebody (the WizardWorls, Slim Jim, the 2K game). I mean, that alone would probably prompt him to leave already because HE EARNED that money.

Then add the ridiculous things about the fight shorts and endorsements, walking Sonnen in the Octagon as a great idea to boost Rumble buys that they shot down, only to give the same opporunities to Aitch and Brock (granted, Brock's case is probably different).

They just really didnt want Punk to be their flag bearer, despite him being a draw. He's right, those are ideas that not only benefit him, but could benefit the entire locker room and could raise morale.

They are also a marketing machine that easily, EASILY, promote anyone on their roster and get a ton of attention. But instead you're right, the lack of trust in their guys tends them to keep coming back to the old timers. Surely they can get their machine backup Dolph Ziggler and give him a ton of opportunities to get more exposed and draw money for the company. And there are so many others. Heck, it took them a close to boycott to finally realize Daniel Bryan was a draw. When every arena chanted Yes they finally figured out that he's money. And now Ambrose is getting it, and Ziggler. I cant imagine how much more they can get if they just get behind those guys and just trusts them.

« Reply #335 on: December 14, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
That was an incredible match for the IC title to start TLC. Harper and Ziggler can sell, man...

The rest of the card was put on notice.

« Reply #336 on: December 14, 2014, 08:46:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Damien MizDow. He's the Wrestling God's gift to the new fans.

He's entertaining as heck.

« Reply #337 on: December 14, 2014, 09:04:56 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Boring Stairs match. Any Big Show match has become boring... Just glad that Eric Rowan is atleast over with the fans.

« Reply #338 on: December 14, 2014, 09:33:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Was actually a great table match than I thought for Cena and Rollins.

The unpredictability helped sparked the interest, despite the lack of build up. Match was decent but you cant tell where they would go, making it an interesting table match.

And it ended well. Decent match, great finish.

« Reply #339 on: December 14, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Good Divas match.

Both Nikki and AJ are technically sound in that ring. And the finish, WOW, haven't seen that kind of ending in a while.

« Reply #340 on: December 14, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Should be an interesting TLC match.

Ambrose something else. Would like to see how far Bray Wyatt will take himself in a very dangerous match.

« Reply #341 on: December 14, 2014, 11:01:10 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Very physical but slow paced TLC match.

Don't know where this feud is going after this. Match is great, but confused with the finish.

Decent PPV IMO. Lack of a Heavyweight Championship match is starting to irritate me. Good thing the next PPV is the Rumble and I expect a great one.

« Reply #342 on: December 30, 2014, 01:04:30 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Daniel Bryan... Holy Lord, very good promo. 

Welcome back. Wrestling will be fun again.

« Reply #343 on: December 30, 2014, 01:17:20 AM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513

What happened?

« Reply #344 on: December 30, 2014, 01:32:28 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

What happened?

I kind of don't want to spoil it but what the heck.

He teased a retirement promo, almost in tears and everything. He was talking about his injuries and how everyone "gets into a crossroad" in their life, only to do the Daniel Bryan thing of yelling and telling everyone that he's going to the Royal Rumble. And the crowd, obviously, drowned the entire segment with YES chants.

Everyone thought it's a Rumble announcement when he came out, but the promo is just so perfectly executed that it kind of made it look like he may actually retire. For a minute I bought it, and so we're the crowd.

Awesome performance.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:39:02 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »