Author Topic: 19 years ago -- An amazing basketball game was played.  (Read 4478 times)

19 years ago -- An amazing basketball game was played.
« on: March 16, 2009, 11:49:03 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
One of the best college basketball games I ever saw took place 19 years ago on 3/17/90.  Read the below story from the NY Times.

Happy St. Patty's Day.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Southeast Regional; Georgia Tech Squeaks Past L.S.U.
By BARRY JACOBS, Special to The New York Times

Appropriately enough, the ball ended up in Kenny Anderson's hands. And after surviving 10 blocked shots, a 15-point blitz by Louisiana State in the game's opening minutes, and a final, desperation shot by the Tigers' Maurice Williamson, Georgia Tech watched the last second tick off the clock in a breathtaking 94-91 victory over L.S.U.

The victory by the fourth-seeded Yellow Jackets (26-6) sent them to a Southeast Regional semifinal game next Friday at New Orleans, where they will play top-seed Michigan State (28-5), a 62-58 winner over California-Santa Barbara.

It was only fitting that after Williamson's miss the ball caromed to Anderson, the 6-2 freshman from Rego Park, N.Y., who gave a performance in which he controlled the Yellow Jackets' offense with near-flawless aplomb, scored 26 points, grabbed 8 rebounds, came up with a crucial late steal and outplayed the two-time all-American Chris Jackson of L.S.U. ''The key thing for me was focus on what I've been doing all year,'' said Anderson, the Atlantic Coast Conference rookie of the year.

After the game Jackson, who scored only 13 points and missed 10 of 15 shots today, announced he would turn professional. ''I've just decided that I will enter the 1990 draft,'' said Jackson, the Southeastern Conference player of the year. ''I feel it's time for me to move on.''

The 6-foot-1-inch sophomore played against Georgia Tech despite chest discomfort and pain under his shoulder that required heavy medication. He was on the bench for the final 2 minutes 42 seconds, however, having fouled out with his team ahead by 88-87.

After Jackson fouled out, Georgia Tech regained the lead on two free throws by the senior guard Brian Oliver (18 points, 7 rebounds).

Twenty-four seconds later, L.S.U. tied the score at 89-89 on a free throw by the the freshman center Shaquille O'Neal, who finished with 19 points, 14 rebounds and 4 blocked shots.

Georgia Tech replied with a free throw by Dennis Scott, who finished with a game-high 30 points and 11 rebounds. L.S.U. came back with an inside basket by Williamson (16 points, 5 assists) that gave his team a 91-90 lead with 1:47 to go.

Anderson put the Jackets back in front with a penetrating jump shot 10 seconds later. Then at the other end, he tipped away a pass inside, and Georgia Tech went on offense. But Oliver missed a drive, and with 45 seconds left, L.S.U. called time out.

Trailing by a point, the Tigers held the ball, then looked to get it inside to O'Neal or his fellow 7-footer Stanley Roberts, a sophomore who had 21 points, 15 rebounds and 4 blocks. But Georgia Tech clogged the middle, and with no better option available the forward Vernel Singleton drove to the basket, missed, and fouled Scott on the rebound.

L.S.U. called another timeout, after which Scott made both ends of a one-and-one opportunity. The Tigers had a last chance, but Williamson's shot bounded off the rim into Anderson's hands, and Georgia Tech had advanced to the regional semifinals for the first time since 1986.

Early on, it appeared L.S.U. might blow the Yellow Jackets out of Thompson-Boling Assembly Center. After Georgia Tech took a quick 3-2 lead, L.S.U. exploded, repeatedly converting blocked shots into fast-break opportunities and easy baskets. In a span of 4:35, the Tigers scored on nine consecutive possessions to jump to a 22-5 advantage at the 13:12 mark of the first half. Georgia Tech's only basket during the outburst came on a goaltending call against Roberts on a shot by Scott.

But, as has repeatedly been the case during post-season play, when the Yellow Jackets needed a spark, Anderson provided it, scoring 6 consecutive points sandwiched around a layup by Singleton. Gradually, Georgia Tech fought back to trail by only 41-40 at halftime.

''We were just too, too high, and L.S.U. just took it right to us,'' said the Georgia Tech coach, Bobby Cremins, whose team hit only 37 percent of its shots, but committed a mere four turnovers and held a 52-51 rebounding edge against its larger rivals.

Cremins took heart from another statistic as well: all five teams that have defeated L.S.U. in games played in the second round or beyond in the N.C.A.A. tournament have gone on to capture the national title.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:40:20 AM by SShorefan 4.0 »
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

Re: 19 years ago -- An amazing basketball game was played.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:40:55 AM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
So, how many NBA players do you recognize in the story?
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
So, how many NBA players do you recognize in the story?
Five?

I miss Kenny Anderson. He was so much fun to watch while in college, and in his early years with the Nets and for one season with the Blazers. It's pity he was past his best when he landed in Boston.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I can't believe that Pitino traded Chauncey Billups for Kenny Anderson. Jeez that was one of 5 or 6 trade blunders Pitino made back in the late 90's.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I can't believe that Pitino traded Chauncey Billups for Kenny Anderson. Jeez that was one of 5 or 6 trade blunders Pitino made back in the late 90's.

Come on, Kenny was instrumental in the C's run to the Conference Finals in 2002, meanwhile, Billups bounced from team to team before finally developing into an All-Star in Detroit.  If it was so clear Chauncey would become what he has, than far more people missed that and even later than Pitino.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:41:27 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Kenny was one of my favourite players in the NBA and I really liked the trade for Billups. The problem with Kenny was that he wasn't the only playmaker when he was here, in particular under Obie. Walker and Pierce would often create their own plays...

That said, it was also shocking that Pitino traded Billups in his rookie year  ::)

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 07:49:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
That was actually a good trade, not a blunder.  Kenny came in and contributed immediately for several years after the trade and helped them get to the conference finals.

Billups kicked around on a few teams before developing into a decent player, nevermind getting to all-star level.  If Billups had not been traded, the pressure in Boston for young players to deliver quickly, especially high picks, would have weighed him down.  There's no way Boston fans would have accepted the timeline he needed to develop into someone useful.  If you have doubts, take a look at every rookie drafted and the reaction on this blog if they don't immediately deliver.  You can look at Giddens as a good example. He's being thrown in as trade fodder or being suggested as an outright cut from the team in his rookie year, behind an all-star starter (Ray) and 2 established 2 guards (House and TA) because he hasn't taken any of their minutes.  AND, Giddens was picked at the end of the first round.

Do you really think Billups as the #3 pick that year would have survived here for 4 years before developing into a contributing player and another 2 to get to be a top-level PG?

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Oh no. Please stop the kenny love fest. I hated that guy. I did a +/- analysis of Milt Palacio over Kenny Anderson before the stat was readily available. That's how much I hated Kenny.