Author Topic: Drafting Mistake  (Read 10528 times)

Drafting Mistake
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The teams that picked from #22 through #36 in last year's draft (including the Celtics) made a big miskake in not selecting Luc Mbah a Moute, who, with the possible exception of George Hill, is way better than any of other other players picked at those spots.  For starters, he defends.

Re: Drafting Mistake
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:08:50 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
The teams that picked from #22 through #36 in last year's draft (including the Celtics) made a big miskake in not selecting Luc Mbah a Moute, who, with the possible exception of George Hill, is way better than any of other other players picked at those spots.  For starters, he defends.

Hindsight is 20/20, nbadraft.net had him at 46 (and Erden at 38 for the record) - in a top heavy draft like this one, the end of the 1st and the whole second round is a crapshoot, and again its only been 3/4 of a year, give it time, if JR was playing big minutes for Milwaukee he may be doing similar things for the Bucks
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Whatever happened to DeVon Hardin?

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 07:26:25 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Isn't he a prince too?  He's like Eddie Murphy in "Coming to America"
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker

Hindsight is 20/20, nbadraft.net had him at 46 (and Erden at 38 for the record) - in a top heavy draft like this one, the end of the 1st and the whole second round is a crapshoot, and again its only been 3/4 of a year, give it time, if JR was playing big minutes for Milwaukee he may be doing similar things for the Bucks

Hindsight shouldn't be 20-20 for professionals like Ainge who have access to information (especially film) that mere fans like us never see and that the Jon Givorneys (the guy who runs DraftExpress) of the world never see.  When you are paid (in part) for your drafting acumen, passing on a clearly superior player is a mistake. It can't be rationalized away.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Doc and Danny have actually said similar stuff about JR's defense, such as (paraphrasing)

"his offense needs to catch up, but we feel that he's good enough right now for the NBA defensively"

I actually think that if he made it a goal of his, that he could make an All-Defensive team. but then again so could alot of players if that was the type of thing NBA stars drove for.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:22:21 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

Hindsight shouldn't be 20-20 for professionals like Ainge who have access to information (especially film) that mere fans like us never see and that the Jon Givorneys (the guy who runs DraftExpress) of the world never see.  When you are paid (in part) for your drafting acumen, passing on a clearly superior player is a mistake. It can't be rationalized away.

If it were that easy, the League could just hire one guy who would assign the rookies to their teams.  There are so many variables that even with the best info, these guys are still rolling the dice. 

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
The truth is, Giddens plays at the 2 where we have been set all year. There was no way he would see the light of day. If he had been that good, he would have been picked higher. We have to remember that anything you get from players picked past 25 give or take is complete gravy.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Meh... for months I was the only one touting this guy, nice to see people joining the bandwagon. I've been a fan of LRMAM since his freshman year in college and I'd absolutely have drafted him if I were a GM picking in the late 1st, early 2nd, but even I'm surprised how good he's been. Terrific defender and his offensive game - horrific by the start of the season - as been progressing steadily.

if JR was playing big minutes for Milwaukee he may be doing similar things for the Bucks

How do you know that? Is that even reasonable to expect? I don't think so. If JR Giddens was as good as LRMAM, I guarantee he'd be getting minutes in the C's.

I actually think that if he made it a goal of his, that he could make an All-Defensive team.

Who? JR Giddens?

He's playing in Greece. He isn't NBA material.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:00:16 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 10:33:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Good for Luc that he is doing so well. 
But, it is a little early to hand out the awards for 2008 draft.  It will take a few years to know where everyone will fall if there were to be a do-over. 
One good thing for Milwaukee though is that they signed him to a 3 year deal, so if Luc turns out to be worth it they stand a good chance of keeping him.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 12:43:24 AM »

Offline WayneKreklow

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
As someone who catches about 70% of UCLA's games in person, Luc was a lot of fun to watch and root for during his years in Westwood.

But being honest? No way did I or any of the people I sit with even think he would be playing in the NBA, let alone having the success he's had. We thought he'd be playing in Greece or Italy.

He's a great example of someone who took every facet of his game seriously. His conditioning is vastly improved, he has lost the baby fat and is driving and shooting with confidence.

If he had played this style last year, the NCAA's would have had a different result

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 03:49:00 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Meh... for months I was the only one touting this guy, nice to see people joining the bandwagon. I've been a fan of LRMAM since his freshman year in college and I'd absolutely have drafted him if I were a GM picking in the late 1st, early 2nd, but even I'm surprised how good he's been. Terrific defender and his offensive game - horrific by the start of the season - as been progressing steadily.

if JR was playing big minutes for Milwaukee he may be doing similar things for the Bucks

How do you know that? Is that even reasonable to expect? I don't think so. If JR Giddens was as good as LRMAM, I guarantee he'd be getting minutes in the C's.

I actually think that if he made it a goal of his, that he could make an All-Defensive team.

Who? JR Giddens?

He's playing in Greece. He isn't NBA material.

JR was a good defensive player in college, and if this lack of playing time is doing anything its making him work on EVERY part of his game, he was the mountain west MVP, led the league in rebounds as a guard....he's not just some louch, hell if he didn't get into all the crap at Kansas he would have probably been drafted in 07 at an earlier spot.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 07:19:26 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93

FIRE DANNY NOW!!!

You are so right, Brick. And I'm TOTALLY backing your view that Durant isn't going to be much of an NBA player. The #s he puts up are a FLUKE.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 07:53:59 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
Durant's numbers aren't a fluke.  He can score.  But he doesn't pass the ball and he doesn't defend, and therefore he won't win.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 08:42:26 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
NO question I'd rather have LMAM right now - but it was rather difficult to forecast this coming out of college.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."