Author Topic: The NBA wants Lebron to travel more  (Read 20731 times)

Re: The NBA wants Lebron to travel more
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't know if it's fair to single out LeBron James. He surely "benefits" from the situation, but it's not things where different to Dr. J or Michael Jordan, just like they aren't different to Wade or Kobe.

The problem with the travel call at this level is that, whichever the rule and the interpretation may be, it's a very difficult to detect with sureness a travel violation and call it. I think most of these efforts to clarify the issue will prove to be futile. The game is so fast that referees have to base their calls on instinct; the problem with this is that some players are so fluid and quick with their movements that they are able to get away with violations; others will look awkward executing the exact same movement and be called for it. Having a 4th ref exclusively calling travel violations maybe the only way of minimizing these mistakes, but I'm not sure how much the situation would improve.

I think lebron is taking the flak because of what he said in the article about "getting his move back" and such. He's the only NBA player they went to, and the article clearly links this to his complaints about the fact that he sometimes gets called for a corect traveling violation, once every blue moon.

I'm sure if Dwhistle had waxed on about getting an illegal move back, the title would be NBA wants wade to travel more.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I can't even express how much this is p---ing me off...

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Also, I'm not sure NBA fans would like to see the travel violations called a la FIBA - which is even more strict than in the NCAA, especially when it comes to lift the pivot before putting the ball on the floor. That would take away a big part of the NBA game, you'd see far less breaking down off the dribble, less guys getting to the rim, less successful fast-breaks. It's a big change, most American players who come to Europe take some months of practices and games before fulling adapt to the way travels are called (and some never do).

I frequently see NBA fans claiming the NBA to make changes on the officiating orientations and rules that pretty much resemble the FIBA ones (allow a more physical game, call the travel violation strictly, don't over-protect the shooters, allow zones, allow hand-checking, etc.), but I don't know if they were aware of how deeply that would impact the game - and if they actually would like to see a game where teams would rarely score more than 90 ppg, where big scorers would pretty much disappear, where jump-shooters would dominate the offence, etc.

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 03:33:56 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
this just means that the U.S is eventually going to generate players who are not capable of competing in international games because they can't follow the rules. Hopefully after LBJ and DWade retire they will change it back like the rule changes they made for shaq in the past

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

;)

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 03:44:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpQBD672HkQ

Yuck. The second video...Lebron stepped 4 times. 4! Nobody cares. It does make me a lil sick.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If it is so difficult for the naked eye of some of the referees to see the traveling that goes on than perhaps the NBA should make some of the 55 and older crowd that referee some of their games go because perhaps their reflexes aren't nearly as adept as they once were and a younger eye might be able to see it better.

Over a third of all NBA referees are over 50 years old. There are certain propfessions where people above a certain age just can't do the job anymore. Perhaps officiating an NBA game is one of them. I mean, take a look at some of the ages of the referees that people complain about the most. Mauer, Salvatore, Dan Crawford, Bavetta, Delaney, they are all over 50 years old.

I know nothing about the anatomy of the human eye or about the speed at which the human brain can translate what they see to action, but like everything else, I assume it must slow with time. This isn't baseball or football where an ump can take a half second or so to interpret what he saw and make the call and not have it effect the game speed or outcome if he doesn't render a decision immediately. Basketball requires almost instant decision making reactions. Perhaps older guys just can't do that as fast as younger guys. Perhaps the speed of this particular brand of basketball has passed them by and they need to go ref college and high school games.

http://phillyref.com/basketball/nbarefs/nbarefs.html

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 04:10:02 PM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
While we have the rule book open, do you think we change a couple of other aspects of the game that could be considered a little outdated.

We could make field goals worth more, say 7 or 8 points each.  Maybe add trampolines in the paint?
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
While we have the rule book open, do you think we change a couple of other aspects of the game that could be considered a little outdated.

We could make field goals worth more, say 7 or 8 points each.  Maybe add trampolines in the paint?

Just eliminate dribbling.

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

Just eliminate dribbling.

Maybe just switch to the old rock and jock MTV bball jam rules?

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 05:26:13 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
If they make "palming" legal we should start TA next season.

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
That video shows Lebron taking only 2 steps after he firmly picks up his dribble and places the ball in both hands.

To the naked eye, in real time, it looks like 3 steps.

By slow motion it is in fact only 2 steps.

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
This rule change situation seems to happen every so many years as a new "superstar" comes into the league and the league needs a new player to market its game. With MJ, there was some kind of "hand checking" rule that was disallowed and with Kobe it was even further restricted. Both changes allowed these players to look even better then they were. Now, I am not trying to take anything away from either player, they did not request the changes. They were both just playing the NBA's game.

It's kind of funny though. When you look at how Wilt dominated the game and all of the rule changes that were put in place to slow down his game and now most of the changes are made to further promote the superstar. It's kind of ridiculous really but the NBA is a business long before it's a game.

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 07:18:43 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
That video shows Lebron taking only 2 steps after he firmly picks up his dribble and places the ball in both hands.

To the naked eye, in real time, it looks like 3 steps.

By slow motion it is in fact only 2 steps.

Hmm... does that mean that if I hold the basketball just with a single hand I can go coast-to-coast without dribbling it? That's great, I'll try that on my Sunday pick-up game and see what the guys say.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
It's kind of funny though. When you look at how Wilt dominated the game and all of the rule changes that were put in place to slow down his game and now most of the changes are made to further promote the superstar.

Exactly!  And for Wilt the rules changes started long before he played a single NBA game.  That's how totally dominate he was from the time he played high school ball.

I don't remember the NBA having to change any rules for Magic or Bird. 

If they change the traveling rule the NBA will turn into a complete joke.